The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As long as there is no tension arising from whatever one is trying to do, I do not think you can cause much harm to your horse. Always give them the benefit of the doubt when you know they are trying.

I have had some horses that rode extremely well with a caved in back. Upside down from incorrect training, NOT from their original conformation given to them by God and destroyed by poor riding and horsemanship.

ETA: Goodpony, just in case, the above comment was absolutely in no way aimed at you. You are experimenting in a non-forceful manner which is fine. What you are doing looks like it is benefitting Jack a lot. He is built like a tank and could use a little yoga.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Velvet, please don't put words in my mouth, so to speak.

I did not say that correct backing up (rein-back) came after passage or piaffe, but at the same point (in time on the training scale) as passage or piaffe.

Backing up is as tricky to do correctly as passage or piaffe. It may not seem that way because it is coming out of the halt.
    I wasn't putting words in you mouth. Your initial reply started talking about rein back without any context other than as a reply in how to teach passage. I was stating that it wasn't making sense to me in that context. I also was not addressing the last paragraph in my last post to you, but rather to the subject of the OP.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

So, the question is when piaffe training starts. The act of backing is a very basic to handling a horse, used in hand early on on the ground. If the horse wtc it should start reinback (and it should already have a squared halt as well). And ideally piaffe training basics start as soon as the horse WTC well (when medium levels are starting...light collection) just in terms of walk/halt/walk/halt in hand. That is how rein back starts as well. The diagonalization of going backwards improves the proper flexion of the hind leg and helps with ALL collection (and esp piaffe). Of course the question is always how the rider asks for rein back. Do they sit lighter and pulse the aids, or sit heavy and hold (which hollows the back and breeds resistance).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I do teach them to back up, especially on the ground, but I try to keep it limited if the horse is not straight (green).

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post

ETA: Goodpony, just in case, the above comment was absolutely in no way aimed at you. You are experimenting in a non-forceful manner which is fine. What you are doing looks like it is benefitting Jack a lot. He is built like a tank and could use a little yoga.
    Tank Boy is going beautifully and continues to develop to his full potential--but it is slow thoughtful work (I suspect he would still be where he is at with or w/o SW--its been an interesting if not highly educational endeavor). The one most likely in need of some yoga is sitting on his back.

I've seen a few photos of him bucking and running and his topline looks great.

The SW photo you posted recently is really cute. He obviously is willing to try anything .