The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Looking For A Stallion For Mare's Last Breeding

My wonderful, fabulous, super cool mare Chelsea Small Talk is 21yo this year. She has honestly been the best producing mare I've ever heard of. Her offspring including a Green Working Hunter/Lg Jr Hunter that is now doing the Big Eq stuff, several winners on the line a Upperville, a top finisher at the IHF, and two babies that I know of that are AA quality, but their owners only do the local shows here in Virginia (and win almost every class they go in), just to name a few. Her best foal was sire by West Winds Ricky Martin (SWB) and the stallion died the year that colt was born, so we couldn't breed back. She's also had several very nice foals by the Oldenburg stallion Silvio. Since this is her last foal, it will be a keeper, so I don't care about how "popular" the stallion is.

If I could change anything about her, I would put some length to her neck and shorten her back a touch. She stands 16.0ish, but tends to have offspring that mature to the stallion's height. She is a lovely mover and throws a great jump, but I don't want to breed the jump out of her. I would like to breed her to a stallion that has hack-winning movement and is able to do the 3'6" stuff. I don't need to produce a Working Hunter, but I would like something that has the step and jump for the A/O's. AND I want pretty! She has a nice head, but it isn't "fancy", so a pretty head is a MUST since I will be looking at this baby every day for hopefully the rest of its life!

Stallion owners, please feel free to PM me about your boys. I am being very picky, but this mare produces the best and this foal will be shown if it turns out as nice as her other babies.

Congratulations on having and appreciating your wonderful mare AND knowing when to stop breeding her! Posting her photo and a link to her pedigree might help and would certainly be interesting! Also, her foals and who have you used in the past. I can see why this foal is special to you. I adored my foundation mare and also stopped breeding her about 12 years before I lost her -- I just knew it was time. I have her last baby -- a mare and that a mare out of her as well.
    PennyG

Honestly, I never bothered with papers on her. I'm only her third owner. Mike Rowe purchased her as a yearling for his wife Ava and she produced several nice babies for Rowe Sport Horses. I purchased her when Mike and Ava got a divorce (that was the only way I could ever afford a mare like Chelsea). I guess I'm no longer a premium member, so I can't post picks. What I'm looking for in a stallion is a strong top-line with a long neck, short back, that is strong in the croup. Chelsea is a beautiful mover, but I want to keep the movement, so I want to breed her to a stallion that is at the top of the hack classes. She throws a huge, round jump, so I also don't want to breed the jump out of her. I would also like a stallion that gives a nice head to his babies. She has an ok head (not ugly), but it could use some refinement. Her babies for me are;

Ricky - by SWB stallion West Winds Ricky Martin - This colt was perfect, nothing I would have changed. Would have been famous had his owner wanted to do more than local shows. The ideal Hunter. Finished about 16.3H. Hack winner. "10" jumper. Good bone. Long neck.

Dede - TB stallion Private Key - Filly is AA quality, but owner only does local shows with her. Matured about 15.3H. TB look that is the hack winner and has a beautiful jump. Beautiful top-line with a long neck. Personally, I prefer more bone, but has a classic Hunter look that the judges love.

Preacher - by Oldenburg stallion Silvio - matured 17.0h and is a lovely mover with a "10" jump. Just starting show career. Won on the line. Neck was better than Chelsea's, but *I* would have liked a little more length - personal preference.

Bunny - by Oldenburg stallion Silvio - I would have added a little length to her neck BUT she won on the line at Upperville, so nothing to sneeze at. Would have liked more freedom through her shoulder on some days, but I think it was just a growth spurt because there were days she literally floated across the ground.

Soxy - by Oldenburg stallion Silvio - This colt was not the "breath-taking" beautiful foal that his full siblings where. I didn't care for him much until a yearling and now he is lovely and I'm prepping him to show on the line as a yearling this year. Beautiful neck and top-line. Didn't have a great head as a foal, but it is getting better every day. I actually really like this colt and think he is going to be pretty fabulous like his siblings.

Before I purchased Chelsea, she produded Appsolut, a well-known Lg Jr Hunter here on the East Coast with a pages long USEF record. She is also the dam of a horse a COTHer owns that Mike Rowe bred; the name escapes me. One of her last foals for Mike ended up being a top finisher at the IHF.

No matter what she is bred to, she out-produces herself. I just want this last cross to be perfect, which I *know* doesn't happen with breeding horses. It will be a keeper (and hopefully a filly). Right now one of my top picks is Balt Amore. I'm also looking at Fielding. Red Wine would be my TOP pick with his build - so similar to Ricky Martin, but I don't want to get involved in that mess.

What about Shine (Alesi)? And on the Redwine note, I think things will only get better with that situation so if he really is #1 on your list it may be worth investigating it further.

Cunningham
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

IMHO Shine has some of the best blood for producing a top hunter in all of WB breeding.

I know your mare from the days Mike had her.

Although unproven as of yet, I think u should look at the possibility of De Feiner Star as well...he has the length of neck, compact body, strength in loin, and pretty head. The De Laurentis side, while not so traditional for hunters, is proving successful. Without knowing her, I am sure his dam was a lovely mare. I think he has a way better mareline than Redwine, even tho Redwine has the A line in the sire mareline. My own B G A line / Feinerstern crosses are among some of the best horses in character, gaits, and hunter jump, that I could have ever dreamed of.

He is standing at Hilltop farm.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

De Feiner Star or Sir Gregory, both will throw pretty and great temperament.....

Have you looked at the USEF stats for top hunter sires? And yes, I know they have to be taken with a grain of salt, but they will give some indication of who the top producing hunter sires are.

