The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sciatica- Would a chiropractor help?

So on Sunday I bent down to put my dog's collar on and my back popped and cracked a bunch of times and then I couldn't stand up! I went to the ER, they did x-rays and they were fine. I was told I had a lumbar strain and sciatica. It's excruciating if I do more than lay down in bed. I can walk but I still get muscle spasms doing that and sitting is not even an option. I am on a oxycodone and flexerall which makes it much better. And I am using a heating pad as well per doctor's orders. The meds are just masking the pain. I tried not taking them this morning and it was horrible.

So my question is, would going to a chiropractor be a good idea at this point? I am a barn manager so obviously my job is very active and physical. My boss is great and has been covering it but I feel so guilty, she has a day job.

I suffered with Sciatic pain for several months. After one visit to the chiro the pain was significantly reduced. After 3 visits it was gone.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Yes, definitely. As well, heat is generally contraindicated for an acute situation, so your ER doc did not do you well Ice is the way to go to reduce the inflammation. I know a fantastic chiro in NYC who lives in NJ; she might be able to recommend someone in your area. Karen Erickson, DC on West 79th St. I've known her forever, and until we moved, she was our chiro. She's the BEST.

Chiropractics would help, and let me also suggest accupuncture. That works REALLY well on nerve pain, which is what sciatica is.

Don't rule it out because you may be afraid of needles. You won't see them.

I've had long term chiropractic treatments (2x) and loved it. For the last 6 years I've used accupuncture exclusively and loved it more. The endorphine bliss during the 20 minutes the needles are in are just, well, BLISS. I never had that during chiro because I was always waiting for the next pressure/crack/twist.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

This happened to a friend of mine, and neither the MD's drugs nor the chiro helped. What DID help, cancelled the causative spasm right away, was an acupuncturist! First visit, he got about 80% relief; 2nd visit, pain & spasm were gone and have never returned. This was about 3 years ago, and BELIEVE ME this man, in the horse business, uses his back!

I wouldn't let a chiro do anything without having an x-ray or mri first. I will second the acupuncture. I have herniated disks in my back and routine acupuncture is my treatment of choice.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

1 members found this post helpful.

My husband suffered horribly from sciatica – his was the result of being asymmetrical – which was the result of a blow knee / knee surgery.

The regular DRs prescribed pills – which not only did not treat the cause, or really bring relief – they negatively impacted his quality of life.

He did find relief through a chiropractor and physical therapy. The chiropractor did not really do “adjustments” but rather received ultra sound treatments. The ultra sound waves are deep penetrating, and can help with circulation / tight muscles etc. Sciatica is caused by the entrapment of the sciatic nerve – which travels through the large buttocks muscles. For him, ultra sound helped relieve the tightness which was causing the nerve irritation.

He also did physical therapy – lots of stretching exercises and massage.

He had off and on sciatica for a number of years before going this route – and now it has not flared up in years. Prior to this chiropractor (who used ultra sound) he had tried the normal Dr route, massage, and even Chinese message / herbals.

i had a medical massage therapist treat me for sciatica and back pain and it helped immensely.

I used to get Sciatica pain quite regularly. A chiropractor helped but what got rid of it was Pilates to strengthen those muscles and make them flexible. I go to a weekly class and I haven't had back pain in two years. If I miss two or more weeks I get stiff but not painful. I used to not be able to bend down without pain and would get nerve pain shooting down my leg into my knee. Now that the muscles in my back and hips are stronger and more flexible I don't have a problem.
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

This only happened this weekend. Healing takes time, patience, and following the doctor's orders for more than a day or two. No, don't waste your money on the chiropractor. Just do what the real doctor told you to do and be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    This only happened this weekend. Healing takes time, patience, and following the doctor's orders for more than a day or two. No, don't waste your money on the chiropractor. Just do what the real doctor told you to do and be patient.
    Back pain, left alone, about 99% of the time goes away on its own in under 3 months. This has been shown in multiple meta-analyses of all available treatments. Whatever you do, don't get talked into surgery--that does not have a good record at all. Just be . . . patient!

