The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grazing Muzzle guilt...

I have never used a grazing muzzle or been around anyone else that has used one... but I have a fat stocky QH cutting bred gelding who's body type is meant to be thick and solid. But the new farm has more grass than I have horses to eat it. And he's gaining too much weight so I broke down and decided to be a mean mom, I got a grazing muzzle for the fat man. He's been wearing it for the past week at night and he hates me now... to the extent that he ditches the other horses and hides at the back of the pasture out of sight... he's normally a puppy dog type of horse so I'm hoping this is just pouting and he will return to his normal self in time.

I started out with him wearing it approx. 10-11 hours at a time. He figured out how to eat and drink within 10 minutes of wearing it so I'm sure he's already at 100% grazing capabilities when he is wearing it. For those of you that use them how long do you normally let your horses wear them? 24/7? 12/12? I know it's an as needed but I'm curious about everyone else.

I'm in the south, hot doesn't even to begin to describe the heat, so I put the grazing muzzle on at night with the assumption that they graze more at night when it's cooler vs. during the day when 90% of the time I see them standing in the shade sweating and napping. Is this sound thinking? I'm not thrilled with the thought of him wearing it during the day because of the heat and it being black and heavy.

What are your grazing muzzle procedures?

23 hours a day - it comes off when they come in for breakfast.

It stays on as long as it needs to. For mine, right now, that is all the time they are on grass, period, and that's 22-23 hours a day.

You can cut out some extra holes where the nostrils are without compromising the integrity of the muzzle.

My pony would wear it 24/7 when grass was really lush.

You aren't being a mean mom at all. Would you let a 2 legged child exist on oreos and cokes? Being in a position of responsibility for anything alive means that you have to make unpopular decisions for their best interest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

1 members found this post helpful.

"Mean" is putting a horse at risk for deadly and excruciating laminitis unnecessarily. Harden your heart. It's part of being responsible for another creature that can't choose wisely for itself.
    Click here before you buy.

9 members found this post helpful.

I have a quarter horse built similar to the way you describe yours. He is overweight and had a recent bout of laminitis. Even though I am sure it was related to a too abrupt feed change I also bought a muzzle and have him wear it at night. He is still his very friendly self even though he doesn't like it.

Unfortunately for the horse I had to learn the hard way that he doesn't need any grain and the muzzle is necessary to help control his weight.

Our Fatty-McFat-fat wears his muzzle anytime he has access to grass. He's stalled overnight so that he has a chance to exist without the muzzle, puts it on every morning.

He come up for supper like always, there were a few days of pouting but then he got over it. Now he sticks his head right in it as soon as you open the stall door in the morning. I guess he figures muzzle is better than a dry lot.

Big Mama gets muzzled up every time she goes out regardless of weather conditions. Better sad than fat and foundered.

Far less misery than founder. and they do learn to live with it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I too was new to grazing muzzles. With this constant rain our pastures are super rich, sugary, dense grass now, and Beefy was getting some ugly looking cottage cheese neck.

A friend told me to put a cookie in the muzzle every time you put it on. This was THE best advice! If Beefy sees his muzzle, he will mow you over to put his face in it. He seems to only associate it with cookies.

Try the cookies. Dumor from tractor supply are big enough that they don't slip out of the basket.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

Mine wears his every time he's out on grass. He's stalled during the day and when it's turn out time he puts his head right in the muzzle. He knows what the muzzle means. He's also quite good at grazing with it on, it just slows him down and he has to work a little harder for his grass.
    Last edited by mswillie; Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

A horse that is boarded at my house HATED getting his muzzle on... It would take forever to get it on, even in the stall. Started putting a peppermint in it and now he can't wait for it (I doubt that but is soooo much easier). I'd rather muzzle than have an overweight horse, such as this guy at my house. He had a ton of lameness issues after his first summer on my grass, now he's lost the weight and doing great. But to keep off the weight he is muzzled 24/7, Sunday night to Friday night, then just during the day Saturday and Sunday.

Yes, cookies!! I regularly use the Manna Pro Apple Wafers. They are big enough to stay in, and yes, sometimes they will make it very difficult to get the muzzle on because they're so busy trying to get to the treat LOL

If you find you only need it on part of the time, then make catching him a big deal for its removal. When I was in that position, one horse would never, ever, not in a million years be caught in the pasture to have it put ON, so I put it on after breakfast, kicked them back out, and last thing at night I'd go into the pasture and he'd come find me because he knew it was coming off. I had previously tried to put it on at night, in the pasture - nuh-uh, not happen'n.

*sigh* I guess I'll have to buy some cookies and break it to him that he will be living in the thing... he may see the silver lining as I don't feed treats ever. (his one quirk is that he can be a little mouthy, he hasn't ever offered to bite but I haven't enabled the habit by hand feeding)

I ended up getting the breathe easy muzzle that attaches to the halter, it seems to fit pretty good and not get in the way of his nostrils... I like it so much better than other brands I looked at or purchased and returned. Fortunately he has not foundered but I have always been concerned with his weight and it's impact on his legs & joints (after all an 11 yo sound Reiner is almost unheard of)...

