The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me find a bridle!

I event primarily and have lovely brown bridles of various brands that I adore. I have yet to find a black bridle that makes me as happy. Most recently I purchased one of the higher end Vespucci's, but it has stretched a ton and barely fits my two TB's heads anymore!

My wants:
    Plain or square raised non-crank noseband with flash (extra bonus points if it is detachable)
    Hook and stud cheek pieces
    NOT a monocrown
    Bonus points for clincher type browband, but not a deal breaker
    Doesn't have to come with reins, but bonus points for plain with hand stops (I hate virtually every other type of rein)

Size wise I'd love to be able to mix and match some full and cob parts as both my guys have smallish heads, but a true to size or on the small size full should work.

Would like to spend in the $300 range, but if all the bonus features are there would be willing to spend more.

Suggestions? Places to look? What is your favorite bridle? Thanks for any leads!

Default Love my bridle from Jerry's Harness

http://www.jerrysharnessshop.com/

I bought the Showtime bridle which is semi custom and was still cheaper than some of the "standard" bridles on the market. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Jerry's has custom bridle sizings so you really can't go wrong and the quality is great.

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by greyiscute View Post
    I event primarily and have lovely brown bridles of various brands that I adore. I have yet to find a black bridle that makes me as happy. Most recently I purchased one of the higher end Vespucci's, but it has stretched a ton and barely fits my two TB's heads anymore!

My wants:
    Plain or square raised non-crank noseband with flash (extra bonus points if it is detachable)
    Hook and stud cheek pieces
    NOT a monocrown
    Bonus points for clincher type browband, but not a deal breaker
    Doesn't have to come with reins, but bonus points for plain with hand stops (I hate virtually every other type of rein)

Size wise I'd love to be able to mix and match some full and cob parts as both my guys have smallish heads, but a true to size or on the small size full should work.

Would like to spend in the $300 range, but if all the bonus features are there would be willing to spend more.

Suggestions? Places to look? What is your favorite bridle? Thanks for any leads!
    As a recent convert from the hunters - where beautiful bridles are an art form - I can definitely sympathize with your search. I have a couple of Vespuccis that are OK, but nothing to write home about. However, I recently got a Schockemohle Paris bridle that I really do like - the leather is much nicer than the other black bridles I've seen, and the fit & finish is also lovely.

It does have the crown design where the caveson strap goes *over* the crown - so not a mono crown, but not the traditional design where the caveson strap is underneath. I wasn't sure about it at first but now I really like it, as my super sensitive horse seems to find it more comfortable. It was under $300 although I didn't care for the reins it came with (which I replaced with the Thinline reins that I prefer.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spree outside copy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	37634
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I've had good success buying bridles through Divoza. I tend to like Kieffer, as they're well built and look good on my larger horses' heads For my daintier horses, I like Stubben. Haven't had great luck with the Schumacher bridles though. Divoza's prices seem more reasonable than American outlets, and I've been able to get unique things that aren't available Stateside yet.
    Last edited by DancingFoalFarms; Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Jerry's bridles look great-especially since I could get it exactly the right size! How is the leather...my only fear is that I order it and because I am a leather snob , I won't be happy and I can't return it since it is custom...

Lucassb-with the Schockemohle crownpiece could you change out nosebands? I occasionally put my upper level guy in a figure 8 for dressage and would like that option...

Dancingfoalfarms-thanks for the reminder to look at the overseas options! I am hoping for something slightly on the dainty side-are all the kieffer's pretty beefy? In the past I have not been terribly impressed with the stubben leather...but I haven't looked at one of their bridles in 10+ years so maybe it's changed (although an old stubben is currently my fall back black bridle as I search for the 'right' one)

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Lucassb-with the Schockemohle crownpiece could you change out nosebands? I occasionally put my upper level guy in a figure 8 for dressage and would like that option...
    Yes, I think you could easily change out the noseband. The only difference from a traditional bridle is that the strap runs over the top of the crown instead of below it. There is a little slot on both sides of the crownpiece, (right near where the browband attaches) to allow the caveson strap to be threaded over the top of the crown behind the horse's ears.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The Jerry's bridles look great-especially since I could get it exactly the right size! How is the leather...my only fear is that I order it and because I am a leather snob , I won't be happy and I can't return it since it is custom...
    Two thumbs way up for Jerry's Harness.
    I bought one used bridle off of ebay (should have bought the full sized one too, but only bought the cob) for my GRP mare. I cannot say how much I love this bridle.
    Though it's used, the leather is to die for and the bridle is beautiful.

Because of how nice that bridle is (and the one that was gifted to my sister), I ordered another one for my other GRP (who's head is between cob and pony size, so the bridle had to be fully custom). I cannot wait to get it in... two more weeks.

I will say that their website can be kind of funky to use, but an email to the owner, and everything gets handled quickly and all questions get answered.

Can't say enough nice things about them, really.

This one seems to be a rather close match http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Brid...item51a12bafa7
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Dancingfoalfarms-thanks for the reminder to look at the overseas options! I am hoping for something slightly on the dainty side-are all the kieffer's pretty beefy? In the past I have not been terribly impressed with the stubben leather...but I haven't looked at one of their bridles in 10+ years so maybe it's changed (although an old stubben is currently my fall back black bridle as I search for the 'right' one)
    The Kieffers come in various levels of daintiness / beefiness. I bought the Kieffer Esperanza for my biggest horse, but it also comes in cob and Thoroughbred sizes (with different widths, etc). If you like brown tack, you don't really need to give it up for dressage. The Esperanza is very dark brown with lighter brown stitching, and brass fittings. Looks great on blood bays!

I bought Stubbens for my fine-headed KWPN guy, and for my large pony mare -- a few years ago for Fizz, and two years ago for Lucy. Loved the quality and wish their bridles worked for my bigger guys.

I just noticed that the Kieffer Anja is very similar to what you're looking for -- including the detachable flash!
    Last edited by DancingFoalFarms; Feb. 20, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: addition

I too have a Jerry's and love it. If you want to see a Jerry's bridle first I would call him and see if you can have him send you one already made just to feel/ see it.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

There's a Weymouth brown courbette on eBay for $120 new. I have a courbette that's over 30 years old.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Brand new arc de triomphe napoleon bridle, black, on sale on ebay right now for $315, which is 1/2 the retail price. Sale ends in a few hours. We nave no interest in it other than to say if we didn't have so many bridles already, it would be ours. It's a full size, black and new. Wish we could get it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was all set on measuring and ordering a Jerry's bridle this weekend when I saw Wildandwicked's ebay link...by the time I noticed it there were only 45 min left, but I got it! I figure if I don't like it I can resell it, and maybe even make some $ .

Thanks for all your help! I think I see a Jerry's bridle in my future-maybe for the next horse