The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Compete in Finals of both Pony Medal and Maclay?

Just catching up on my COTH reading, and in the American Horses in Sport 2012 issue, p. 118, Victoria Colvin is in listed in the top 10 final standings in both the Pony Medal Final and the Maclay Final.

So, you can ride in the pony divisions and the big eq. finals? Huh. I thought crossover was limited to protect the younger riders.

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought it was too.

ETA: Honestly, I think it's in bad taste for her to be competing in the Pony Medal Final.

Have not kept up with the rules, but maybe you have to 'declare' which one you want to compete in?
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I don't think she rode in the pony medal (or pony finals at all) last year or 2011. Probably a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    I don't think she rode in the pony medal (or pony finals at all) last year or 2011. Probably a typo.
    I'm pretty sure she has not competed in the pony medal since she stopped showing ponies, which is at least a year ago, more likely two years.

That had to be a typo. She doesn't do the ponies anymore.

Victoria Walton was in the top 10 for Pony Medal Finals last year, I bet it was her name that was misprinted.

You are correct that Riders cannot enter both the Hunter Seat Medal Finals and the Pony Medal Finals in the same year. It is probably a typo about Tori. Do you have a link to the COTH article?

I am positive it was a typo. I am quite sure she wasn't competing at Pony Finals last year.

( I think I would have seen her groupies )

I'm almost positive that Maddy Darst competed in both the Maclay and Pony Medal Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    I'm almost positive that Maddy Darst competed in both the Maclay and Pony Medal Finals.
    She did the Pony Medal in 2011, but not the Medal or Maclay finals. In 2012 she did the Medal and Maclay but no pony medal; she did go to pony finals but I think she only competed on a large in the hunters.

My understanding is that you cannot do the pony medal and the USEF medal, you can however so the Pony Medal and the Maclay. I'm assuming its uncommon though and in quite bad taste.

Taylor Ann Adams won the Pony Medal Final, the THIS Finals, and the SE Maclay Regional in the same year a few years back. Although she did not get a ribbon in the Maclay Finals, I do believe many frowned upon it.
    Last edited by Piggiejump; Feb. 20, 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

Well, it does say on p. 118 of that issue: "Victoria Colvin, Hampstead, Md." was 7th in Maclay Championship and 9th in Pony Medal Finals.

Perhaps it's a big typo, as some of you have suggested??

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Well, it does say on p. 118 of that issue: "Victoria Colvin, Hampstead, Md." was 7th in Maclay Championship and 9th in Pony Medal Finals.

Perhaps it's a big typo, as some of you have suggested??
    Tori Colvin is from Florida (Loxahatchee I think?) and not MD, its definitely a mistake. Her trainer is based out of NJ and Betsee Parker, whose horses she rides, lives in Virginia so there is no connection.

Good eyes, BBers! It is a mistake; the Pony Medal results should have Victoria Walton in ninth, not Victoria Colvin.

Forgive us; there's a LOT of typing involved in that issue, and Colvin usually follows Victoria when we're writing!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Sorge View Post
    Good eyes, BBers! It is a mistake; the Pony Medal results should have Victoria Walton in ninth, not Victoria Colvin.

Forgive us; there's a LOT of typing involved in that issue, and Colvin usually follows Victoria when we're writing!
    It's like auto correct

3 members found this post helpful.