The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default can i hide from a supbonea?

I was thrown from a car by a drunk man now the man is going to court and the police are trying to serve me. I just want norhing to do with the mess.

Up to a point, but ultimately I don't think so. Lawyers chime in?

I assume they're wanting you as a witness. If you're that important to their case, they can get a warrant for your arrest as a material witness.

I can understand why you might want nothing to do with this but please remember that all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men (and women) to do nothing. If this drunk was driving and threw you out of the car, he deserves some jail time. I understand it might be a bit embarassing to have to answer questions about why you were in the car, and why you were letting him drive if you knew he was drunk, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Accept the subpoena, meet with the cops. If your testimony is so strong, more than likely the drunk will be plead out and you won't have to take the stand.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

16 members found this post helpful.

So if a drunk driver hit and injured you, would you want all the witnesses to refuse to go to court? I presume you mean that you were in the car with the drunk driver? Being "thrown from a car by a drunk driver" makes me wonder if you were in his car or not?

If you try to avoid a subpoena from the court, the prosecutor can get a material witness warrant signed by the judge. Then you get arrested and you sit in jail (or in court if the trial has already started) until you testify. Then the prosecutor and judge can have a little contempt of court hearing for you, and you can be fined by the judge.....or go to jail for a few days.

In over 28 yrs as a prosecutor, I only had to have a few witnesses picked up by the sheriff. The problem with our judicial system is that people don't want to get involved, and don't want to do anything unless they are the victims of crimes.

23 members found this post helpful.

I think some of the legal advice you've gotten on this thread have been spot on. However, I would also like to suggest that you find a good counselor and talk to them about what happened to you if you have not already.

1 members found this post helpful.

Um...no. Like cloudy said, if they REALLY want you and you duck the subpoena they'll put a warrant out on you. Now you've got a record which can and will come back to bite you.

Someday this will catch up to you, so go to court, and get it over with. So many cases are plea bargained, or settled before trial you might not even have to testify.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

4 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like the drunk is a friend?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Got to court and answer no questions on the grounds of self incrimination. Or just keep saying "I have no recollection".

Works for politicians.........

You may be able to make a written deposition.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlynn View Post
    I was thrown from a car by a drunk man now the man is going to court and the police are trying to serve me. I just want norhing to do with the mess.
    If you are ordered by the Court to show up and don't, a bench warrant will issue and you will be arrested. I am an attorney and get bench warrants all of the time for people who think they have something better to do.

10 members found this post helpful.

Why would you want to hide from a subpoena?? Do you know how frustrating it is to watch a guilty person walk all because the witness was a spineless idiot? I've lost animal cruelty cases because a witness suddenly flaked and couldn't be found.

How would you feel is this person ended up hurting someone else down the road? Is it really that hard to do the right thing? If you tell the truth and your "friend" is mad at you then they weren't really a friend to begin with.

My husband was hit by a drunk driver and the key witness flaked. The charges ended up being reduced and it had a serious impact on our dealings with the insurance company. We later got in touch with the witness and she was so hoo hum about it, if I could've have strangled her through the phone I would have. I can only hope karma is visiting her. It's been 20 years and my husband still deals with the injuries on a regular basis.

WTA-I see written dispositions thrown out all the time, if my witness is all I have and she/he refuses to come to court and testify then I don't bother.

7 members found this post helpful.

No. Don't be stupid. There's a reason you were subpoenaed. To tell the TRUTH! Go. Tell the truth. And then leave. That's all you have to do.
    No sense hiding from the law. They will find you and your troubles will be ten fold.

8 members found this post helpful.

Nope.

Gingerlynn, I hate court and I have been there several times in my line of work. If you take a day out of my life to appear in court, I will tell the judge and anyone else what I think clearly and directly of any question asked of me. I have no filter in court, ask me to be there at your own risk.

It is a good place to get crap off your chest so to speak....Just saying that it might be helpfull for you.

You got thrown out of a car by someone driving drunk and have no interest in getting justice? Why?!

Giving a deposition or even testifying isn't that big a deal. Just git-r-done.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OP, I don't know why you don't want to talk or testify. That's your business and NO ONE ELSE'S, regardless of what you may be told here or elsewhere.

You can be compelled to appear in court. You cannot be compelled to speak if doing so will lead to self incrimination.

You can also fail to recollect from memory.

Consult with an attorney if you wish to use either tactic.

Do the right thing, go be a witness.

Maybe they were fighting over a cab?

She didn't say drunk driver, just drunk man.

Either way, you gotta go, OP. Get it over with.

If you are concerned about repercussions tell the police about your concerns. Check and see if the police or courts have some sort of victim/witness services. Many do They can help you out with counselling, going to court with you, etc.

Ask for help if you need it.

If you just don't want to be bothered...what cloudyandcallie said.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.