The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lawn Mowing

I have a confession to make. I'm scared of machines with gasoline engines. I know it's silly, I know it's even on the stupid side, but, my stomach just does flip flops all the time I'm navigating that riding mower. I mowed my lawn for a long time. Then, when the boys next door got big enough, I hired them to mow. Last Spring, the youngest moved out. I got a walk behind mower (I can deal with them much better), a good one, and started mowing the lawn again. I then developed sciatica from horsing that thing around the lawn. So, I have to do something about the lawn mowing this year.

I have an acre lot. I don't believe in putting chemicals on my lawn, so it's not your typical suburban monotonous but weed free yard. About the back third is mowed about once a month, just to keep the woods from growing in. The rest gets mowed as needed. Around here, the mowing season runs from April through October.

I contacted three services and I got my first quote back today, only to realize that I have no idea what is fair and what is not. This one quoted me $1,150 for the season, which made me gulp a bit and think about dealing with the sciatica again this year, but I'm not crazy about that idea. I have some questions about how often he will be mowing, etc., but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of whether or not this is a fair price?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I thought for sure this would be related to canoeing.

11 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

katharine, you should have looked at who posted it. Old granny-pants Louise isn't going to post about anything related to canoeing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why not get a push mower? The ones with just blades on it. They do still sell those.

I am not one for chemicals ever on my pastures or lawn. I do all the mowing here, weed eating, etc. Just for reference, my Dad paid $30 a month for 2 mowings. They mowed every other week. He lived in FL. Small yard. They did catch all the grass. Wow that grass grew fast too. Find a local kid to mow for you. One who is business minded, and is not afraid to work. I know, hard to find.

If your size is too much, get a vegge garden going, and put in landscape which is low maintenance. You could maybe rent/lease out your grassy areas so others could garden them.

I have not mentioned boating or granny pants.

Do as everyone here is doing, put the whole front yard in hardscape, big pavers and gravel beds and only leave grass on the sides and back, where you really can enjoy it and may give your house some sun protection.

Hard scape can reflect the heat back onto the house, depending where you put it and what you put on it.
    Hardscape is fine around trees, won't hurt them, use a drip system for watering them.

Hardscape is one time big expense, but never more after that, other than pulling up the occasional stray weed, or nuking it with a three month herbicide if you have a problem spot.

Ask around, and you might find someone like my guy. He has a real job, so he does my yard on the side, does some others (my phone guy recommended him, he charges him $80 to do his acre), and only does the yard every two weeks or so. I know the price sounds like a lot for the entire season, but if you figure in your pain, your time, and equipment you have to buy, then it's a good deal. I'll never go back to doing my own lawn. I've found the people who mow as a part time job are more reasonable. Make sure they don't want to mow a lot more than you need, especially for the back section.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I turned my 4 geldings in on the back yard. But there are spots where they apparently don't like the grass so their mowing isn't very even. I'm thinking about putting them on a picket line in the front yard.

an acre is a lot to push a mower over....

I think there are still peopel out there trying to make a living cutting grass...I had several stop by and ask, but I have my grass cutting guy, he cuts it for 50 bucks each time, had not raised his fees even when the gas went up into the stratosphere...
    I return the favor by paying promptly on time (matter of fact, one time ahead, so I don't have to be there or on the ready, since he cuts my place, weed eats and blows it clean in about 30 minutes.

get sheep

Original Poster

I do have a plain old mower, with no motor, just the blades, and I use it in the summer, when the grass isn't growing and I only need to get a spot here and there. I just don't want to get sciatica again, and if I got if from walking behind one that was motorized, I'm afraid it would recur.

I have too many big trees for a garden, the root systems and the shade means nothing much will grow. What I would love to do is to plant the whole thing in native plants. They problem is that, here in suburban hell , people tend to call them weeds, and the town comes after you to clean up your lawn. I think it would look lovely, covered with Sweet Woodruff and Canada Anemone. Another thing I have to look out for is that fact that, while I'm not over the hill yet, I'm definitely climbing it. I don't want to get into anything so complicated that I'm not going to be able to do it in a few years.

Bluey, I'll have to look into that hardscape. That's a term I haven't heard before, though there'll be no herbicide spread around here. I value my wild things, including the ones that crawl on the ground, too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I do have a plain old mower, with no motor, just the blades, and I use it in the summer, when the grass isn't growing and I only need to get a spot here and there. I just don't want to get sciatica again, and if I got if from walking behind one that was motorized, I'm afraid it would recur.

I have too many big trees for a garden, the root systems and the shade means nothing much will grow. What I would love to do is to plant the whole thing in native plants. They problem is that, here in suburban hell , people tend to call them weeds, and the town comes after you to clean up your lawn. I think it would look lovely, covered with Sweet Woodruff and Canada Anemone. Another thing I have to look out for is that fact that, while I'm not over the hill yet, I'm definitely climbing it. I don't want to get into anything so complicated that I'm not going to be able to do it in a few years.

Bluey, I'll have to look into that hardscape. That's a term I haven't heard before, though there'll be no herbicide spread around here. I value my wild things, including the ones that crawl on the ground, too much.
    hardscape is the permanent structures you put in the yard. walkways, patios, gazeebos....you can cut down a on a lot of grass with that.

See if the local boyscout troop would be willing to lend you a hand.

oh, and they might be a bit pricier, but push mowers do come with a self propel feature. I personally hate it, but it does cut down on the pushing!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    oh, and they might be a bit pricier, but push mowers do come with a self propel feature. I personally hate it, but it does cut down on the pushing!
    Yeh, my mower has that. I hate it, too. Darn thing runs away with me.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    get sheep
    We can't even have chickens in this town, clanter, unless we have five acres and run a commercial farm.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I thought for sure this would be related to canoeing.
    Can we talk about *that* kind of lawn moving within this thread? Maybe it will squeak by the censors.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Can we talk about *that* kind of lawn moving within this thread? Maybe it will squeak by the censors.

It's not silly or stupid. Most people have irrational fears. I'm absolutely horrified of sharks. I have no reason to be...but I am so there ya go.

It isn;t cheap hiring a mowing service. Cost will vary from region to region, but that doesn't sound out of the normal range.

They do make electric engine push and ride on mowers now. I have no idea what they cost, but I can't imagine it would be much more than a couple-three years' worth of hiring a service.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

There has to be something in between the boy next door and the big, fancy, expensive lawn service. College students home for the summer, local handyman types, etc. My Dad hired a guy like that to go over on a regular schedule and mow at my Grandmother's. (OMG trying not to think about the other connotation!)

They have electric self mower robots, like the ones that sweep and mop houses.
    You set them up, set the little control box on one end and they go back and forth mowing at set times and go back to dock to their recharging station.

Find out how many mowings your are getting for that price and do the math. I think $50 per outting wouldn't be unreasonable.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Default PSA

Just a quick PSA

I saw someone mention that people stop by to ask about mowing the lawn.

Please be aware this is a common tactic for residential burglars. They are using this method to determine who is home during the day, under the guise of selling labor. Unlike how the movies portray it, most residential burglaries occur during the daytime when everyone in the home (plus neighbors) are at work.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl