The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanted: Fancy Young Tb Prospect

I don't want to get in trouble for this being a wanted ad.... this is just generally more of a, "where should I start looking," thread. I had the pleasure of riding some great Tbs when I was a junior, and I would like to make one up to do the PreGreens/TB divisions in the coming years.

I live in Ct and am open to traveling up to 3 hours away to look at horses.
    Preferences: 16.1+ (I'm tall), gelding, good moving, good mind.

So, aside from CANTER & Fingerlakes Finest, any ideas for me? Are there any great small farms in my area that restart TBs to sell them on?
    Thanks!

What is your price range? Are you looking for something pretty green to make-up, or something already restarted that just needs some polish?

Pat Dale @ Three Plain Bays does a wonderful job finding high quality OTTB's and putting the basics on them. She always has new ones coming in, let her know what you are looking for. She is in Conowingo, MD and I believe posts on here. A good friend of mine purchased on through her last summer and he is lovely winning at the rated shows!

I know it's a out of your 3 hour range, but her tb's are always worth a look!

http://threeplainbays.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Three-...ref=ts&fref=ts

You may also want to look into New Vocation's horses!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    What is your price range? Are you looking for something pretty green to make-up, or something already restarted that just needs some polish?
    Thanks- green as grass is fine by me. I have time & patience. That said, I'm more than willing to spend more if it has already been restarted or is very fancy. I have a very reasonable budget and will wait for the right quality animal. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Reminisce;6845079]Pat Dale @ Three Plain Bays does a wonderful job finding high quality OTTB's and putting the basics on them. She always has new ones coming in, let her know what you are looking for.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Three-Plain-Bays/171491589548436?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Pat Dale @ Three Plain Bays does a wonderful job finding high quality OTTB's and putting the basics on them. She always has new ones coming in, let her know what you are looking for. She is in Conowingo, MD and I believe posts on here. A good friend of mine purchased on through her last summer and he is lovely winning at the rated shows!

I know it's a out of your 3 hour range, but her tb's are always worth a look!

http://threeplainbays.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Three-...ref=ts&fref=ts
    I recently bought a horse from Pat and it was a very good experience. The horses were as represented, and she actually had 4 that were what I was looking for.

I drove there- 8 hours one way with the trailer- and it was well worth it.

1 members found this post helpful.

You can try Dreamhorse.com, and OTTB second chance/adoption foundations. You sound like you are ready to bring along a green horse so you should be able to find quite a few prospects.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

I think New Vocations does a brilliant job with their horses, and they get some really lovely ones in as well. They have 3 facilities, I think---one in OH, one in Lexington, and I forget where the third one is. You can also try RERUN (they have facilities in NY, one of the Carolinas, etc) and CANTER. Between those three, you should be able to find what you're looking for

Peter Foley has a client in his barn who has won some major accolades in the adult hunters with a full TB. I'd find out who bred that horse because I seem to recall reading an article that those folks breed TB's for H/J. (don't remember their name though)

I also have nothing but great things to say about Pat. I purchased a lovely colt from her in Oct and another gelding in November. They both are exactly how she represented them and couldn't have made the buying process any easier.

She had the vet there to meet me, vetted out and put him on the trailer and made the long trip home!

She actually has some really lovely ones right now!!

Check out tebogosporthorses.com. They usually have some lovely young prospects.

4 members found this post helpful.

Stacey Emory of Ocala always has lovely prospects. She's on facebook and has a SUPER reputation. She posts here as max something but I can't remember it currently.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    I have been drooling over that gray gelding for a while now. I wish I had room in the barn!
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

There's a lady in NJ who has a lovely 17.1 mare OTTB. If I hadn't been given my gelding she would have been mine. MEssage me and I can forward you her info. She had a couple others as well but this mare had "it".

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Feb. 28, 2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: advertising violation
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    Let me second (third?) Tebogo. They have some beautiful, fancy horses and do a great job with training and showing.

You can also get in touch with jleegriffith here on CoTH -- she does retraining work for CANTER MA and always has nice horses at her place.

I've heard nothing but great things about both of them.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

A fourth for Tebogo. Great horses. Wish I had the money for a second Tebogo alumni! The people are super, as well.

a fifth for Tebogo. Page, their trainer, is my former journalism student. She was one of my best writers in 10 years of teaching, and her riding skills are equal to her writing skills. She does a lovely job with the horses, and she is a delightful young woman.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    I have been drooling over that gray gelding for a while now. I wish I had room in the barn!
    Snowy he came from me... he is by a TB sire stands in VW. (don't think this is a violation since I SOLD him?)

There are a couple of gorgeous TBs with New Vocations right now. I have been sharing (and admiring) them on FB.
    Beautiful.
    Best of luck, I'm glad to see you looking for a Thoroughbred.