The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do in Orlando, FL - need suggestion, outdoor adventure types...

As it turns out, my husband is going to Orlando between April 21 and 24 for a conference, and I'm going with him. The plan is he will go to sit at the boring conference while I go out to play hehehe Yeah, he is not too pleased with that particular plan but I told him I was not going to sit in the hotel pining for him.

So, COTHers, what are your suggestions?

I know the common destinations - Disney World, Universal Studio, air boating in swamps among alligators (really run), etc. The thing is, I've been there, and am more interested in things I've not done before. Maybe I will visit Epcot again... definitely not Magic Kingdom.

Some Manatee tour seems interesting. One concern: I get bored rather quickly with snorkeling, and I hate floating on top of the water for hours watching the wonderful world of sea gone by. Anyone who did it? What is your thought? Worth it?

Another thought is, scuba diving. I used to scuba dive when I was a teenager extensively, mostly up to 100 meters. I was used to strong currents, with or without fins. Of course the problem with this plan is, well, Orlando is not exactly next to a coast.... So I'm not sure whether it will work logistically...

Or, maybe a good place to ride?

What say you?

Go to Kennedy Space Center. On the coast at Cape Canaveral. Take the tour to see the Saturn 5 rocket. And the adjacent wildlife refuge is also interesting - complete with manatees.

It is less than an hour's easy drive from Orlando.

Take a surfing lesson at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon. Sounds lame, in practice it was AWESOME.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    Go to Kennedy Space Center. On the coast at Cape Canaveral. Take the tour to see the Saturn 5 rocket. And the adjacent wildlife refuge is also interesting - complete with manatees.

It is less than an hour's easy drive from Orlando.
    How big is the wildlife refuge? Is it more like a all day tour or something like two hours?

I second the surfing lesson. The waves over on the coast may not be cooperative, but Typhoon Lagoon ALWAYS has waves! And the space center is pretty cool, plus they have a really nice nature hike/bird viewing area.

What other stuff do you like to do? Shopping, restaurants? I can suggest some more open-air stuff, but when I'm over in Orlando I'm all about the culture (kind of lacking in Brevard - my daughter and I are seeing Lindsey Stirling tomorrow night!). I think Wicked may be in town right about then, too. We have a great off-broadway and Shakespeare festival North of the attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Take a surfing lesson at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon. Sounds lame, in practice it was AWESOME.
    Surfing lesson? Disney Typhoon Lagoon? That actually sounds rather fun. I didn't know they did that. Maybe I can learn how to fall gracefully, lol.

The WLR is HUGE! Tosohatchee WMA is also between Orlando and Brevard if you like to hike, and it's one of the most beautiful areas in Florida (MUCH prettier than the space center), with well-maintained but very primitive trails. It's right off 520 so on your way to the space center. Tosohatchee is a bit smaller than Merritt Island WLR (28,000 acres) but it's more accessible and a really interesting place for Florida history.

A bit of trivia about Tosohatchee for those who live in the area. My ex-husband's family used to own it (the beehead cattle company) and we used to run our cattle in there. When the state bought the land, we had to get ALL of them out of there. It was horrible - 10 hour days during the summer, and there are STILL a lot of them in there - you will encounter feral cattle that are still part of the old Yates/Canada/Tanner herds in there .

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    I second the surfing lesson. The waves over on the coast may not be cooperative, but Typhoon Lagoon ALWAYS has waves! And the space center is pretty cool, plus they have a really nice nature hike/bird viewing area.

What other stuff do you like to do? Shopping, restaurants? I can suggest some more open-air stuff, but when I'm over in Orlando I'm all about the culture (kind of lacking in Brevard - my daughter and I are seeing Lindsey Stirling tomorrow night!). I think Wicked may be in town right about then, too. We have a great off-broadway and Shakespeare festival North of the attractions.
    I assume you can rent the board for lesson right? I've never surfed before.

Generally I like outdoor air. But shopping and restaurants, oh of course I love them too lol - cultural, local cuisine, stuff like that, though not the malls, high fashion, stuff. Oh I saw Wicked - really, really cool, and interesting twist, the bad witch is good witch is quite refreshing. Suggestion? How's Cirque du Soleil?

Cirque is WAY overpriced . And yes, they provide a board with the lesson. If the waves and weather are good, I'd recommend driving to the coast (just a skip over to the pier) and taking a lesson from my friend Randy at Longboard house - a REAL surfing experience (plus eye candy - he's a real gentleman, but it doesn't HURT that he's really good looking as well as sweet). And yes, he WILL teach you how to fall. I'd offer, but am not really good at lessons plus I don't have the soft boards . I'll give you his number, though.

There are a TON of nice smaller restaurants up in Winter Garden - it's my favorite area to visit. I like the White Wolf Cafe, but Orlando has so many good restaurants that I could go there every week for YEARS and never hit all of them!

If you want to do something quick and something many do not get to do, go to sky venture. Its an indoor wind tunnel and its simulates a skydive! Its is totally fun!! Takes about an hour from start to finish.

Oh thatmoody, thank you!!! Please do give me Randy's contact. Never turn down a good eye candy, lol. Talk about candy, I can't honestly say it wasn't partly the very nice eye candy that compelled my friends and I go back year after year to the same white water rafting guide of the same white water rafting company in Colorado,- apart from they run a really fun tour, of course, like jumping off a rock into the river... Just don't tell my husband.. shhh

I second Surfing lesson.
    I lived in Orlando for a year and I hated it... but I'll admit there was a lot to do. Universal is really fun. I also did the 'Trainer for a day' at Gatorland and it was one of the most fun things I've ever done. I got to hold a 13 foot snake, scorpions and other lizards, fed 600 pound tortoises and Gators, and I also got to sit on a live alligator. I also got to see an Eastern Diamondback give birth! (some snakes give live birth instead of laying eggs.)
    They have a zip line which is cool too.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Typhoon Lagoon gives you a board, etc. And our instructor was very good looking

STB husband had an awesome time and still won't shut up about it. What's nice about it for learning is that you have a choice of waves (smaller or larger) and they're consistent, so you can really learn well.

Sound like surfing has just jumped to the very top of my list! Maybe try it out at Typhoon Lagoon, and then venture out to sea if I'm not too shabby? Do you need to make reservations, or just show up? Is it like private lesson or group lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Sound like surfing has just jumped to the very top of my list! Maybe try it out at Typhoon Lagoon, and then venture out to sea if I'm not too shabby? Do you need to make reservations, or just show up? Is it like private lesson or group lessons?
    You'll need to make a reservation, and be prepared to get up early in the morning-- it is a very small group, I think ours is 8. Private lessons are available but there's really no reason to have one, you surf in pairs and each of you gets an instructor for each wave.

I would be all over this.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Titanic museum!

Yes, I would do Typhoon Lagoon first, because in April you are likely to either have NO waves, or really BIG waves in the real ocean . And they definitely have eye candy for both men AND women . Surfers in general tend to be really good looking (present company excepted) so you really can't lose with that.

And I always forget about Gatorland because I've had ENOUGH of dealing with real-life gators (ex-DH was a gator and hog trapper out at the space center) but yes, that's really fun, too! If you want to learn about Florida wildlife it's an excellent place to go. Brevard has a really good zoo, too, with a GOOD zipline and a kayak tour - I always forget about that one.

One of the problems with our area is there is too MUCH to do here!

Default Wow Orlando, so much to do.

Did you want a horse related activity?
    Matt McLaughlin is in Orlando, well Kissimmimee (sp?) and you could do day of learning to long line ride etc!

But there is so much to do in Orlando.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

That would be cool, too . We are doing a clinic with Michelle Gerlach the prior weekend - that would be WAY fun if you could come! Or you could set something up with Ken Najorka and do a reining lesson and totally switch disciplines .