The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The only tank tops I wear (riding or not) are men's undershirts. I'm tall and overly blessed in the chest region. These are nice and long, and they're not low-cut at all. Plus they're super cheap.

My barn has the no-tank-tops rule because of road rash.

I am extremely modest by nature so I would never wear a tank top alone in public much less while riding. The closest I get is a yoga top when working out but it is closer to a sleeve less slight V neck shirt than a tank top.

I love picking up ralph lauren polos at consignment shops for next to nothing. They are well made and I don't feel bad if they get a stain or two. I have 5 or 6 that are several years old now and still look nice enough to lesson or clinic. This year I want to pick up a few technical polos for July/August to see if a wicking fabric helps out at all when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

So my summer school apparel is polo tucked into breeches with tall boots unless it is an off day and I really need to do laundry in which case I'll go out in a lightly fitted t-shirt.

Even if you aren't worried about road rash, think about protecting your chest from sun damage. All of those years of exposure (even with sunblock) can lead to a lot of discoloration, wrinkles, etc. A higher necked sleeved shirt is a fool proof way to protect some of the more delicate areas from the sun.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    This year I want to pick up a few technical polos for July/August to see if a wicking fabric helps out at all when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

Even if you aren't worried about road rash, think about protecting your chest from sun damage. All of those years of exposure (even with sunblock) can lead to a lot of discoloration, wrinkles, etc. A higher necked sleeved shirt is a fool proof way to protect some of the more delicate areas from the sun.
    As someone with several nice "wicking" UA tshirts bought specifically for summer riding, nothing works in midatlantic summers. Though I will still wear those for lessons.

Younger, I did sometimes ride in tank tops for schooling. I don't anymore, mainly out of concern for sun damage to my skin than anything else.

I ride in equestrian tops (UA for winter) and exclusively Kerrits for sleeveless. They have all the athletic advantages of the technical fabrics and have coverage where it should be. I find I stay cooler without sleeves, don't know why, but in the same exact shirt (like a ventilator) if I push up my sleeves to make it like sleeveless, I'm cooler.

My riding bra is an Enell bra, and it probably keeps me hotter because of all the thick fabric and coverage. There's also no way you could nicely wear a spaghetti or thick strap tank with it and not look ridiculous. Plus, there's no bounce with this bra - I do find that VERY distracting to see and it tends to happen more obviously in spaghetti tops.
    Last edited by shadowanne; Feb. 20, 2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    So women who aren't ashamed that they are women and have breast have no self respect. Sounds like you may need to take some time and really think about that.
    You argue like a child, calling misogynists anyone who thinks that some modesty in public (from both genders) is called for.

I don't need to take any time to think about anything but it sounds like you need some time to grow up.

To keep this on topic, I buy inexpensive synthetic golf shirts from department stores for summer riding. They wick like crazy, aren't clingy, dry very rapidly, and usually cost $30 or less.

3 members found this post helpful.

Highly recommend LL Bean for cheap-o polo shirts. Scour the clearance sales, I usually manage to find long and short sleeve polos, some in technical fabrics, for under $10.

For you tall people - they also have tall sizes so the vertically blessed can still tuck their shirts in!

2 members found this post helpful.

I miss the point of a tank top now days. The kids I see riding in the spaghetti strap style usually have two tank tops on. How is it cooler to wear two layers?

A polo shirt made of modern athletic fabrics is not anywhere near as warm as wearing two layers.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I do not personally ride in spaghetti strap tank tops. The farm that hosted our college IHSA team did not permit them. When some of our riders complained, I recounted the true story of Ashley- name changed to protect the innocent- who face-planted after leaping up the neck at a fence. She slid across the ring on her chest. Her tank top and bra were both pushed below her breasts and she had sand rash in a very uncomfortable place. Did I mention this was at a horse show on schooling day and she now needed to put her shirt back on in front of a rather large audience?

And that, ladies, is either why you don't wear tank tops, or why you don't jump up the horse's neck.

