The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Yep, Disney is commercial. But so what? You know that going in there, and the fun makes up for it. Don't go expecting "magic"--go expecting to take in the sights, the activities and to appreciate how hard the entire park system works to make its guests enjoy their time there.

I live over a thousand miles away but I'm an annual pass holder because I go several times a year with friends and family in the area (all adults). I love wandering around the parks and meeting people---I love striking up conversations with folks at the pubs on the park grounds or even the employees in the shops. Epcot is best for that.

The point is, if you are going as an adult without kids in tow think of it as a city, not a park. Make the best of it and get to know the people around you. When you do that, it's a blast for an adult. I've made good friendships and even hired people I've gotten to know while I was there.

Finally--if you don't mind heat, go in August--as mentioned, the crowds are low then. Otherwise go in May. The weather is better.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

1 members found this post helpful.

Go with a girlfriend. You will have a blast. I'm a firm believer in SEPARATE VACATIONS for married people. Yes, go somewhere mutually agreeable together, but you also get to take a week and go somewhere by yourself. I'm going to St Croix next month with my best friend from when we were 2. DH is staying home with the beasts and he is fine with it. He doesn't like beach vacations. We go to NH and VT together.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Go for it! You only live once, and you should have fun! The best time to go is when it isn't kiddy land, and really crowded. Years ago I went right before Memorial Day, and I barely had to wait for anything. I loved it, and if I could move into the castle apartment I'd live there forever (the Disney family supposedly has an apartment in the castle that's beautiful). If you stay at the hotels you get shuttle buses, restaurant reservations when you want, and other perks. SOme of the ticket, hotel and transportation deals are really good, and it's definitely a must do. You can get discount tickets through a lot of vendors, and save that way, and with a package you can really save over an off-park hotel, plus rental car. If you book early you can get airline and park deals and save that way too. I recommend you get the official guide book, because that way you can plan what you want to see, and they have hints about the best time to get there, and plan the route you take in each area, and a ride description so you know what you do and don't want to see. I loved the Disney ride park, but Epcot was fantastic. I think they still have cabins in the camping park for rent, and if you buy most of your food you can really save.

Remember the sunblock, a hat, and very comfortable walking shoes. Keep hydrated, and rest occasionally. The friend I went with (big mistake going with her, and I'm sure she felt the same way) and I would eat a late lunch in the park, and have a quick breakfast, so we saved that way too. We weren't hungry for dinner though. The guidebooks also have great descriptions of the restaurants and their menus, so that was really helpful too.

And as long as you're going to be there, then definitely go long enough to go see Universal, and the Animal Park. You'll find it difficult not to buy a bunch of goofy souvenirs too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I still love Disney World and I'm old. Last time I went, I took my Mom and we stayed one night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in one of the rooms overlooking the savanna. It is incredibly cool to sit on your balcony and see antelope and zebras right there.

Staying on the property is expensive, but worth it to splurge, even if for just one or two nights. We have also stayed numerous times at the resorts at Lake Buena Vista, which aren't official Disney hotels, but are Disney-affiliated, so you get a lot of extras that you don't get at other Orlando hotels, but they're less expensive than the Disney resorts. They're within easy walking distance of Downtown Disney.

If your hubby won't go, find a girlfriend to go with you.

Don't. Do you realize how expensive it is? What you'll spend on two days at the park could pay for an amazing backpacking trip somewhere else in the world.

Having said that, I did really enjoy going to Animal Kingdom, BUT I would never go on my own dime/make it a destination. (I was in Orlando for something else.)

Disney World? Umm, not so much. Disney Land? Smaller and cheaper and just as much fun. Almost more, LA isn't so hot so they still had (have?) the horse drawn trolley. Loved that. Surrounded by independent motels and restaurants, less than a quarter mile to walk to the front gate, I loved it. World was overwhelming, we had more fun going down the slide in the hotel pool because the line was shorter.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I really want to go to Harry Potter World!!!
    I went last year when I was down there for work.

It is SOOOO awesome! I was totally geeked out the whole time.
    I went on the ride inside the castle 8 times in a row.

You'd think I was a teenager but I'm in my late 30's.
    Pathetic I know, but I'd go again in a heartbeat.

ETA: I went in the middle of January. The weather was perfect and I didn't wait in line for anything. I could not have been a better time to visit!
    Last edited by PaintPony; Feb. 19, 2013 at 09:54 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I too want to go to Harry Potter world. I love Universal Studios and their theme parks. It's a shame I never got to experience the Jaws ride. They were putting the final touches on it the last time I was there in the 90's and removed it not too long ago. Thankfully, I did get to experience the King Kong 78 attraction at least once.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If you hafta wait go in late Nov/early Dec. Weather cooler but not bad no crowds but decorated to the hilt for Xmas, we went at Xmas this year because of a event & I will pull out my eyeballs with plyers before I will do that ever again. PEOPLE with LITTLE KIDS everywhere, stoping, crying, shrieking, needing naps, not fun, but if you can go anytime you have lots of choices.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

October and February are the best times, according to people around here with season tickets. We've lived here 7 years and have been twice. We drove there and back the first time and stayed at the resort the second. If you can pull it off, the resorts are lots of fun.

