The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default HUGE JINGLES & AO for this mare and her family during this horrible time period ~

HUGE Jingles & AO for this mare and her family during this tough tough time period ~

Jingles laced with strength and patience for ALL ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Jingling too. Lying down is actually a good thing, encourage her to lie down. (I think OP mentioned that maresie is standing up, as if that is a good thing?) You really, really want the horse to spend time off of the feet. Thanks for explaining the high heels thing; that actually makes sense even though at first it seemed counter-intuitive.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Here's an explanation from Nanric (manufacturer of Ultimates) about the high heels:

"Providing this device as an emergency aid can greatly reduce or prevent displacement (rotation and/or sinking) of the coffin bone. Extensive venogram studies have shown a direct relationship between DDF laxity and improved circulation to the laminae and sole corium. Enhancing blood flow to compromised feet is the first step to enhancing the healing environment. Time is always of the essence. For best results, always consider acute laminitis an emergency, regardless of how quickly the horse responds to medication."

I've seen the difference on venograms...it can be a huge difference in blood flow.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default Sending weekend Jingles for some rest and recovery for this mare and her family ~

Sending Jingles for some rest and recovery this weekend for ALL ~ AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I have never used this guy but have followed some of the horses he has worked on. I am following Ollie of Frog Pond Farm right now who this gentleman has worked on. If you can, facebook Esco Buff. He may be able to help. Some of the horses he has worked on, if I had owned them I would have put them down. But when you look at the after xray pics its amazing. I havent found anything bad posted about him. Maybe give that a try? I will keep your mare in my thoughts. Being preggers kind of complicates things a bit. Hopefully she will pull through with a healthy happy youngster.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPony View Post
    I have never used this guy but have followed some of the horses he has worked on. I am following Ollie of Frog Pond Farm right now who this gentleman has worked on. If you can, facebook Esco Buff. He may be able to help. Some of the horses he has worked on, if I had owned them I would have put them down. But when you look at the after xray pics its amazing. I havent found anything bad posted about him. Maybe give that a try? I will keep your mare in my thoughts. Being preggers kind of complicates things a bit. Hopefully she will pull through with a healthy happy youngster.
    This guy is awesome! My farrier consults with him about my horse. Truly amazing and his success rate is outstanding!

Dalemma - I would think peat moss would act the same - only by compression, not flowing? A thick bed is quite spongy so the hoof would sink the same though maybe it wouldn't support the sole as much?

Are you icing her feet/legs? There have been a few studies that have shown some success. Its more of an acute thing but if she's still having changes I would give it a try.

Also in regards to the cox-2 study how did they determine the detrimental handling effects for pregnant women? *can't see the link you posted* since it's no longer used in human med were they just people in the study or older case reports?

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    It's a good question and I'm not entirely sure I have 100% of a grasp on it,
    If you trust the professionals you have hired to help your horse, then understanding their theories and protocols is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    If you trust the professionals you have hired to help your horse, then understanding their theories and protocols is irrelevant.
    Yes, but "an educated consumer is our best customer" is something I wholeheartedly believe in. So long as the education is not a dogmatic "I know better because I Googled it and all you doctors are idiots" sort of attitude.
    Click here before you buy.

Wow, I'm so sorry that you and your mare are going through this, what a nightmare. My horse foundered just over 2 years ago and reading this makes me want to cry.

I can tell you that the soft ride boots made my horse go from a cripple to being able to walk. I couldn't believe it, I now call them the magic boots. They offered the support he needed. He lived in them for many months.

Like you, I tried to read and speak with as many people as possible. The yahoo cushings group totally overwhelmed me.

Best of luck to you and your mare.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yes, but "an educated consumer is our best customer" is something I wholeheartedly believe in.
    NO KIDDING. The protocol of blindly trusting and never questioning a professional is not a good idea. Also, a good professional will try to inform a client if that client asks questions, with clear, concise answers to queries.

2 members found this post helpful.

