The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I would be all over this.

Ahhh, this reminds me of my teenager time.... It wasn't a happy time in general, but the memory of scuba diving is very dear, you know, surrounded by hundreds of tropical fish circling around you, in midst of endless gorgeous coral reef. They seemed so close, but I never was able to catch one. sigh. I remember one time I swam around one mount of coral reef, and got face to face with this big, fat, ugly eel - I mean, it was a really fat one... Its nose was probably three feet before mine. We stared at each other; froze; and then, high tailed the other way. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Ahhh, this reminds me of my teenager time.... It wasn't a happy time in general, but the memory of scuba diving is very dear, you know, surrounded by hundreds of tropical fish circling around you, in midst of endless gorgeous coral reef. They seemed so close, but I never was able to catch one. sigh. I remember one time I swam around one mount of coral reef, and got face to face with this big, fat, ugly eel - I mean, it was a really fat one... Its nose was probably three feet before mine. We stared at each other; froze; and then, high tailed the other way. lol
    That whole experience as described at the Discovery Cove website sounds like the next best thing to heaven to me--I mean I'd rather do all of those things "in the wild," sure, but to me being able to snorkel a "reef" and swim with a dolphin and interact with otters (!) and do all that other stuff all in one day -- well, like I said, if I had the opportunity, none of my other options would matter. Of course, I LOVE to swim anyway.

I understand the Grand Reef (?) water is really cold?

I'd still go.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

The salt water Dolphin Lagoon, according to the website, is around 72 F (22 C), and The Grand Reef 77 F (25 C), which are cooler than normal swimming pool temperatures. It is cool but I prefer it that way. Swimming generates a lot of heat.

If you want to see manatees, go to:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/

It's an easy walk to see the springs where the manatees hang out, a nice short hike around the springs too.

If you'd like to try some place really different than Orlando, take a short trip to New Smyrna Beach and just hang out there. Go to Breakers and have a hamburger (damn I wish I were there!) and soak up the surfer culture and just laid back fun. Go a little south of NSB on 44A to the Canaveral National Seashore and take a beautiful drive around there, hike on the seashore, go to the Indian mound. Very low key but beautiful. Good bike ride too - about 6 miles from the entrance to the park to the tip of the spit so you can make at least a 12 mile round trip, farther if you ride into town.

Sure did enjoy our time there and sure do miss it now, especially with the wind howling and temps under 20 here!
    Last edited by oldernewbie; Feb. 19, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: mixed up directions! That would be bad!

Winter Park is charming and known for their shopping and eating along Park Avenue.
    For gator encounters, check out Black Hammock Fish Camp on Lake Jesup in Oviedo...over 15,000 gators in the lake.
    Mt Dora is a charming town to check out, as is Winter Garden.
    You can see manatees at Blue Springs in Orange City, provided it is cold, and then go either a bit north to Deland, or go to Highbanks Marina, south in Debary, and sit out on the St. John's river and watch the wildlife. I think you can rent a boat there.
    Drive to Ocala and visit the farms and tack stores.
    And of course, depending on what you want to see, there is a horse show going on somewhere!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Should I rent a car? The last time I was in Orlando, a car wasn't needed, since we spent all the time at the various theme parks...

Ocala and farms and tack stores... Umm actually I think my dressage instructor is in Ocala this winter - I need to ask her whether she will still be there. She keeps talking about how nice the farm is.

I would rent a car, especially if you want to do more than theme parks. Orlando is HUGE and very spread out, and you probably DO want to at least go to the beach once (and I'll meet you there and show you around!)

Thank you, thank you, thank you thamoody, for the offer!!!

Though, please, I don't want you to feel pressured!!!

Airboat rides in the St Johns (Head East from the Airport),

You could see if they have anything going at the Fla State Fair www.FloridaStateFair.com

You could also look here:
    http://www.visitorlando.com/events/?...rtBy=eventDate

Or here:
    http://eventful.com/winterpark/venue...01-000721799-0

4/19-21/2013 FQHA Spring Blast Circuit, Fox Lea Farm, Venice, FL - 5 shows, double pointed for FQHA points

Horse Shows in April (scroll down to Aoril) here:
    http://floridahorseshows.org/

In Brevard (45 mins from Orlando) we have a zoo where (with zip lines in the trees):
    http://www.brevardzoo.org/calendar
    Sandy in Fla.