The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default clicker video of our new guy

i thought i'd post this for fun. my hubby enjoys doing clicker training. Our New horse is 6 yrs old and a bit head shy with halters, bridles, and anything that goes over his head. We are working with him and trying to gain his trust. he came from auction, so we don't know why he does not trust people, but i don't blame him. This is his first Clicker session on learning to touch the target. he did great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLsHZg5Kx_Q

awww! What a good boy he is!

1 members found this post helpful.

he's so cute, what a gorgeous horse!! smart, too!

Fun! I love clicker training! I love how your DH makes the carrot appear out of thin air. Very nice technique!

Do you want suggestions?

1. When you are in between touches, put the target behind your back so it is clear to the horse when the target it in play.

2. Don't use the verbal cue until the horse is 100% sure what he is to do and you are 100% sure he will do it. In other words, you attach a cue to a learned behavior, not the other way around.

3. Keep the target in exactly the same position until the horse is 100% sure what he is to do. When he has that down pat, then you move it around. (Make it easy!)

4. To avoid having Piper snuffling at your husband's body and treat bag, he could work from the outside of the pen until you're sure of your horse's manners. Your horse might find that less threatening too. (ETA: I'm not saying he seems threatened; but you said he has trust issues.)

5. Your husband should keep his hand away from the treatbag until after the click.

Is this your first clicker training project? Your husband seems like he's done this before.

What are your plans? Do you intend to continue the clicker training?

Come look at my clicker training blog!
    Last edited by Cindyg; Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

2 members found this post helpful.

Gosh he is so cute and VERY smart! I'm talking about the horse, of course!

Cindyg - your clicker suggestions are very interesting. I've done some clicker training with my pet rabbit and he really loves it but I hit a roadblock in our training so will check out your blog to see some of your ideas in action.

What a cute horse!!
    I was going to make some suggestions also, but Cindy beat me to it!!

For now, let the target be your cue (so yes, you hide it behind your back after each touch by the horse.)
    Words mean nothing to the horse right now. He is reading environmental cues. Wait to add the verbal cue until he gets it right 100% of the time without hesitation. (You can clearly see this when Piper is asked for "down "at the end. He does not understand the word and hubby has to use his hand -and whole body! - to lure him down.)

Looks like you have a smart horse there, and hubby has good timing. Hope the suggestions help! Isn't clicker training fun?

2 members found this post helpful.

hubby has been clicker training since 1999. He has great success. I am terrible at clicker b/c i just can't get my timing together. Piper has been very shy, so we are not going to discourage him just yet. this was Piper's very first session. we had no idea if he would even touch the target. we would like to get him to drop his head for the halter, and to stand next to the mounting block.

Here he is with his horse, Tango. Tango would do anything for food. so he was pretty easy to train. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Y2JyN_R2c

If he's been doing it for over 10 years he probably does not want a critique , but I agree with others on the changes suggested. It was too "loud" for me with lots of unnecessary commands. The timing was good and the horse is darling - what's his story?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

all we know is he was in the kill pen, a rescue who works with the kill buyer posted a video of him online. we bought him and he has been here for 3 weeks. afraid of people, altho riding him is ok, he has issues with mounting, dismounting, bridling, haltering, and going near the mounting block. Hubby is doing fine, i am not going to tell him to change his ways. he gets results. Piper is already letting the BM pet him since the clicker session.

I knew we would be criticized just by me posting this. But i did not ask for a critique, just wanted to share this fun time..
    Last edited by Nezzy; Feb. 20, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

I just started exploring clicker training more. I haven't tried it on the dogs or horses yet, but plan on starting out on the dogs. I think Piper is a really good looking horse, and smart. And I appreciated the tips by other posters, but I also wouldn't tell my husband to change. If my husband actually showed that much initiative to train a horse I'd keep my mouth shut!
    It looks like Piper enjoys the session too.

I have food motivated animals, so I should use that for good, not evil, and get them to do a few neat things. I'll work on that, as soon as it warms up around here!

hubby gets results, but i find that i am not very good at my timing. some people are naturals at it. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure I won't be a natural. I'm not a natural at plain old groundwork. I have a much easier time working with the dogs so I am definitely starting there, and possibly with some simple stuff with the horses.

How frequently does your husband do training sessions? I'm busy with work and kids, so might not have time to consistently train. Although I can probably fit in short sessions once we get more daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I won't be a natural. I'm not a natural at plain old groundwork. I have a much easier time working with the dogs so I am definitely starting there, and possibly with some simple stuff with the horses.

How frequently does your husband do training sessions? I'm busy with work and kids, so might not have time to consistently train. Although I can probably fit in short sessions once we get more daylight.
    Don't worry, you will do better if you only do very short sessions at first, don't keep practicing the same over and over and over.

Each one finds their own way to apply that kind of training, but it is best if someone can show you first how to, anywhere, even a basic dog clicker training class.
    The same concepts apply to all, humans included.

We start our dog starter clicker training class with humans clicking each other.

With horses, I like to start with the horse learning to hold it's head away from me for a click and treat.
    This works best for me to get the horse to not become all about doing and not have the concept of not all expected behaviors being about doing something.

Starting with target training makes more sense to humans, but horses seem to get confused as soon as you move the target, as it becomes a more complex task, in reality two behaviors are then asked.
    I think it works better when at first we are still working on one behavior and the emphasis is on understanding how the game works.

Above all, remember not to keep repeating anything too much, it is about establishing concepts for the horse also, not working on learning a motor skill that needs repeating to get good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post

the great thing about horses is- they remember. Maybe not everything all at once, but if you go a week or two, they will pick it back up with no problem. We have a book by Alexandra kurland. I believe it's called Clicker training for your horse. It is probably cheap on amazon.