The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Although we don't have definitive answers, to say there are no scientific studies is not correct.

The Horse-Journal has some wonderful articles on supplements and they don't take money from advertisers. Well worth reading.

Personally, after my own research, I put my horse on the Smartpak Ultra Combo.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have two OTTB's that I have on Jeffers Motion Potion crumbles - chondroiton, MSM & HA. I bought the big bucket at 1/3 the cost for an equivalent substance I bought at the local feed store, plus free shipping. So far, so good.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My 18-year-old guy is on Vetri-HA, which is a pelleted 100mg oral HA. He also gets polyglycan injections monthly and hock injections yearly. Re-evaluate maintenance and his work load as needed in discussion with vet. I have found that for him, feeding an oral HA supplement has extended the time frame between polyglycan injections. I started the IV injections at around the same time hock injections were recommended as he was developing hock arthritis. I had had him on a different oral supplement before that with 40mg HA, and stopped it. I felt a significant difference pre-IV injections and post, to the tune of half a foot of stride length, a lot more "liftoff" behind, and a more comfortable/effortless lead change. After about 2 weeks those effects would degrade. I put him on a 100mg HA supplement and he maintained the effects of the IV for 4 weeks.

The other 100mg HA supplement I tried and liked for him was Corta-Flx HA solution. Unfortunately it is only in liquid form and it is a bit of a PITA to dose. The farm where I kept him was consistently dosing it incorrectly, so I switched to the Vetri pellet. I keep meaning to look around for another 100mg HA that also has glucos/chon/MSM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG