The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lock your tack stalls!

We didn't, and unfortunately had a couple saddles and some feed bags stolen at HITS Ocala.

Be careful!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh my.. I'd be ... extremely angry.. Sorry about that! :'(
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

we have a driveway gate out front, fenced in on both sides, driveway alarm, locked tack rooms, and really nothing worth stealing...hopefully we'll be okay. I'm still paranoid, really...

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    we have a driveway gate out front, fenced in on both sides, driveway alarm, locked tack rooms, and really nothing worth stealing...hopefully we'll be okay. I'm still paranoid, really...
    The OP is talking about tack stalls at a horse show. Different situation.

2 members found this post helpful.

That is so terrible... I am sorry to hear about it. Even locked things get stolen.

I will take my saddle with me home because yeah the cost is something I don't want to have to spend again but mostly because getting a saddle that fits me and the horse are something difficult to replace.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Yep... unless my giant, behemoth tack trunk is coming with to shows with me (which it probably won't, my trainer/the grooms steadfastly refuse to lift the heavy sucker) my saddle is coming home with me every night at horse shows.

When I was a kid my mom made me take all my leather stuff home/hotel with us. Always thought she was paranoid but even a locked tack stall at a horse show would be super easy to climb and grab stuff.

Thats a bummer! Another who takes her saddle home everynight when showing.

I always take my saddle, girth, bridle, and helmet home with me every night at a show. Easy to buy another halter, the other stuff I don't want to even think about replacing.

Sorry you had that happen to you!

In the early 90's Region 16 Arabians, had a big presentation on a Saturday night so everyone was in the arena. The ground crew knew that, went through with bolt cutters and emptied many of the big barns tack rooms. It was a huge huge debacle. So even locking sometimes just doesn't stop them.

I never leave saddles at shows or the barn. There have been too many incidents, especially here in California, with saddles being stolen. It is kind of a pain to haul around the saddle, but I would be crushed if it was stolen.

Terrible what happened.

It's exactly why ALL my stuff comes home/hotel with me, EVERY TIME, even when I'm by myself and have to lift my box in/out my lifted truck and again in/out if at hotel. I'm paranoid enough about leaving my horse in a facility, at least I can do something about my tack which I don't want to have to replace.

Unfortunately, I heard that more saddles were stolen last night.

It's really a shame to have to be so paranoid. Please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    The OP is talking about tack stalls at a horse show. Different situation.
    lol oops....my bad, carry on.....

I always, always take my saddle/bridle/etc. to the hotel/home at night during a horse show even if the tack stall is locked up. Better to be safe than sorry!

So sorry this happened though!!! I would be devastated if my saddle was stolen!

Not to be dense, but if in portable/non-permanent stabling, how does one "lock up" the tack stall ... other than putting saddles, etc., back in the trunks and locking them each night?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Not to be dense, but if in portable/non-permanent stabling, how does one "lock up" the tack stall ... other than putting saddles, etc., back in the trunks and locking them each night?
    A chain around where the door shuts that has a padlock on it. As others have noted, people can always take apart or climb over the stalls, but a locked tack stall is less inviting than an open one.

We have locked things in the horse trailer before (not the dressing area of the trailer, those can be broken into really easily, but the actual horse portion of the trailer, that you can secure with padlocks), when we did not think it was possible to fully secure a tack stall.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

I only leave out what I don't care if it grows legs. I am always amazed to walk by people's stalls at night & see saddles, bridles, girths, etc... laid out (& prime for the taking).

I know locks & chains can be cut & tack trunks carried off, but I figure if it's a little hassle a thief might keep on walking to the area where things are already laid out & easier to take.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"