The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thankyou for sharing the ad and the good chuckle. I seriously dont mind mean roosters, but I have enough right now, or else I might be tempted. I do want a yokohama.

He'd still cook up ok...just low and slow. I put a Barred Rock roo in the freezer last summer who attacked my elderly boarder. She fended him off with fly spray...tough lady from Jersey. I don't suffer mean roosters. They die just as soon as I do a batch of chickens. I do a number of them throughout the year and just add in the troublemakers.

HILARIOUS! This is why I keep multiple roos in each pen. A friend of mine told me that when she was growing up her grandpa always kept at least 3 roos per pen because he said it kept them from turning on their humans. I was skeptical but tried it and sure enough it has worked... It even reformed the meany that was about to be stew. I have two pens now - one with 2 Silkie roos and the big pen has 4 or 5 large fowl roos at the moment. Everybody is well behaved and nobody fights... I've also found they don't crow nearly as much surprisingly enough. Only problem now is I feel guilty sending them to the stew pot. The meanies make it so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    He'd still cook up ok...just low and slow. I put a Barred Rock roo in the freezer last summer who attacked my elderly boarder. She fended him off with fly spray...tough lady from Jersey. I don't suffer mean roosters. They die just as soon as I do a batch of chickens. I do a number of them throughout the year and just add in the troublemakers.
    remind me not to get on your bad side!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I had one just like him and the same breed. Mine only didn't like my son and would run up to the driveway to attack him. This rooster put up a gallant fight a night a fox got in the chicken pen. It broke my heart when he and my hens got taken out in one night.

2 members found this post helpful.

Alagirl, when you have over 100 layers and roosters, you learn to not be too discriminating about culling. Life is too short and chicken feed is very expensive. You can pay as much for a bag of chicken feed as you can for horse feed.

I slaughtered about 12 Delaware roosters the other day...about 4.5 months old and cooked one up. He was delicious. I've offered a few up for sale to some of my buying club folks and hopefully historic chicken will catch on as a side item for us. That bird put modern broilers to shame for flavor...so seriously don't toss that mean rooster away as too stringy.

Cool article on cooking heritage or historic chickens:

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/co...agechicken.pdf

1 members found this post helpful.

NO thank you. We have a rooster condo going right now and chicken dinners planned in the next couple of weeks Thank you though DB for the useful information on our non-traditional birds!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You are welcome! I was very pleasantly surprised at how good that bird was that old I roasted him at 325F for 30 minutes a lb and it was falling off the bones and so good. Delawares were developed to be meat birds in the 1940's and are also good layers. They grow fast and are excellent for both meat and eggs. I got carcasses averaging about 3.5 lbs at 4.5 months and probably would have been bigger giving them another month and it would not have hurt their eatability.

I also love the Delaware's personalities which are very bold and friendly. I will try and develop my own strain to raise for meat like this. Unlike broilers, they are not hybrids and you can hatch your own. Keep the pullets for eggs and eat the boys. I kept my nicest biggest roosters and we'll see how this works out.

Alagirl, when you have over 100 layers and roosters, you learn to not be too discriminating about culling. Life is too short and chicken feed is very expensive. You can pay as much for a bag of chicken feed as you can for horse feed.

I slaughtered about 12 Delaware roosters the other day...about 4.5 months old and cooked one up. He was delicious. I've offered a few up for sale to some of my buying club folks and hopefully historic chicken will catch on as a side item for us. That bird put modern broilers to shame for flavor...so seriously don't toss that mean rooster away as too stringy.

Cool article on cooking heritage or historic chickens:

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/co...agechicken.pdf

LOL, you missed the

but I do agree....even when the numbers are smaller...no need to keep the meanies around.
    GNU Terry Prachett

No, Alagirl... I knew you were joking but I'm astonished at how many people will keep a POS rooster around because they are too wimpy to deal with him. Women used to know how to wring their necks, gut and clean them and serve them up for dinner. Now people try to give them away. Honestly, modern times are truly abnormal when you consider stuff like that.

No, Alagirl... I knew you were joking but I'm astonished at how many people will keep a POS rooster around because they are too wimpy to deal with him. Women used to know how to wring their necks, gut and clean them and serve them up for dinner. Now people try to give them away. Honestly, modern times are truly abnormal when you consider stuff like that.
    Oh, I do better than that, I sell my roosters (not the mean ones). One even took Grand Champion at a show, I was so proud!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Oh, I do better than that, I sell my roosters (not the mean ones). One even took Grand Champion at a show, I was so proud!
    What kind do you raise? Sounds like you aren't going to keep a mean roo around!

I paid my small animal vet $50 to put my mean rooster down... I know, stupid. I have a really really nice home grown one now..

I used to have the most lovely RIR rooster. He was about a million years old, probably 23" tall and weighed nearly as much as a bag of horse feed. Loved that old bastard, he hated my mom though, spurred her right in the tush every time she went out to feed him and his ladies!

What kind do you raise? Sounds like you aren't going to keep a mean roo around!
    I have a mixed flock of Welsummer, Silkie, EE and Golden Comet.

I do have a very evil Silkie boy, he's so cute though, he loves to glare! LOL!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    I paid my small animal vet $50 to put my mean rooster down... I know, stupid. I have a really really nice home grown one now..
    GNU Terry Prachett