The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone know if this really works?

I just received an email from Horseclicks advocating this product called "Stops Colic". I'd be interested in hearing from someone that's used it.

http://www.stopscolic.com/?utm_campa...l&utm_content=

Thanks,
    Elaine

Sure it works! They are closing down all the equine hospitals as they are unnecessary now. (sarcasm!) I certainly wouldn't endanger my horse's life by withholding medical treatment while waiting to see if this stuff did anything. I do not give anything by mouth when a horse is colicking either.

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, the amazing professional website really sold me.

Quite a few locals are swearing by this. It makes me want to bottle my own snake oil, since there's obviously an untapped local market of incredibly naive people with excess money they want to give away.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep. There hasn't been a case of colic in Michigan in 3 years since that product has been promoted. My vet is doing part-time car detailing, and I think they're going to be marketing it to people next as a cure for cancer, AIDS, and Lyme disease.

What the FDA lets pass as a product "not evaluated" is amazing to me. No doubt there are just enough loopholes for an over-the-top, ridiculously hyped bottle of snake oil sold by slimebags to just squeak by and not land them in jail.

I'd swear by it, too, if I were stupid enough to buy a bottle and had to explain why. Dang, I haven't had a colic in one of my horses for nearly 20 years--wonder what product I can credit for THAT?
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

What people snookered into buying this product may not realize is that a really enormous percentage of uncomplicated colics (spasmodic, gas, mild impaction) get better spontaneously within an hour; that is, "on their own."

They give the stuff, and lo, "IT'S A MIRACLE!!!"

The fact that Dr. Pepper or Maker's Mark would have worked every bit as well somehow eludes them . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess I won't be buying a bottle of this crap to keep in the barn then!

Use as you
    First Defense
    Not You
    Last Hope
    for colic in horses

You can say
    "Should of",
    all day long,
    but just do it.
    Just keep it on the shelf.
    Wow......grammar anyone?

and their advice is to just keep it on the shelf....so....don't use it?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

Its time to hitch up old Dobbin' to the wagon, lay in a supply of this stuff to go along with the other patent medicines(Dr. B's Elixirs of Life) I already stock, dust off my frock coat and top hat, and hit the road again. Think I'll find out where the next Chautauqua is to be held and head in that direction. Its been a while since the Right Reverend Rick and his Righteous Revival Review has performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    P.T. Barnum would be proud.

Its time to hitch up old Dobbin' to the wagon, lay in a supply of this stuff to go along with the other patent medicines(Dr. B's Elixirs of Life) I already stock, dust off my frock coat and top hat, and hit the road again. Think I'll find out where the next Chautauqua is to be held and head in that direction. Its been a while since the Right Reverend Rick and his Righteous Revival Review has performed.
    Hey, Rick, I didn't know you drive the Smart Pak wagon!

1 members found this post helpful.

List of the ingredients:

A combination of ingredients:

Kelp and Irish Sea Moss, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium D, Peppermint Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, and Purified Water Molasses for flavor and Sorbitol for sweetness.

All of the ingredients separately are approved for human or animal consumption by the FDA and can do no harm. Performance horses test drug free.
    Sounds like 1st class snake oil
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Well it's amazing stuff cause its absorbed in the stomach!! Last I check most things are absorbed from the small intestine.... I guess this is why the product is sooo amazing! Not to mention that kelp and sea moss are plant matter so actually probably broken down by the microbes in the hindgut and absorbed as VFAs...

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Hey, Rick, I didn't know you drive the Smart Pak wagon!
    . It's not. Its the Smart Ass wagon......lol! I haul the other stuff around behind it in a buckboard........

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Dang, I haven't had a colic in one of my horses for nearly 20 years--wonder what product I can credit for THAT?
    More than likely, Hay
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

A combination of ingredients:

Kelp and Irish Sea Moss, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium D, Peppermint Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, and Purified Water Molasses for flavor and Sorbitol for sweetness.

All of the ingredients separately are approved for human or animal consumption by the FDA and can do no harm. Performance horses test drug free.
    I am amused by the proclamation that this will do no harm. So pouring molasses into a horse that is IR is harmless?

It is amusing to read the product's claims - but I am afraid someone new to horses and not experienced in picking up NQR signs would think this was a good product to have on hand.

If this were given to my horse (20 ft small intestine went through a hole in the mesentery + gastric impaction = colic surgery, thankfully no resection) - in that type of situation, if the person was not experienced in horse care and administered this product (or anything, for that matter), the horse would be dead.

If this product had been administered during the next "big" colic, 4 years post op (this time he had a nephrosplenic entrapment) - please do tell how this majikal solution is supposed to flip the intestine back where it belongs?
    Last edited by tarynls; Feb. 20, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Hit "Post" too soon

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I'm really surprised! Considering how COTH tends to be big believers in "natural" homeopathic sort of stuff for everything from buckers to nervous-nellies, I expected at least afew supporters.

But what I can glean is that no one who has posted has actually TRIED the stuff, right?

Well, I guess I'll join the list; for $85 Banamine is cheaper. And since I've only had one serious colic in 16 yrs, I can spend that $85 on something better.

Ah, well...

Ah yes! But if you buy 3 you get an amazing discount, and a free unicorn.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

When I'm dealing with a colic, 95% of the time (probably more), I will give 2 tubes of gastrogard, a "tums"-like liquid antacid, water and electrolytes by nasogastric tube.

The goal is to reduce acid in the stomach (important in a "ulcer-colic", any time there is reduced gastric emptying, or when the horse is withheld food. The last 2 apply to most every colic.)

The electrolytes pull water in the gi tract to help with motility.

So, while I absolutely do not recommend the product just based on the website I believe it is using the same train of thought... Magnesium as an antacid and sea weed/kelp for salt content.

So pouring molasses into a horse that is IR is harmless?
    A couple of ounces? Yes. Harmless.

The problem with most of these products is not that the theory is bad, it's that the ingredients are too pitifully weak to do anything at all. Sort of like raspberry leaves--they do NOTHING in reality, but people insist there's magnesium in there that helps (maybe a milligram if you're lucky) or some hormonal trace that does something (no, there isn't) and they like the IDEA of using something natural.

Any self-respecting naturopath or user of herbal remedies would NEVER say things like "completely safe" because it just isn't so. Fortunately the pitiful amount of _______ in most remedies is as likely to do harm as it is to do good, but nobody wiht any sort of professional ethics would call ANY remedy "completely safe".
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Ah yes! But if you buy 3 you get an amazing discount, and a free unicorn.
    me first, me first! I wanna unicorn!! with a pink horn and rainbow mane, please!!