One other question how does it affect their ability to lick salt/mineral blocks and tubs? I keep a poured vitamin/mineral/salt tub in the pasture to make up for any imbalances they may have in their diet and want him to still have some access to it. Along with needing access to salt. I assume he can still lick through the hole but it will affect his consumption of that as well. He's had a rough go of it with his feet and the tub has made a visible difference in the last year he's had access to it.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yes, cookies!! I regularly use the Manna Pro Apple Wafers. They are big enough to stay in, and yes, sometimes they will make it very difficult to get the muzzle on because they're so busy trying to get to the treat LOL

If you find you only need it on part of the time, then make catching him a big deal for its removal. When I was in that position, one horse would never, ever, not in a million years be caught in the pasture to have it put ON, so I put it on after breakfast, kicked them back out, and last thing at night I'd go into the pasture and he'd come find me because he knew it was coming off. I had previously tried to put it on at night, in the pasture - nuh-uh, not happen'n.
    He's started walking away from me after dinner (stalls aren't finished yet so they've been getting fed in the pasture)... I know it's only a matter of time until I'm chasing him on the 4 wheeler... (don't skin me alive for mentioning that, he knows what a 4-wheeler is and what it means and won't run from one of those). which is another reason I've been putting it on at night and taking it off in the morning, I have an unlimited amount of time to chase him at night, not so much in the morning.

[QUOTE=Char;7080630]Our Fatty-McFat-fat wears his muzzle anytime he has access to grass. He's stalled overnight so that he has a chance to exist without the muzzle, puts it on every morning.

QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one that had a Fatty-McFat-fat!! MINE wears hers 24/7, since she's out all the time.

Yes, she hates me. My kids hate me when I tell them they can't have ice cream for dinner too, but it's my responsibility to take care of them so that's how it's got to be.

I will put in a quick product endorsement. I switched from Best Friends to the Tuff-On EZ Breathe and LOVE it! Has much bigger nostril openings and knock on wood, doesn't rub like the Best Friends did!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    One other question how does it affect their ability to lick salt/mineral blocks and tubs? I keep a poured vitamin/mineral/salt tub in the pasture to make up for any imbalances they may have in their diet and want him to still have some access to it. Along with needing access to salt. I assume he can still lick through the hole but it will affect his consumption of that as well. He's had a rough go of it with his feet and the tub has made a visible difference in the last year he's had access to it.
    I believe they can still lick it... Does he get any sort of feed? The guy at my barn is on a ration balancer so I keep a salt like in his feed bucket to slow him down as well as get some salt while his muzzle is off.

Even my highly suspicious and hates being handled mini mule has come to grips with wearing her muzzle this summer. She's figured out that even though she doesn't like it...

a) I will win and it will go on
    b) she only gets to go out on pasture if she's wearing it
    c) there will be a cooking given just before it goes on (this is to catch the un-catchable creature - she's difficult to get your hands on no matter the reason).

I felt bad about it for the first few weeks, but she's actually losing a bit of weight and I like knowing that I can leave them out in the pasture for longer without worrying about her. She's stopped being mad about it lately - for a while she would drag it on the ground the whole way out to the pasture and the whole way back. Never did manage to get it off though.

She gets it off when they come up to the dry lot for the night. I'm pretty sure she can lick the salt block with it on, and she definitely drinks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    *sigh* I guess I'll have to buy some cookies and break it to him that he will be living in the thing... he may see the silver lining as I don't feed treats ever. (his one quirk is that he can be a little mouthy, he hasn't ever offered to bite but I haven't enabled the habit by hand feeding)
    The good thing is the treat goes in the muzzle, not your hand, so he'll be mouthy towards the muzzle and not you

I ended up getting the breathe easy muzzle that attaches to the halter, it seems to fit pretty good and not get in the way of his nostrils... I like it so much better than other brands I looked at or purchased and returned. Fortunately he has not foundered but I have always been concerned with his weight and it's impact on his legs & joints (after all an 11 yo sound Reiner is almost unheard of)...
    Good choice

Thanks everyone for the replies!
    You will really want to have some time each day unmuzzled for access to salt/minerals. If this is stalled, or tied to a post with a bucket, etc, doesn't really matter, but yeah, there should be some time of access to those things

24/7, unless in a stall or dry lot. Make sure you take it off once a day, and wash off any sweat or feed that is stuck under it so it doesn't start to rub.

I started putting it on both my mare and gelding, 24/7.. they only get it off when I am there and in the barn. The gelding is doing ok with it, not pouting. The mare is another story. I am on my second Best Friends (two different models). The first one rubbed too much, so I got another one with more adjustments etc. She had it on two days when the BO sent me a text that she had (again) a very thick and smelly discharge (remnants of a sinus infection 1 1/2 yr ago)... and the flies were loving her. BO took off and washed the muzzle and asked me if I wanted the vet to look at her since she was coming for another horse. So now, the mare is on 2 x/day abx and not wearing the muzzle until the discharge is gone and stay gone. I don't think it is related to wearing the muzzle but w/o, there is no guck stuck .... I can't win...