The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you Punt before the finish line?

I think I do this and I want to stop.

On paper, it looks like I have done a lot. But it feels worse and worse to do that... and I get less and less done. I miss getting shizzle done. I still feel like I want to do things or be part of things that are bigger than me.... but I don't do it, and that's sad.

I "get" where this came from: In my family, we kids were supposed to be good enough so that folks could be proud of you and also not worried about you. Beyond that, however,... if you needed help from someone else to get something big done? That was taboo. In short, the minute you won, you lost because others were pretty invested in not helping you celebrate.

Whatevs about the past. How to change up my game now?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It may be the painkillers but I don't understand this post

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

At first, I thought this was a thread about something else but now I have no idea what it really is about.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

11 members found this post helpful.

Glad it's not just me. Mind went to the gutter when I read the title, but now I'm lost...

6 members found this post helpful.

Bad Lex!! But I was there to, especially after being reminded of the canoeing thread.

MVP what is you think you are not doing enough of? Or are you missing the team feeling of getting something done together?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    At first, I thought this was a thread about something else but now I have no idea what it really is about.
    If what you were thinking involve s your mind deep in the gutter that was the only thing my pain filled mind could think of lol

1 members found this post helpful.

I just posted on the Canoe thread so of course I was thinking of that when I read the title of this one and thought OMG - who admits to that? Plus I thought mvp is a woman...isn't that usually a male thing?

(yeah - I went there sorry. mind-gutter.)

ETA - I'm on pain meds too but I don't blame that. I'm just a dirty person.

8 members found this post helpful.

PaintPony- to bad this is a family forum because I admit I have a mind that is almost always in the gutter and add in the painkillers I think you and I could start and keep going an interesting thread

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    If what you were thinking involve s your mind deep in the gutter that was the only thing my pain filled mind could think of lol
    When reading this forum, I'm often like a crocodile in a river of filthy, dirty thoughts and all you can see are my eyes poking out of the water, glaring at you.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    PaintPony- to bad this is a family forum because I admit I have a mind that is almost always in the gutter and add in the painkillers I think you and I could start and keep going an interesting thread
    LOL! You have no idea. My friends and I have a dirty joke that is going on almost 6 months now with no signs of dying.

(I had surgery last week and am most likely on my last days of drugs)

okies, people... put the ores away....

OP, am I reading this right?

when you do your best and finally achieve, the loving people around you kind of turn their nose up at you?

Are you by any chance of Amish/Mennonite descent (or otherwise puritan)?

My mom was raised to not toot her own horn, my other grandmother (yeah, i got it on both sides) was commenting on my cousins class best grade in a French test with 'and the others were that dumb?'
    way to deflate the joy!

Not sure how to combat that.
    Surround yourself with a cheer squad. People who understand and value your achievements...

make the conscious efford to praise yourself, because if you don't toot your horn, nobody else likely will!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”

“There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.”

“Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it”

“Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these.”

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

“What we think, we become.”

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading”

“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There's only one moment for you to live, and that is the present moment”

“Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.”

~Buddha

Do today today, do tomorrow tomorrow. That's how stuff gets done.

As for fixing the inside stuff, you probably needs some outside help for self-esteem. The "suck it up fluffy" school of child rearing has some positives, but often leaves us with some issues. If your walking around feeling less than, go talk to a qualified professional.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who read the first post and went "Huh?" I didn't think canoeing, rather that the prednisone withdrawal is really getting to my brain, but apparently it wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”

“There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.”

“Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it”

“Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these.”

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

“What we think, we become.”

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading”

“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There's only one moment for you to live, and that is the present moment”

“Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.”

~Buddha
    "Matt Damon!"

~ Matt Damon

2 members found this post helpful.

Meh. I've never been hung up on that whole completion thing.

I love deadlines. I love the sound they make as they go swooshing by............
    Quote from Julie and Julia

3 members found this post helpful.

Am interpreting the question as it being routine to only getting the mundane/expected done - but don't plan on shooting for something higher, or you'll get scorned...

If that's correct, think the only way to change this, or whatever the concern is, is to get yourself into a different locale - a different setting. Look around you while in and amongst others you aren't normally with. And figure out your plan from there.

Had a really dismal day yesterday. Lots facing me. Really bleak outside. Dragged down. Had to snap myself out of it. Put on a different kind of music, lit a scented candle. Ran outside to fill the bird feeders even. Anything to just get past it, and attack what I'm facing again. When I came back in, had a new attitude.

Also, if we're quoting adages here - a fellow stopped in one day at the office a few years ago - to talk to me about business. Coincidentally it was right at the beginning of my divorce proceedings. Tough time personally - also very tough time at the office. And my son was not happy with school or friends. The guy is normally a jerk, but passed along one of his father's favorites - 'Move a muscle, change a thought'.

Same principle. Guy came back to mind again yesterday. It's funny where you can get some of the best stuff from.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    When reading this forum, I'm often like a crocodile in a river of filthy, dirty thoughts and all you can see are my eyes poking out of the water, glaring at you.
    As you float by in a canoe?