The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rescued Siamese Kitty

I recently took in a Siamese cat that one of the rescues I help was trying to get placed. She is an adult, probably 2-3 years old and extremely friendly, affectionate and comfortable in a home with other cats. I've dewormed her for everything and given her some of the vitamins that come in a tube as she was very emaciated. I fed her some brown rice and ground turkey along with good quality cat food (no corn or by products, etc.). She is clearly thriving, feels much better and functioning well. However, she still has very loose, somewhat runny stools. I've given her anti-diarrhea meds for cats (in a tube also) and it helps, but then she goes back to the loose stuff. Her coat is improved, she is not sick, eats well, etc. I'm trying to not go to the vet if possible so looking for any input. I bought some plain Greek yogurt today for her and should probably get some acidopholus -- not sure how much to give her from a human dose -- could certainly get some for cats. Any other ideas? She's a sweetheart and I'm so glad she is here and gaining weight, feeling better. She's a typical Siamese -- the other cats are non-existant and she is smart and loves attention. Can't imagine how she got in such shape since she was obviously a pet at some point -- but had been in a neighborhood begging for awhile and no one knows anything about her. Thanks for any ideas.
    PennyG

My rescue kitty had that problem, also. Nothing, but nothing, that we (the vet and I) tried worked. I finally gave up and decided I would just have to live with it. Then, after I had her about a year, I got her teeth cleaned. A day or two after they were cleaned, her stool firmed up and has been fine ever since. The vet now thinks she must have had some kind of low grade infection around her teeth that just didn't show up on any of the tests I had done.

I'm sorry that information is not, however, going to keep you away from the vet.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

You might talk to the vet about tummy issues. My roommate rescued two Siamese cats and both have sensitve tummies and are on Iams low residue cat food and seem to be doing very good on that.

But, it could also just be getting food back into her system again and she needs some time...

But, if it continues, I would go to the vet... COuld be a tummy issues that needs a diferent diet. God luck! They are great cats! (and I'm not a cat person!)

Hate to say it but ongoing diarrhea warrants a vet visit. There a lot of simple things that can be tried but most will require a prescription. Even though you've dewormed her she may still have parasites and a fecal will help rule that out. A antibiotic trial (Flagyl) often clears up a lot of diarrhea without having to do other tests.

Some cats with chronic weight loss/ gastrointestinal disease will end up with vitamin B12 deficiencies that contribute to why diarrhea doesn't resolve. The test is expensive but the injections are cheap and safe so can be given without testing. You'd need a vet to prescribe it and show you how to give under the skin if you've never done it before.

Siamese cats are also predisposed to pancreatitis which can cause diarrhea. Treatment for that is supportive.

There are about 101 different things this could be and you need someone to look at her and help guide what to try first.

In The Gate -- she doesn't have diarrhea, although she did when she first came and started getting fed. Now when she goes it's just very loose and runny. I have done some research online and have ordered a product recommended for this -- it is a probiotic type product that should improve the flora in her stomach. If it doesn't get it done, I'll take her to the vet of course. She's not dehydrated at all - in fact she's picked up a good bit of weight. I'm going to keep giving her some rice also. She feels good and looks so much better. I adore cats and have rescued more than I could count and battled through alot of issues. Since she isn't struggling, I just wanted to try and resolve this at home -- Thanks!
    PennyG

Since this cat is a rescue with an unknown history, I would recommend having a fecal done. Maybe the rescue could help you do this without a vet visit, but it would be worth it to check for coccidia or giardia. Adding plain pumpkin to the diet can help with loose and runny poop, if there is no parasite involved. I add it to wet food.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

The very BEST thing for this cat is a vet visit. Will not only allow the vet to help resolve your problem quickly & SAFELY, but will also allow the vet to get to know the cat in a baseline manner should anything else arise.

In my opinion, putting off an initial vet visit - even if there's nothing wrong with the cat - & using home & over-the-counter "remedies" when you don't even know what's wrong is simply, well, wrong, & is doing the animal a disservice.

I had a new kitty that had loose stools that wouldn't go away. Tried different food with no success. Took her to the vet. Ended up being giardia.

Sorry, but I'd take her in