The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Astrix -- Anyone know what happened to him?

Astrix is a KWPN stallion, (Obelisk x Olivi) who I know Judy Yancey was carrying less than a year ago. He has now gone POOF! He's quite a beautiful and impressive stallion! I'd hoped to try him at some point! I was wondering if anyone knows why frozen semen brokers are no longer carrying him?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

His owners wouldn't sell his semen by the dose, only for 3 doses for $1500 or $2000 or something close to that. I do believe that they would give a LFG. Logisitically, it does't work well for semen brokers. We visited with him and his owners, he's a lovely stallion and they are nice people, but, I believe this is the first stallion they've owned and don't quite understand how frozen semen is usually sold. He may have more foals on the ground this year, but it's hard to market a stallion who may not be competing and doesn't have foals out there to judge. This is just my take, could be wrong of course

His owners wouldn't sell his semen by the dose, only for 3 doses for $1500 or $2000 or something close to that. I do believe that they would give a LFG. Logisitically, it does't work well for semen brokers.
    Can't be the only reason. All the Nijhoff stallions are under a similar type of contract and it doesn't seem to slow them down too much.
    VĂ©ronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Top Kat View Post
    His owners wouldn't sell his semen by the dose, only for 3 doses for $1500 or $2000 or something close to that. I do believe that they would give a LFG. Logisitically, it does't work well for semen brokers. We visited with him and his owners, he's a lovely stallion and they are nice people, but, I believe this is the first stallion they've owned and don't quite understand how frozen semen is usually sold. He may have more foals on the ground this year, but it's hard to market a stallion who may not be competing and doesn't have foals out there to judge. This is just my take, could be wrong of course
    Interesting. I wonder why the brokers don't just buy three doses at that price, and then divvy them up? It sounds like the stallion owners are trying to do the right thing. They want to give a LFG, but the logistics of doing so are just so difficult. I really like the temperament they're saying the stallion has. I'm looking forward to seeing his first foals!

There is more to the story, imho. We were going to use him last year, and they were offering a sort of pregnancy guarantee to the first 10 mares booked to him. We had two in line, and were contacted about switching to a different stud. It's not my place to go into the details as I only had bits and pieces and we were happy with the alternative so didn't argue about it.

But, no, it wasn't a "LFG" for $1500 of 3 doses thing. There are several stallions available frozen with similar terms (Hilltop offers this, Majestic Gaits with several including Indoctro), and as a mare owner people appreciate the LFG and brokers still sell the semen. There was more behind the scenes, and hopefully those kinks will get worked out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    There was more behind the scenes, and hopefully those kinks will get worked out at some point.
    I sure hope so. Sometimes it seems like all the stallions I want to use aren't available frozen for whatever reason. He's by Obelisk, who is a stallion I'd always been interested in, but isn't available frozen. For those who saw Astrix in person, are the good temperament/friendly disposition comments fairly accurate?

Love this (from his page on Stal Perlee):
    Again, this serene stallion showed off his fantastic competition mentality. The windy and troubled weather did not upset him at all and he impressed with his incredible devotion, obedience and alertness. Even under pressure, Astrix's performance is steady. Astrix received a 9.6 for his trot, one of the highest grades ever! Last year the jury referred to Astrix as 'a horse to dream of' which they confirmed this year again

I suggest you contact Judy Yancey, she knows the whole story or rather than speculate, you could contact his owners, they are very nice people. Here is their email address:

info@perleestables.nl

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    I sure hope so. Sometimes it seems like all the stallions I want to use aren't available frozen for whatever reason. He's by Obelisk, who is a stallion I'd always been interested in, but isn't available frozen. For those who saw Astrix in person, are the good temperament/friendly disposition comments fairly accurate?

Love this (from his page on Stal Perlee):
    I don't know Astrix but I do own a 9 year old gelding (Obelisk X Michelangelo) and he is just like the description of Astrix, serene, very very devoted, alert, obedient and talented in dressage. I just LOVE him. His temperament is super! I know other owners of Obelisk horses and they are very positive about their horses too.
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.