I personally don't find them supportive enough for sitting trot, either. But I have no problem with schooling in the ribbed non-spaghetti strap variety over a bra provided it covers the bra. I'm not into showing everybody my underwear.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I don't mind tank tops, but my trainer dislikes them for her riders, so out of courtesy to her, I don't wear them. I like to wear sleeveless polos during the summer. They are cool and look good. My trainer has no objection to these.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I forgot to add golf shirts are actually perfect for riding. Are midatlantic summers hotter than Southern summers? Because I've always been perfectly cool in a EIS shirt and it gets to be 1099028390839012093128390839018039809 + humidity down here sometimes, not even kidding.
    And honestly I have mark just fading from getting road rash when I face planted a month ago, it's unsightly and it hurt really bad. It's much easier to just cover up. You don't see men riding around without their shirts on, or with a tank top, so it's not a feminism thing. (and if you do, I suggest you move to a barn with a little more class, that's dangerous). I don't care what we wear in public when not in a sports environment, (go topless for all I care, just wear what you'd like) but riding in a tank top is dangerous and provides lots of opportunity for boob slips.
    Also speaking from experience, it hurts horribly when a horse grabs the back of a spaghetti strap and snaps it.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Tanks when on my farm and nice pools when lessoning or off the property.

So greatful to get to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Maybe I'm just getting old but I really don't feel appropriate riding in a tank top anymore. I love the EIS shirts (and those that are similar), and now that I've had a battle with skin cancer, I'm all about the full coverage. Plus no tan lines!
    I second this. My trainer also doesn't allow us to, but I also feel that it looks more professional schooling in something other than a tank top. I normally wear a very light cotton, form fitting shirt or a polo so I am still comfortable and so my trainer can still point out any equitation flaws that you can't see in a loose fitting t-shirt. The EIS shirts are worth their weight in gold. I have borrowed one from a friend before and fell in love.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I forgot to add golf shirts are actually perfect for riding. Are midatlantic summers hotter than Southern summers? Because I've always been perfectly cool in a EIS shirt and it gets to be 1099028390839012093128390839018039809 + humidity down here sometimes, not even kidding.
    It's pretty much the same. DC is August is the most miserable place on earth. I've never found anything, from any fancy outdoor sportswear manufacturer that will do anything to keep you "cool" because the fabrics supposedly cool by wicking the sweat away from your body, cooling by evaporation. Except when it's 95% humidity, there's nowhere for the moisture to evaporate to. Other than the fabrics being lighter than cotton, I don't notice any appreciable difference between a UA /Columbia/Patagonia technical fabric shirt and the $8 cotton polo from Old Navy, other than the price Yet since I've shelled out for them in the hope that they do something, I figure I might as well keep wearing them!

My trainer doesn't allow tank tops and camisoles in lessons, collar and short sleeves are the minimum and I have to say I agree with her for several reasons, including that it just looks neater and more professional, protects from sun and road rash in the event of a fall. Two of the other trainers at my barn teach in shorts, tank tops and other inappropriate apparel and I have to say they look messy and unprofessional, my trainer is always suitably attired in the event she has to get on a horse during a lesson.

I have no problem schooling in a tank top. I get mine from Garage and they fit great and keep me cool.

I also ride in jeans and tall boots, so fashion clearly isn't priority.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Hunter View Post
    Tanks when on my farm and nice pools when lessoning or off the property.
    I would love a 'pool' to hop into after a hot ride, unfortunately we don't have that luxury so I will stick with a tank top

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesbug View Post
    Okay, so this is going to sound like a dumb question, but what do you consider appropriate for riding apparel during the summer? By this I mean, do you personally think it's acceptable to ride in a tank top or cami--only when schooling at the barn-- if it's really hot?

The reason I ask is that the barn where I ride during the school year doesn't allow riders to wear tank tops, but I've never had a problem with that at the place I ride in the summer. It's just much more comfortable in the 100-degree heat to wear as little as possible, y'know? Anyway, what do you think? Would you ride in a tank top? Why/why not?
    Actually most of the newer technical fabrics available will keep you cooler than bare skin; try a polo made for golf or tennis (frequently available at discount stores, so needn't cost a fortune.)

I personally think a cami or tank top is not appropriate schooling attire, unless perhaps you are riding in your own backyard. The barns I've boarded and trained at have not allowed them for both the previously mentioned safety issues (road rash etc) but also because "wearing as little as possible" was just not considered appropriate.

That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with a conservatively cut sleeveless polo. In fact, I think a nicely tailored sleeveless polo - with a collar - is a very nice look with a pair of breeches.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

My guys are at home so I have been known to ride even in a lesson at home in a tank top and shorts and half chaps. Trainers have never minded as long as I could ride just as well in them. It's very rare that I do though. I do however always ride in a tank top in summer. It's my house so I do what I want. Now when i use to board I never wore shorts to ride at the barn and I would wear tank tops all the time but they were not short or low or tight. At a show I never would wear one to school even. Always a polo.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Just to add I have rode in a bathing suit before. But, I was in Mexico and it was a beach ride and swimming with the horses so everyone that went in the water had one on. I will say it was not comfortable at all! Lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole