The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Taxi cab étiquette.

Occasionally when DH is out of town and I'm without a car, I take a taxi. I've only taken taxis a handful of times in my life and most of them have been in the last few months since I moved here--with the same company.

But today I had a weird experience.

1) Driver asked how I was planning to pay and I said credit. He asked if there was any way I could pay in cash. Sure, I said. I just have to get $$ out of the ATM.

2) I needed to pop in and out of the grocery store. So like usual I said, "You'll wait then, right?" "of course." But when I got back to the car no joke 5 min later he was all "You want a ride BACK?" Well yeah! He was pretty upset. Said I should've made that clearer, he thought he was just waiting for cash. Said he was supposed to be somewhere else and was in trouble. He damn near mowed down 2 pedestrians driving me back home and he hit the speed bumps like ramps.

3) When we got home and I was to pay, he had no idea what to charge. He hadn't been running the meter! Just asked for X amount (which was actually about the right amount, about a dollar less than usual for the same trip and I gave him a few bucks over.)

I told him then that I'd call and talk to someone to make sure he wasn't in trouble for the fact that I apparently didn't communicate that it was a round trip. He was adamant that I didn't call.

But I did. I called. I told them what happened, that I didn't want to get the guy in trouble but that I wanted to know what to do differently next time because I clearly didn't communicate properly although I've never had trouble in the past. This complaint line guy was all "you didn't do anything wrong ma'am" and "he is required by law to take credit ma'am" and what not.

I feel badly for probably getting this dude in trouble. But he truly was a bit of a jerk and I think he's probably shady. No one else has ever acted that way and this little trip is the ONLY trip I take in a cab.

Am I missing something?

I am kind of a small town/low brow person so maybe I just don't know how it works. Do fill me in.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

yeah, the course on how to make money under the table....

I am sure he had his reason to not run the meter (I am sure that can be checked) for wanting cash (again, not running the meter, and being able to check that)
    and you not calling, because one and two on the list seem to be pretty much obvious.

The only time I ever got into a cab, I had locked the keys in the truck and had to go home grab the spares....the 20 bucks I paid the man (including generous tip) was less than locksmith or new windows...

I am sure you frosted his cookie with the call
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like he was operating off the clock. He didn't want you calling because he was going to keep the entire fare and cash. NOT normal, not legal, and he's gonna get in trouble, but he should. If he's employed by a cab company and they own his hack license, he's not supposed to be collecting fares on the side.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's normal for a cab trip to be just one way. That's prolly why the driver turned off his meter while you were in the store.

But you can arrange whatever you want him dispatch and/or with driver so long as you tell 'em up front.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You're in the DC area, right? I don't know that I've been in a local cab recently that didn't have a card machine right in the back. I've paid cash before, but never had anyone request it. My suspicion would be what was supposed above--that he was taking this fare off the clock, which is why he didn't want to run it through the CC machine. Was the meter running on the way to the grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It's normal for a cab trip to be just one way. That's prolly why the driver turned off his meter while you were in the store.

But you can arrange whatever you want him dispatch and/or with driver so long as you tell 'em up front.
    but the waiting time would probably be counted, too...you know, leave the meter running....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My brother is a taxi driver in VA, has been for years. I asked once, and he said they can take your credit card right there in the taxi. Don't know about the round trip thing, but the guy was definitely off on not wanting to do credit.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I rarely, if ever, use a taxi service, but credit card payments are considered standard for all the cab companies and solo cabbies too. It simply isn't possible to operate in this area without taking credit cards in the cab.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    but the waiting time would probably be counted, too...you know, leave the meter running....
    Yabbut cabbie thought the ride was over when they got to the grocery store/ATM. I'd assume he was being honest by not leaving the meter running during the time it would take to get paid.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Yabbut cabbie thought the ride was over when they got to the grocery store/ATM. I'd assume he was being honest by not leaving the meter running during the time it would take to get paid.
    but if he was honest, he would have known how much it was

The driver asked for cash BEFORE they were at the store. He asked as soon as she got in the cab. There's no doubt what he was doing.

Well, I used to travel quite a bit, and except for the times when the fare were booked by the company in advance to and from the airport, all taxi asked for cash. I guess I'm accustomed to it. Maybe things have changed. That is the only reason I ever kept cash when I travel.

It's pretty standard these days for cabs to accept credit cards. When I lived in Philly the first 2 years of vet school, on the rare occasion that friends and I went out, we'd usually share cabs back to our neighborhood. Frequently the CC machine "wasn't working" (esp if the cabbie thought we looked drunk). Miraculously, as soon as I'd say, "K, then, guess we'll wait for the next one" and moved to get out, there would be backpedaling and the machine was magically fixed.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

1 members found this post helpful.

I travel for work a lot, all over the US. Not all jurisdictions require cab drivers to take credit. I have frequently had drivers ask if I can pay in cash. This is frowned upon by my company which requires us to our corporate card for just about everything. But I have had drivers tell me that it can take a long time to get the money from some card issuers. Plus there are the fees.

I have a much bigger beef with how filthy DC cabs can be. They are the worst anywhere.

When I arrived at my hotel a little while ago my driver got out, got my bag out of the trunk, set it by my door. Sat back down, handed me my receipt. I had tipped 20%. I politely asked him to open my door, which he got back out and did. I shouldn't have to ask, but I will if I have to! So my cab driver etiquette might be a little different than yours.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

It's kind of beside the point if cabs in this country or that area take credit--this cab company DID, but their DRIVER specifically didn't want to take cash. And if he thought the fare was over, and shut off the meter, he could still have turned it back on for the rest of the ride. Definitely sketchy.