If your local fitness club has an inversion table, give it a try. I have suffered from sciatica & have compressed nerves in the lumbar region from an oestochondroma. The inversion table is by far the best thing I've found to relieve pain.
    Last edited by 2BayPonies; Feb. 19, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

I suffered from crippling sciatica a few years ago. I was touch and go with it for ages until a few days after a fall off my horse I woke up in agony. I couldn't stay in one position for more than 15 minutes. I had to walk with a cane and while around the barn I used my wheelbarrow as a walker. I constantly had a heating pad on me and was taking so much ibuprofen I developed IBS. Oy I was a mess and a real miserable person to be around .

The only real relief I had was sitting in a chair with a towel folded up under *one* buttock so my hips were totally crooked, or lying on the ground doing runners stretches. A Draper blanket did bring me a little relief too.

I'm not one to go to doctors much at all, but I was in such chronic pain, one night I finally made up my mind to call a chiropractor the next day. As I laid in bed contorting and twisting trying to bury my knuckles down and get at the pain, I watched a late night TV commercial for an inversion table. I'd always wanted one anyhow, I used inversion boots in my childhood and loved them, so I bought one and decided to give it a try before calling a professional.

Within 3 days of using it I was feeling better, and 2 weeks after that it was like it never happened. I kept using the table for another month and then put it away.

A year later a friend was having the same problem almost as severe as what I went through, so I lent her my table to use. Same thing, two weeks and she felt great. One month and she never needed it again.

Just a few months ago another friend was suffering with the same issue. He couldn't walk hardly at all either. He showed up to my house with tears in his eyes he was in such pain. I sent him home with the table, and one month later he had full back pain relief. He is still using it.

I purchased a teeter table and I can honestly say its some of the best money I've ever spent.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I am wondering what the “real doctor” told her to do? My hubby’s doctors told him to take VERY powerful and addictive pain killers and muscle relaxers. He was told to take them 3 times a day – yet just one round of the pills would leave him in a stupor. Unable to work, drive, or function – the other option was to deal with immense pain.

Unfortunately, when it comes to back pain – regular (and alternative) doctors often do not have the answers. But in my experience, and of those I know, back pain is usually not cured by 10 min exams and pills (which is what many “regular” doctors prescribe as treatment).

I agree with the other poster – do not get talked into surgery before trying other methods.

Physical therapy (be it yoga, inversion table etc) has had the best results in my experience.

I have sciatica that can drive me batty. I do yoga, even some restorative hip stretches to reduce some pain. I have also had significant improvement with acupuncture.

My mom is a massage therapist and one of her very good friends is an acupuncturist, both have had great success working on people with sciatica.

If it were me and something like this came on all of a sudden without previous problems and it didn't resolve quickly I'd might want more then an x-ray.

One day I had lower back pain come on all at once with pain shooting down my legs and really not able to move much. Went to the ER had an x-ray done which showed nothing and was sent home with a bunch of pain pills and to see an ortho if it didn't improve. Pain pills were doing nothing for it went to the ortho a few days later who thankfully ordered and MRI and shockingly I had a protruding disc in my lower back. I has taken years to figure out what works for me to manage the issue and keep my back healthy.

For me it has an involved an excellent chiro who also does accupuncture and physical therapy. I also get deep tissue massages. The biggest problem is finding a good chiro who won't nickel and dime you. Once you are past the initial pain issue you should not need multiple visits a week.

If the pain persists I'd ask for an MRI to rule out further issues causing the pain.

I did not help me at all and it sure lightened my wallet.
    Sciatica disappeared on its own, many months after I stopped making the chiro richer.
    I do not believe in chiropractic treatment anyway and it confirmed it.

Mine comes and goes. Had it about a month the first time and have it again now, about a year later, and it's been a couple months. I'm interested in the inversion table, maybe I ought to invest... I have issued with needles AND people touching me, been shying away from chiro and acupuncture for awhile.
    Quarry Rat

I would agree with the acupuncture---I have had great luck with it with other issues. I think they hesitate to treat acute injuries with acupuncture, however.