The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

In a lesson or at a barn with a more formal atmosphere, a well-fitted tshirt or polo is the only acceptable thing, whether in a technical fabric or not. When I'm schooling at my barn, which is a super low-key boarding barn, I am often the only one riding anyway, so if it's hot I wear a tank top! But no boobs or belly showing, I'm quite small on top and always ride in a sports bra, so no risk of anything popping out.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I'm guilty of wearing a tank top in the summer when the expected temps are 110 and I'm trying to sneak in a ride at 8 AM and it's still 90 degrees out. Gotta love summers up here. At least the humidity is low to nonexistent. I do prefer Kerrits sleeveless type shirts for the sake of professionalism, but if I know it'll be a quiet day at the barn I'm wearing a tank top with 1 inch or so straps. No spaghetti straps, though.

Long-sleeved technical fabric shirt (the REI Sahara shirt is nice, though I have to buy a Girls' XL and leave the bottom snap undone, because I am short and have hips.) Technical fabrics really help because as you sweat, the fabric picks it up and somehow cools it. Occasionally a Kerrits short sleeved zip polo. Too much skin cancer in my family for any more sun exposure than that. OTOH, I am Old.

My barn does allow tank tops/spaghetti strap tops but only the teens ever wear them.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

We don't have a formal rule about tank tops, but I've heard my trainer complain about them - and, hearing about, um, things popping out! So I usually stick to polos for lessons and tees for riding on my own. If it's really hot, a light fitted tee for lessons.

I don't often do tanks, but I do sleeveless athletic wear. I like Target for my athletic wear for schooling at home. http://www.target.com/sb/tops-active...tc=871158|null. They have sleeveless tops as well.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

May I do a bit of a spin-off here and ask about breeches? Up until a couple of years ago I only schooled in jeans and full chaps, but now wear my old show breeches and field boots...old breeches as in 10 or so years old with the standard high rise wait and feel like I look ridiculous unless Im in the saddle. My students are buying the modern low rise breeches but I am not a fan of the look, even when shirts are tucked in, especially in the saddle (out of the saddle they are a lot cuter). I always wear polos tucked in with a belt; what style breeches do you guys buy and like?

@eastendjumper I opt for midrise most of the time, not quite up to my belly button but also not in my crotch
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

One nice thing is, while schooling at shows, you're at a HORSE show which is full of horse people! We know what you're dealing with, everyone else is just as hot! If you're schooling in a polo and you're used to tank tops, and you're sweating a little, no one's going to judge, we're all sweating too!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Thanks, Kat! Another pet peeve with the high rises is trying tuck in shirts designed for mid or low rise pants! Will look into mid rises.

Based on the responses here, I'm at a very (VERY) liberal barn. In summer, it's tank tops on everybody (trainers included). No one ever wears breeches or tall boots or chaps of any sort. We don't tuck shirts in, or belt, or put our hair up.

Sometimes I wish I was at a more "professional" looking barn - then I remember how easily I overheat.

LOVE the midrise - I'm a short-torsoed gal and high rise breeches come almost to the bottom of my sports bra! but I like to tuck in my shirt most of the time when I ride (if only because I love showing off my belts ) so midrise is a nice compromise.

As far as tanks go, my BO is VERY old-school/conservative - he always makes comments when we wear spaghetti straps or really anything that shows part of the bra. Out of respect for him (slash to shut him up! ) I wear thick-strapped, higher cut tanks or sleeveless shirts when it's really hot (not often), as do most of the girls at my barn. When I'm schooling at shows though I try to stick to polos.

I'm another vote for the EIS shirts. They keep me way cooler than riding in a tank top would, especially since I burn so easily. We try to keep them in stock at the store, but they sell out so quickly.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

I'll start another thread if I need to, but tacking on to this one seemed like a good place to start...

We are officially in the heat of the summer, and it's hotter than fried hades out there. I've had good luck finding dri-fit style shirts that will dry quickly, but not so much in the sports bra department.

Has anyone found a sports bra that wont stay soaked?

I wear an Underarmour bra and I haven't noticed it wet. I do like my technical shirts which dry quick. As for the original question, I always wear a polo or sleeved shirt when I trailer out for lessons. I dress very neatly to show respect to my instructor. I will, however, where a tank at my barn.

I love riding in tank tops when it's hot out. I wear the clingy wife beater style from Target, like $8 each. I don't like riding in spaghetti straps because I don't like the little built in bra most of them have, but if someone else wants to wear one I'm not offended. I just don't like the extra band of elastic

I never tuck my shirt in to ride, but I don't show either. If I go to a demo or clinic I'll wear a polo and tuck it in, but when I'm riding at home I'm all about my tanks. I'm a 34A, so nothing really ever bounces around or tries to escape, and I'm in my early 20s so I feel like the way I dress to ride is appropriate for my age.

Someone mentioned breeches--I also only wear low rise breeches, but Tuff Rider's idea of low rise is an inch below my belly button, so they really aren't that low cut.

Lululemon. Yes, they're pricey, but 1. they're COOL and DRYING and 2. they last forevvverrrr. I almost only wear Lululemon sports bras these days. They have some cute crazy ones with all these twists and crosses for when I go to yoga or barre and the Tata Tamer for cardo like biking, running, horse back riding.

100% agreed on Lululemon. I haven't tried the bras but I wear their yoga tops (the ones with the built in bras) exclusively for riding. I'm a B-cup, so don't need a major sports bra. If I'm riding trails on my own in the hot I'll just wear the yoga top and my safety vest. If I'm lessoning with my trainer, I'll pull a sleeveless polo over it. My white one is perfect under my white uniform shirt when I'm riding for work. Until I got real breeches, lululemon tights did the job on the bottom half as well.

I think it depends on the barn and barn rules. I've boarded at fairly smaller private barns where pretty much anything goes - and a trainer friend of mine has a male client who insists on 1/2 chaps and shorts when the weather hits 75. Thank goodness he doesn't don a wife-beater too lol. Current trainer doesn't like tanks for lessons because of the road rash issue. Generally at this time of year I usually hit pay dirt at Kmart where they have short sleeved and sleeveless polos on sale for around $5.00 each - can't be that price for horse and human sweat.. and the shirts are fairly decent quality. I don't have a problem w/ a tank top as long as it's a tank meant to be outerwear; not a tank style you'd wear under a jacket/sweater at work/school or on a date /out clubbing.

I'm lucky because I'm at my own barn so I can wear whatever I'd like. I do wear tanks/camis in the summer, and I welcome students and clients to do the same. When I go to other people's barns, I do wear something with short sleeves (I buy the 'moisture wicking' shirts from Kohl's). If it's a fancy barn, I wear a Kerrit's shirt with short sleeves and a zip up collar on the hot days, or a short sleeved polo on the cooler days. Always tucked in with a belt.

I almost always ride in a polo shirt or sleeveless polo shirt. Occasionally I will ride in a fairly fitted (but not tight) T-shirt. I have very rarely ridden in a tank top if it is so hot that all I plan to do is hop on bareback to walk around. Shirts are always tucked in, and I always wear a belt.