The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another TB Event Prospect?

A friend of mine has 30+ horses and offered me this gal for $1000. What do you think of her confo? Sweet mare, I'd be able to take her on trial and everything. Thanks!

http://www.diamondshorthorns.com/littleredcoupe.html

She's really loooonnnggg and looks a bit straight behind. She'll be harder to put together. For eventing you really want something that fits in a square, built uphill with good hind end angulation.

Edited to add:
    This girl http://www.diamondshorthorns.com/pfolly.html
    Or this girl http://www.diamondshorthorns.com/angeliccat.html
    are both more the type you should be looking for.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Thoroughbred Mare - foaled in 2004.
    Pending Trakehner approval fall 2010.
    What were the results of the inspection?
    What has the mare done under saddle?

More importantly what are your strength's/weaknesses as a rider? are you adept at bringing along green horses? have you worked with many OTTB's straight off the track (obviously you can get some excellent horses for very little $$ when you're able to buy straight off the track...) Do you have a trainer that you can work with (& a weekly training budget)? Tack budget? Vet budget?

What are your goals for this horse (ie whichever horse you buy)?

A trial is great BUT if the mare is not in work, you'll likely spend a month just getting some fitness on her ...

I can ask about the inspection, the mare is green broke and done has been ridden by the more advanced pony club kids here and there but nothing extensive. I have lots of experience with greenies and quite a few off the track TBs. I'm just looking to get a project ASAP to get going before show season. I have a trainer, and money for vet and any supplies I need but don't have. If any tracks were open at this time of year I'd definitely check there first, but the market is quite dry around here at the moment. Just starting to get desperate you could say, as I've been looking for months and just can't find one that fits the bill. I'm looking for a good, forward, scopey prospect for no more than $3500 which is why I'm looking at the OTTBs. Hopefully something works out soon.

Ok if you're in a hurry, then offer to free lease this mare.

She's not worth her price based on the info given.

And if you put time and money into her you can a) buy her later or b) help them sell her and hopefully get a cut.

I get the urgency dynamic.. but horses aren't located by the checkout for a reason. They aren't meant to be "impulse buys."

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Not for $1000, maybe for $500 or free. A long back can sometimes back an incredible jumper, but crap dressage horse.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the free lease thing and getting a cut when she sells. Apparently she is very scopey, but not exactly a dressage horse. I may go try her anyways, who knows I might fall in love! Sometimes flighty chestnut mares can have that affect

I think she's a lovely mare. The pic is taken at an angle and so I think it creates a bit of an illusion of a longish back. I bet she's actually well proportioned. She has a super hind end, nice bone and a strong back. From what I can see of her shoulder, I like it. I like her top line, she looks like she has a strong loin area.

Tentam is right there in the third generation and I always like to see Northern Dancer. He brings incredible quickness and athleticism. Loudrangle is by Quadrangle who takes you right back to Mahmoud, Blenheim and Blandford. Good grief there are all kinds of great horses for sport in this pedigree.

Her bottom line goes back to Man O' War by her 6th generation. There is also Princequillo through Prince John. I think she's beautifully bred for racing and sport. I wonder if her foal is still around. It'd be cool to see what she produced.

Anyway, if you're not interested in breeding her, it's mostly about the horse you have in front of you and this one is beautiful. You're very fortunate to have an opportunity to take her on trail. I hope you do and I hope you love her at the end of the month.

It appears that she's had time off so she's ready to start. If she has a good mind and is sound I don't see how you can go wrong. And you have a trial!

By the way, she is uphill, she has a nice low stifle. Also, she has a nice wither, not so high that you'll have a tough time fitting a saddle to her.

She's nice....I really like Pembroke's Folly at that farm.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    She's nice....I really like Pembroke's Folly at that farm.
    Ditto

Yeah Pembroke's Folly is a really nice gal...but one of my friends is in love with her and full leasing her right now so the last thing I want to do is steal her away! I'll go check out the chestnut though.