The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Warning: I just got my account hacked.....

$2000 in one day right after I bought gas from a Racetrac dealer in FL.

$119 for paintball in CA and a bunch to Bible Schools and churches.

Please check the scanner when buying gas.

Last month someone tried to hack mine but the bank caught it. I guess I don't shop at Macy's enough lol. They called me to see if it was me and then cancelled the card.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

oh the irony...financing church with stolen money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

7 members found this post helpful.

My VISA, too. They knew I was not the primary holder, they knew my husband's birthday, and they knew the amount (even I didn't know that.)
    I ran to the bank and they cancelled it right away. Know that VISA never, ever phones you to get private informtion. ... and the call display was a gobbledegook numnber. (It can be cancelled by phone from the number on the back, but I just wanted it done NOW).
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I got fraudulent charges on my BOA Visa on Saturday, and fraudulent charges on my Citi Visa today! I rarely use these cards but I think they're on file with some online vendors I deal with.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    $2000 in one day right after I bought gas from a Racetrac dealer in FL.

$119 for paintball in CA and a bunch to Bible Schools and churches.

Please check the scanner when buying gas.
    How do you check the scanner?

A Racetrac here in Brevard County found a few skimmers a couple months ago. I now always make a point to inspect and wiggle the card reader a bit to make sure it appears legitimate. When in doubt, I pay inside or go somewhere else.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    How do you check the scanner?
    Yes, wondering this too.

Scary stuff.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Update:
    I'm on my second day trying to straighten out the mess. My bank has been great, but I now know he has made a duplicate card, knows my address and phone number, and CALLED ME on a prepaid phone card he bought with my money. This is really creeping me out.

I called Race Trac and was told it didn't happen there. They didn't even ask what pump I used! The bank said police don't want to hear these cases anymore, as there is little they can do.

What a world.....

Debit card or credit card?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Debit, but ALL covered by VISA....thank you, VISA!

Years ago, my checking account at Wells Fargo got wiped out by someone who stole my debit card number and went shopping at Hot Girlz Fashions in Buffalo, NY. The first charge went through unnoticed. The second got red flagged and WF's computer called me. I tracked down the store and called, got the owner and asked about the purchase. She remembered them because they tried to buy $1000s but the card kept declining. She also had to key in the number because I owned the only legitimate card in existence.

I got the fraud squad to reverse the charges, but they refused to reverse the overdraft charges from my bounce mortgage payment. I don't bank with WF any more.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Update:
    I'm on my second day trying to straighten out the mess. My bank has been great, but I now know he has made a duplicate card, knows my address and phone number, and CALLED ME on a prepaid phone card he bought with my money. This is really creeping me out.

I called Race Trac and was told it didn't happen there. They didn't even ask what pump I used! The bank said police don't want to hear these cases anymore, as there is little they can do.

What a world.....
    Ok, the person knowing where you live and having your number, that IS creepy, get ye to the nearest police station post hast and file a report.

Also, check your credit report...there might be more trouble brewing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Do file a report with the police! He sounds like a crazy person and if he's phoning you, it's not 'just' fraud any more. (Fraud is bad enough on its own without adding a crazy person to the mix!)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    I don't bank with WF any more.
    Don't get me started on Wells Fargo. Today I threatened to yank what remains as still at least a near six figure relationship started by my parents in 1954 with Wells Fargo (originally Northwestern National Bank of Minneapolis, but changed for marketing purposes in a series of acquisitions) because of outright lies being palmed off on me the past few days as facts.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    I got fraudulent charges on my BOA Visa on Saturday, and fraudulent charges on my Citi Visa today! I rarely use these cards but I think they're on file with some online vendors I deal with.
    I also received fraudulent charges on my BoA debit card yesterday. Two charges, one for $2 and one for $2.49. Both charges were from the same company. I received an alert email from BofA this morning, went to their website and logged in (I've made it a habit of never clicking a link in an email!). Fraud dept is aware, my debit card is cancelled, replacement on its' way. I'm to call the Fraud Center Friday morning to see what their investigation turned up.

They seemed to think the small charges were a way of checking to see if there was $ in the account or a pre-authorization hold, with plans to charge a larger amount of money.

Yep, mine started with a $ .01 charge followed by about 15 $1-$3 charges (donations to a church). It went wild shortly thereafter.

I have had my mastercard and my debit card numbers stolen in the last 6 months. Thank heaven for USAA catching both very quickly and that all the charges were covered. Still a pain in the rear regardless.
    My blog:

RAWR

I bank with a credit union, and check my account online daily. My card was hacked about 2 years ago, and since I make a point to check my account at least once a day, I caught it fairly quickly.

Got my money refunded and a new card overnighted to me.

OP, the fact that the thief called you is weird and very scary.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I've been scimmed twice now! Luckily both times my bank (Royal Bank) stopped them as they couldn't figure out my pin number in the three times you are allowed to try (machine boots you out after 3x in Canada). I found out because I was on vacation and suddenly my card wouldn't work. Phoned the bank, they opened my account to let me take out the amount I told them I needed and then shut the account again. No $ missing from my account luckily!

Friends of mine had their Visa scimmed and charges were made in a different country. Luckily they had advised the bank were and when they were on vacation and bank called them to let them know the account had been used somewhere else and were they aware of this? When they said no, account was shut down and all $ were put back by the bank (I believe that's why some of our bank charges are so high because we don't loose our money if we can prove we had no idea of what was going on!)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!