Here are final rankings for 2012 -
    http://www.usef.org/documents/points...res/Hunter.pdf

And here are the current rankings for 2013 -
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...viewCat=Hunter

If I could change anything about her, I would put some length to her neck and shorten her back a touch. She stands 16.0ish, but tends to have offspring that mature to the stallion's height. She is a lovely mover and throws a great jump, but I don't want to breed the jump out of her. I would like to breed her to a stallion that has hack-winning movement and is able to do the 3'6" stuff. I don't need to produce a Working Hunter, but I would like something that has the step and jump for the A/O's. AND I want pretty! She has a nice head, but it isn't "fancy", so a pretty head is a MUST since I will be looking at this baby every day for hopefully the rest of its life! [/QUOTE]

Gatsby - I have a Tb mare that sounds very similar to yours - 16 h, shortish neck, longish back. Bred her to 2 stallions - first one I found out later became known for not throwing size; the other, Gatsby. The Gatsby filly (1 yr 8 months old now) is lovely - he added height to the mare, a lovely, long neck, and a shorter back (nice length). Very pretty, elegant head and elegant markings.
    The filly has a lovely free shoulder; a nice free, overreaching walk; suspension at the trot, but ground sweeping, huntery stride when she wants; a beautiful, ground-covering canter.
    Very smart and a "thinker", accoding to the owner of the property where she is. She has a good, quiet, wants-to-cooperate mind - her dam has thrown more difficult from the other stallion.
    Don't know about her jump yet (she is too young, and I won't even free jump her - her bloodlines, top and bottom, are extremely strongly jump-oriented). One morning, when she was just a couple of months old, she was found on the other side of a 4' fence - no scrapes on her or on the fence.
    Number of us who have bred to him think he is much too underused. Lot of nice qualities he adds. Not sure where he is now - he had gone to Canada, but matters, I understand, have changed.
    Just think he is worth investigating for you.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    Honestly, I never bothered with papers on her. I'm only her third owner. Mike Rowe purchased her as a yearling for his wife Ava and she produced several nice babies for Rowe Sport Horses. I purchased her when Mike and Ava got a divorce (that was the only way I could ever afford a mare like Chelsea).
    Mike had some nice stock! I loved Teddy. Do you have a picture of her?

I rode for him for a while. Trailered in and then kept my gelding Ben there.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Navarone puts on beautiful heads, nice long necks, shorter back, strong hind leg, amazing jump like his sire Jus de Pomme and nice movers. He has offspring doing international jumping and eventing, but also some fantastic hunters too. Their character is amazing for the amateurs, like himself.

Here's a link to one I bred that did well in the hunters and now he is starting to do the 6 year olds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QLdGfAicI
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

1 members found this post helpful.

Loved the baby I got from Coromino -- fabulous neck and lovely head/eye -- super sweet and easy to train. Three scopey, lovely gaits, especially the canter. He's winning in dressage, but certainly could also jump well -- has the bloodlines for it. He's 17H, very modern type and also underused. A client of mine also bred to him and adores the result -- who was also a breeze to strart.
    You never commented on your mare's pedigree - do you know what it is?
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by cmssera2117 View Post
    If I could change anything about her, I would put some length to her neck and shorten her back a touch. She stands 16.0ish, but tends to have offspring that mature to the stallion's height. She is a lovely mover and throws a great jump, but I don't want to breed the jump out of her. I would like to breed her to a stallion that has hack-winning movement and is able to do the 3'6" stuff. I don't need to produce a Working Hunter, but I would like something that has the step and jump for the A/O's. AND I want pretty! She has a nice head, but it isn't "fancy", so a pretty head is a MUST since I will be looking at this baby every day for hopefully the rest of its life!
    Gatsby - I have a Tb mare that sounds very similar to yours - 16 h, shortish neck, longish back. Bred her to 2 stallions - first one I found out later became known for not throwing size; the other, Gatsby. The Gatsby filly (1 yr 8 months old now) is lovely - he added height to the mare, a lovely, long neck, and a shorter back (nice length). Very pretty, elegant head and elegant markings.
    The filly has a lovely free shoulder; a nice free, overreaching walk; suspension at the trot, but ground sweeping, huntery stride when she wants; a beautiful, ground-covering canter.
    Very smart and a "thinker", accoding to the owner of the property where she is. She has a good, quiet, wants-to-cooperate mind - her dam has thrown more difficult from the other stallion.
    Don't know about her jump yet (she is too young, and I won't even free jump her - her bloodlines, top and bottom, are extremely strongly jump-oriented). One morning, when she was just a couple of months old, she was found on the other side of a 4' fence - no scrapes on her or on the fence.
    Number of us who have bred to him think he is much too underused. Lot of nice qualities he adds. Not sure where he is now - he had gone to Canada, but matters, I understand, have changed.
    Just think he is worth investigating for you.
    Good luck![/QUOTE]

Gatsby is awesome!! These remarks are very, very typical! He stamps his babies with his great qualities like nobody's business, and that includes his over-the-top amazing mind and personality!

I'll second or third Gatsby as well!

Default Ironman

You may want to take a look at Ironman. He throws size, shortens backs, very pretty heads, an athletic stylish jump and exceptional movement. Attached are a few youngsters to show the standard movement he throws. He is very well known for his gentle disposition and very ami-friendly offspring. He was 2007 USEF Leading sire for Hunter breeding.
    He has 70-90% motility, ships great and is used alot for older and difficult mares because of those things-
    Nancy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illiana.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	37764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illesandro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	37765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pjd2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	37766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rule show1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	37767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rule1225.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	37768  

Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com