The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default XxTerra (or somesuch): Herbal stuff for aural plaques?

Vet for the HO I ride for just prescribed this stuff.

No idea what's in it. No idea how it works. I have never found a cure for aural plaques (and stopped paying attention to cures a long time ago).

Anyone have any experience with this cure or another?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Dermafas
    friend of bar.ka

I have used this: http://www.jefferspet.com/wartsoff/camid/liv/cp/BW-W1/

I did *not* apply it twice daily, I would just put it on whenever I was at the barn. It didn't seem to irritate my horse at all, and shortly the plaques went away and have not yet returned. The last time I used the stuff was probably a couple of years ago, at least. It's in a petroleum jelly base, so attracts dirt, but that was the only ill effect. My horse didn't have many plaques--I don't know if it would do anything for more extreme cases. Of course his plaques could have just coincidentally gone away when I began to apply this stuff, but for what it's worth it *appeared* effective.

Are the plaques causing problems? I've never known anyone to bother treating them. They're there, but they don't do anything.

i have heard of xterra being used for sarcoids. it has bloodroot in it.

I used Xxterra on my horse's sarcoid with good results. I was warned that it could cause a pretty nasty reaction and cause the horse pain, but the sarcoid just turned black and fell off.

Thanks for your replies!

The plaque on this horse's ear is ugly and 3-D. It didn't bother him. His owner is kind-hearted and clueless. When the vet pointed it out and that she had a cure, the HO went for it.

I think the Xterra is irritation. Horse, who is a bit of an unbroke sissy, doesn't want us putting it on. And the barn guy says he has been rubbing his ear in the meantime.

The directions called for 5 days of treatment, then a week off. The thing is supposed to just fall off at some point. I hope that happens after the first round.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'd be leery of using Xterra on aural plaques. It does have bloodroot in it, but it also has zinc chloride and is an escharotic.

In other words, it will cause more discomfort to the horse than the aural plaques.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I've had luck with Otomax http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1446 its an ear med for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I'd be leery of using Xterra on aural plaques. It does have bloodroot in it, but it also has zinc chloride and is an escharotic.

In other words, it will cause more discomfort to the horse than the aural plaques.
    From your mouth to the HO's ears! Little horse thinks so, too. But none of the people knew that or said anything. Sigh. I'll talk to 'em.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

have used Xxterra for an ear sarcoid and yes it is really really uncomfortable for them. I couldn't touch the horse's face after day 3. But it did work for the sarcoid. After that I spent alot of time taking the bridle apart to bridle the horse. He was headshy for a long time after.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    have used Xxterra for an ear sarcoid and yes it is really really uncomfortable for them. I couldn't touch the horse's face after day 3. But it did work for the sarcoid. After that I spent alot of time taking the bridle apart to bridle the horse. He was headshy for a long time after.
    Were you at our barn?

This is exactly what has happened. Exactly.

And Horselet was old but relatively green when we started the assault. Also, he had an impatient farrier decide to lip-chain him (and I suspect is was done without the requisite skill).

Sigh. We have given this poor horse has no reason to put his head down, evan, and I'm 5'2".
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I guess I was really lucky...my horse's sarcoid was on the inside of his stifle. Not exactly a fun place to be when you are doing something painful. He never reacted at all, and he is a HUGE SISSY. Not so much as a lifted leg or pinned ears when I applied the gunk, or after the sarcoid fell off.

Someone at our barn used the Xterra for sarcoids on one horse, then, at vets rec, used it for a melanoma growth on her gray's poll. It didn't seem to hurt her at all & the thing did go away.