The protocol of blindly trusting and never questioning a professional is not a good idea.
    IME it is a very individual thing, and somewhat generational. For better or for worse, there are a good many people who grew up to not question "authority" and to put their faith in professionals. And there are a good many people who grew up thinking quite the opposite. Neither is entirely wrong or right, but there are individuals on each end of the spectrum and many somewhere in between.

Sometimes it is alien and bewildering to an individual and they want no part of hearing long explanations of complicated things, and one is torn between being somewhat patronizing and paternalistic vs. trying to convey the necessary information. Others question every last thing and one struggles to find any sort of trust. My personal feeling is that blind trust is rarely good (although we ask our kids and animals to have it!) but the willingness and ability to have faith in a professional, even if things go beyond what one can personally grasp and understand, is extremely helpful.

IME it is a very individual thing, and somewhat generational. For better or for worse, there are a good many people who grew up to not question "authority" and to put their faith in professionals. And there are a good many people who grew up thinking quite the opposite. Neither is entirely wrong or right, but there are individuals on each end of the spectrum and many somewhere in between.

Sometimes it is alien and bewildering to an individual and they want no part of hearing long explanations of complicated things, and one is torn between being somewhat patronizing and paternalistic vs. trying to convey the necessary information. Others question every last thing and one struggles to find any sort of trust. My personal feeling is that blind trust is rarely good (although we ask our kids and animals to have it!) but the willingness and ability to have faith in a professional, even if things go beyond what one can personally grasp and understand, is extremely helpful.
    That's why I stated that clear, CONCISE answers are important, and kids and animals have nothing to do with the current discussion involving a professional/ client relationship. I had a molecular biology professor who could describe her experiments to layman very well. Granted, she's a very smart lady, but she proves that it's possible to package complicated concepts into highly digestible packets of information.

Some patients do just want to be told what to do, but DH (family physician) always outlines their options and lets them know that the ultimate decision is up to them. Such patients will then ask him "Well then what would you do?" and he will answer.

I'd rather be a well-informed client than not because every professional has lapses in judgement and makes mistakes.

I've put my faith in professionals and gotten burned more than once (by different professionals in different fields), so I am not one to blindly trust.

Prayers for your mare and for you!

Why are they not recommending prascend? It stopped the pulses in my mare in a day or two.
    Last edited by pixie; Mar. 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

it's possible to package complicated concepts into highly digestible packets of information
    Definitely. Assuming the listener isn't hard of hearing, mildly demented, miserably sick and hasn't slept in three days!

It is very definitely NOT on the medical school curriculum. One has to figure it out the hard way.

Yes, but "an educated consumer is our best customer" is something I wholeheartedly believe in. So long as the education is not a dogmatic "I know better because I Googled it and all you doctors are idiots" sort of attitude.
    The essay the OP wrote on her less than 100% understanding was about 90% errors. The essay proves is that the OP didn't take good notes and got the terminology and the mechanics and the theory wrong. That nobody else among the hoof expert dilettantes caught the errors and pointed them out is quite telling of how well educated this group is.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    . . . I had a molecular biology professor who could describe her experiments to layman very well. Granted, she's a very smart lady, but she proves that it's possible to package complicated concepts into highly digestible packets of information.
    And one hour later every layman would be unable to accurately explain to another layman anything that they were told unless they took damned good notes. Very few people can retain that kind of information without studying and reviewing it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    That nobody else among the hoof expert dilettantes caught the errors and pointed them out is quite telling of how well educated this group is.
    Perhaps nobody is brave enough to try to correct things for fear that a few less than tactful posters will rain holy terror down on them if there's one little misstep.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The "high heels/heel lift" caught my eye. Why was that prescribed? That seems so counterproductive to a "moving" foot as it really increases pressure on the toe I'm not knocking you, just trying to understand something that most laminitis/founder experts say is a huge no-no, and why it's a good thing in this case

Still jingling very madly that she stabilizes soon so she can start to recover!

My show mare also foundered about 2 years ago. After 1 year with heel lifts she is now back to normal and getting worked on hard surfaces without any issues. No idea why it works but farrier has worked with a vet for years and says he's never had this fail yet.
    Sandy in Fla.