The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which thinline pad do you like best

I'd like to buy one but unsure which to choose. I'd like to stay away from fleece or cotton ones because I'd like to not have to wash it. Which one do you prefer and why?

If you want to stay away from fleece or cotton, you're pretty much limited to the "original" Thinline... just the impact pad, either with finished or unfinished (so you can trim) edge. Comes in 1/4" thickness or Ultra (3/16", I think... thinner, in any case). The only drawback is they don't make one of these in a wither contour cut.

Among the others, the Trifecta (cotton backed, shimmable) is my fav. Easiest to clean. (I have a full sheepskin lined saddle fitter version - love the usefulness, hate grooming the thing, LOL.)
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Wash what? I love my thinline like this one -

http://shop.thinlineglobal.com/p/tri...ls?pp=12&pp=12

I have had it for a few years and don't wash it... but I do use a square cotton pad under it and wash that one.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

That one looks nice. I just like things to stay sharp and bright. Maybe I should go with the black and then I don't need to worry about it. I like the thin and crisp look of the original and the ultra thin. What are your opinions of those?

I have had the original one for about a year now and I adore it! It keeps my saddle secure and in place because of the sort of sticky texture on top and I do notice some shock absorption in my saddle and I think my horse does too. I use it at home with just a baby pad underneath and with a thin square pad at shows. I haven't noticed any difference in terms of heat or sweat, which is what I worried about with the sort of rubbery material.

My saddle fits perfectly and so this is not to correct fit, just to keep it nice and still and add a little shock absorption. If you are looking to correct the fit of your saddle I would go with one of the other, thicker pads.

I have it in black and it looks brand new, I really don't see how it would wear out in any way. The white one might get dirty but it would be super easy to clean off with just some dish soap or wipes or something.