The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cool Bridle Hooks for tack room

Looking for some good suggestions for bridle hooks for a tack room in my being constructed barn.

The barn is turning out fabulous. It is a bigger barn (18 stalls) and will house mostly event horses. So think....LOTS of tack. We will have 30 saddle racks in the tack room that my builder is making (yeah, I know it is a lot but you know eventers--we have a lot of saddles)...and will need a lot of hooks. The walls are wood with a nice stain and a lot of fixtures are black metal...saddle racks are made out of wood.

I found a really cool tack cleaning hook that I ordered and now would love to fine cool bridle hooks that will go with it. But I'm also realistic on cost. Anyway....I'm not having a ton of luck with online searches and hoping COTH has some great secrets they are willing to share

Here is the tack cleaning hook I got....I think it is really cool and if we have any wall space (not sure we will)...I'd love to get one of this guys sculptures too! http://www.tackhook.com/

(would really like to win the lottery!!!!)
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

I just bought this for hanging bridles, though I haven't hung it yet. I think its pretty charming looking and hopefully functional. The hooks swivel side to side. Its not as big as the photo might lead one to think, but it is *just* large enough for a halter and lead rope or bridle on each hook. I don't know about padded crowns though, etc., that might be too bulky.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I have this in my horse trailer which is also my tack room. It is portable but can also be mounted to a wall. It's heavy duty and because it rotates it takes up less space for all my bridles. plus having the arched crown support is a huge lifesaver!! If you can wait they usually run them on sale in spring and around Christmas.

for bridle racks, I saw an awesome idea once where you use a round piece of wood (think chopping a jumping pole into many round pieces about 2" wide) and screw it to the wall - it can be stained or painted any color and looks classy when it matches your decor. You can also do the same thing with a landscape timber.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    for bridle racks, I saw an awesome idea once where you use a round piece of wood (think chopping a jumping pole into many round pieces about 2" wide) and screw it to the wall - it can be stained or painted any color and looks classy when it matches your decor. You can also do the same thing with a landscape timber.

I've been at a few farms that did this. Works ok and does look nice. I just have a lot of wood already in the tack room so was looking for something metal. Really love the tack cleaning hook and it is just killing me that I can't seem to find anything similar. I could end up with just the basic metal bridle brackets but was hoping to find something more unique.....of course not sure I want to pay for unique
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Buck, I have a couple of those hooks, and they are NICE for the house. I often use them for drying mittens and hats, works well. I took mine apart and spray painted it black matte, so it goes with other iron accessories we have in place. I like the graceful curves and swoops of the cast-iron things like this.

One of these kind of hooks is mounted over the laundry tub, great for drip-dry things to hang over while drying. Something on a hanger hung from a hook, works well also.

I am surpised at how much use I have made of this lovely hook set in my house.

^ that fountain hook is a great idea. I may need that.

--

I've seen people hang bridles from pretty drawer-pulls, although a very thick-crowned bridle might not fit a daintier drawer-pull.

Another fun idea was to put a concho on the end of a very plain, simple wood wall peg (made of dowel.) Tandy has all sorts of pretty conchos, and they are very simple to screw into the end of a piece of dowel. Using longer wall pegs can be useful if you have a lot of things to store. You could achieve a metal look using wooden pegs
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I've always wanted to start an antique doorknob collection: the really varied ones, the glass, the pressed / embossed tin/brass/ the wood combined, and use them in the barn as a rack or also in various places for halter hooks, etc...
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I bought one of those when they first started making them for a barn warming gift.
    They were not as expensive then.
    My friend like it so well, she hung it on her house porch for plants.

Check out Kenneth Rowe's things. He did some amazing hooks for me. www.tackhook.com

? ok , did I miss something or is that the same guy?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Woops! I missed that part of the thread I saw the links to the Decorator's Warehouse. Sorry about that!

Best idea I saw was old shoes cleaned up, branches spread and bent at a 90° angle at the toe, hit with black Rustoleum, then nailed or screwed to the wall. They can also be welded to a bar for a set of mobile hooks for the trailer.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    The barn is turning out fabulous. It is a bigger barn (18 stalls) and will house mostly event horses. So think....LOTS of tack. We will have 30 saddle racks in the tack room that my builder is making (yeah, I know it is a lot but you know eventers--we have a lot of saddles)...and will need a lot of hooks. The walls are wood with a nice stain and a lot of fixtures are black metal...saddle racks are made out of wood.

I found a really cool tack cleaning hook that I ordered and now would love to fine cool bridle hooks that will go with it. But I'm also realistic on cost. Anyway....I'm not having a ton of luck with online searches and hoping COTH has some great secrets they are willing to share
    Actually, he did some small / inexpensive bridle (wall hooks) for me, as well as what he calls harness hooks ... that are really halter hooks You might shoot him an email; he's been super easy for me to deal with, and willing to work on pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Actually, he did some small / inexpensive bridle (wall hooks) for me, as well as what he calls harness hooks ... that are really halter hooks You might shoot him an email; he's been super easy for me to deal with, and willing to work on pricing.

Thanks! I may just do that...just need find contact information for him. Lots of great ideas...thanks everyone!

Contact Kenneth D Rowe @ Collection Privee (786- 371- 7600). He lives in Fort Meyers, Florida. He is on Facebook.

http://www.comfortmarket.com/vw095.h...FdGd4AodTEwAwQ

I found all these by googling "wrought iron hooks" and looking at the google shopping results.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I just ordered a couple of these from Lucas for my wash rack. I like the extra little recessed hook.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I just have this: http://www.doversaddlery.com/five-br...FULf4AodlnMANw

You could always do something like this for the bulk of the bridle storage, but put some very fancy hooks between them for added interest, and also put some below to hold the reins and/or martingales. I don't have hooks for the reins below, but am thinking about adding them.

I prefer the rounded bridle brackets becuase the help keep the crown peice in shape.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/