BIG TIP: Get your plan together before you call them or get online to order. Check out prices and have your card ready. I swear, every time you call, the rates go up. I had one rate in the resort we really liked but had to confirm something with another family member, so I hung up and called back. The rate was $50 more. My dad called, hung up, to talk to me and then called them back and his rate went up $70. Has anyone else had this happen? Oh, and if you can get a discount (check EVERYTHING: insurance company, military, age related, job related, etc...) have it ready the first time you call.

Best wishes!

One of my friends once went the second week in September. No lines, no kids.

We went to Animal Kingdom the first or second week in December, which is a great time to go see everything decorated for Christmas. They are really busy Thanksgiving and Christmas, but have a brief lull between the two holidays. Of course, "lull" is a relative thing when you're talking about Disney World. We never had to stand in line too long for anything, but then, since I was with my Mom, we passed on the two big rides, which I'm sure had longer lines.

The last time I was at Disney World, they had just opened Animal Kingdom. Literally, it opened right before I went so my tickets didn't cover admission to it. I think it's probably the only thing there that would be interesting to me now since I haven't seen it.

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there.
    I <3 Disney.
    If husband won't have fun and be silly, go with someone who will.

Lex, we must have been to Disney about the same time - They just opened Animal Kingdom (a week?) and some part of the park was still closed to visitors, but I did go to Circle of Life.... Talk about incredible experience.... I think it alone was well worth the whole park... Amazing carvings all around the tree. I was tracing every one of them, that flowed seamlessly to the next, and then next, and next... And then, the 3D show in the tree... No wonder they had sign that said people with history of heart attack should not see it, or something like that... Disney might be commercial, but they sure have incredible creativity...

I always wanted to be an Imagineer after learning about the ins and outs of the attractions and the parks. My fave ride was 20000 Leagues Under The Sea and even though it was simple, it just felt real. The last time I was there, the ride had been closed and the lagoon was still filled but unused. I was soooo sad. They really need to bring back that ride in some fashion.

I'd veto Disney; the real world is much, much more interesting than the fake. That said, if you HAVE to go, why not Hong Kong Disney? At least you get to go somewhere interesting instead of just a plastic place.

I've been to HK Disney twice; I think these are links about two different trips...it's been years since we've been, so don't take my word for it that it's still a ghost town. Might be more crowded 5 years on.

http://blithetraveler.typepad.com/th...t-paper-i.html

http://blithetraveler.typepad.com/th...hong-kong.html

RR, I agree that the real world is much more interesting... but I just want to see what the fake world is like too! (;

So approximately how much does one spend on a basic Disney vacation, if it's just two adults (not counting airfare), staying in one of the Disney resorts (clearly a must)? I think if I can swing it for a lot less than Europe, I can maybe talk the husband into it, though if we can make it to Italy for the same price I might as well give up. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

There are Disney Forums out there...best place to go looking for good prices and discount codes. I always managed to find a relatively good price at the Yacht Club or the Boardwalk...both are nice because you can walk right into Epcot. Packages are usually the best deal, but I found I got a better deal booking directly through Disney than through a travel agency.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I too want to go to Harry Potter world. I love Universal Studios and their theme parks. It's a shame I never got to experience the Jaws ride. They were putting the final touches on it the last time I was there in the 90's and removed it not too long ago. Thankfully, I did get to experience the King Kong 78 attraction at least once.
    I love Disney World.
    I love Epcot.
    I love Universal.

The last time I was there was for a band trip in highschool in the 90s.

I can't believe Jaws is gone! I did get to see that attraction up close and personal. The damn shark popped up RIGHT next to me with his great big open mouth. I was sitting on the seaside side of the boat so if he were real I would have been a gonner. Big tough me went from one side of the boat to the other in less than a second.

Do they still have Back to the Future?? I LOVED Back to the Future.

I've been wanting to take a trip back down there but it just never happens.

At Disney I LOOOOOVE the run away train.
    At Epcot I LOOOOOVE Figment.
    http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.co...23234LARGE.jpg

But if anyone were to force me to experience It's a Small World ever ever again...all hell will break loose. Those puppets must die.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

GO! Everyone should see it once, and if it's your dream vacation, you absolutely deserve to do it. However, I would make a deal that you and your husband take separate vacations this year, and find a friend to go with who will be equally excited - if he's a Disney-hater, you will have way less fun.

2 members found this post helpful.