The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question from hunter rider about Jane Savoie Happy Horse course

I am a hunter rider , my horse is a 8 yo OTTB off the track a little over a year now and doing well. My question is to anyone who has the above course. Is this course directed to just dressage riders or will this help me with my riding and training of my hunter? It seems to me it will. Can anyone give me their opinion?
    Thank you

I believe you would find it helpful. Have you read any of her books or watched her videos on Youtube?
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thanks, I have watched some of her youtube videos, have not read her books. She is so thorough in her explanation of how to do things is what I like . In our lessons now we work on bending and shoulder in and haunches in to get him supple etc... but I would like a more detailed explanation of the proper ways to achieve these things, and I assume whether riding hunter or dressage it is basically the same commands?

I haven't ridden hunters in about 40 years and things have REALLY changed so I can't help you there but I would guess they are similar.

Why don't you get a copy of her Dressage 101....it's about $25 on Amazon...and see if you like that before you spring for the Happy Horse set. I really love mine but it is a substantial investment.
    And sign up for her mailing list, I really enjoy getting her newsletters.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Good idea, I will order the book and go from there. I took 20 years off from riding and back in it now since I have my ottb . Want to get back to where I was 20 years ago.

I'm a hunter rider, too. I haven't actually bought the Happy Horse course (too expensive for me), but I visit her website and have listened to some of her podcasts. Love her.

A few years ago I went to take lessons with an instructor who turned out some great equitation riders. She put an emphasis on dressage, and that became my favourite part of lessons. After we parted ways I sought out a biomechanics instructor who specialized in dressage.

I also have an OTTB (8) and the dressage work has benefitted him spectacularly. It keeps him engaged mentally and has helped physically. He's much more supple in his poll and jaw and more enganged through his back. It made a world of difference.

Tony, sent you a PM
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Good idea, I will order the book and go from there. I took 20 years off from riding and back in it now since I have my ottb . Want to get back to where I was 20 years ago.
    http://www.goodnessridge.com/2012/12...t-with-paypal/
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Just wanted to pop in here and say that Jane's Happy Horse absolutely revolutionized the way I ride and my understanding of how to communicate with my OTTB. Her books are a great place to start. I also recommend her Dressage Mentor website. There is a TON of info there and a really helpful community of members. You also have the opportunity to send in video of yourself for her to review and provide feedback on. SO worth the monthly fee!

Good luck!
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~Arabian proverb

http://www.janakellam.com

Thanks for all of responses and the great info

I second what horseloverjana said. What ever ones discipline is, esp after a long lay off from riding the HH course is so thorough and explains whats/whys/ and hows it will help.
    The Dressage Mentor site is a great resource for specific questions too.

2 members found this post helpful.