The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Greyhound rescues in MD?

I've got a friend who lost a very special dog four years ago. They're finally ready for another. She wants a greyhound, but needs a reputable rescue.

She has two cats, one of which is rather cranky and chronically fat despite hard work. She and her husband also have a two year old.

She doesn't want to risk a rescue misrepresenting a dog. They're capable of working with and training a dog, but don't want to start badly.

Any tips of rescues to use or avoid?

I think this is the rescue I knew about back in the day when I was active with Ridgeback Rescue.

Greyt Expectations

He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My sister rescues them also! They are wonderful pets -- any greyhound track will have a rescue that is usually dedicated to helping each dog find the right person. If you need further help, PM me for the contact here and they can help you with a rescue near you -- they all network.
    Best of luck!

Several of my co-workers have adopted dogs from the GPA - Greyhound Pets of America. They adopted from the Tennessee chapter, but there's a Maryland chapter. In each instance, the GPA helped them choose dog suited to their specific needs - high prey, low prey, only dog, etc. They really know the dogs they have for adoption and care about placing them in the right home. The link above is for the Maryland chapter.

Lexington, KY

There's a great rescue in Philadelphia...let me know if you want their contact info. A friend adopted a greyhound from them over the summer.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
    ~ John F. Kennedy

I understand the need for a reputable rescue. You will only get high praise for the breed from me - I miss mine so much, she was perfect for me and adored me, was loyal and obedient with low prey drive....

Write to the rescue and tell them all you want or do not want in a dog - they picked the perfect match for me. It does stake a little time to get them to fit into their new lives since everything is so completely different to what they are used to.

I hope your friends can find it in their hearts to help out one of these lovely dogs.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique