The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

While he may be offered a much higher salary, it's because the tax base is so high. When my parents left the Island in 1995, on a 75 X 100' lot they were paying $17,000 in property tax alone. Sales tax is through the roof too.

You've got some serious number crunching to do.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yep, SERIOUS number crunching! Also remember that to get off the island you have to either take the ferry (as previously discussed) or go Cross Bronx or one of the sets of bridges. . . it's a nightmare! And now a lot of the island is still in total disarray from the storm. My sister said parts of it look like a bombed out section of London during the blitz.

Oh, and it's not free to take the bridges
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Yep, SERIOUS number crunching! Also remember that to get off the island you have to either take the ferry (as previously discussed) or go Cross Bronx or one of the sets of bridges. . . it's a nightmare! And now a lot of the island is still in total disarray from the storm. My sister said parts of it look like a bombed out section of London during the blitz.

Oh, and it's not free to take the bridges
    Well, so far, the 59th St bridge still is free <fingers crossed>, but that only gets you into Manhattan lol
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

I live in Smithtown and if you need any advise, I sure can help guide you who/what to avoid! I just bought my house almost 2 years ago and brought my boys home. Best move ever as I hated boarding!!!!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Before I brought my horse to college I kept him at a great backyard barn in Manorville. They were outside 24/7 unless the weather got really bad, in which case they each had a stall to wait out storms. Great care, big riding ring, tons of trails right off of the ring and across the (quiet) street. Paddocks aren't huge fields, but they do the job. If you're interested feel free to PM me and I can get you contact info

Banshee, if you look around you will find "half day" turnout (abt 3 hours), "all day" turnout (about 6 hours), and some places will do night turnout or pasture board. The longer turnout is not common and most places are dry lots, but there are exceptions, especially backyard barns and in Suffolk towards Manorville, etc.

Yeah, folks are right, the turnout is not great and will not be what you're used to. But it's not all horrible, either. I've been to places where turnout is an hour if you're lucky. It's not quite that bad!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Banshee - I live on the North Fork (on the East End of Long Island) and board at BJ Farm in Jamesport. It is a lovely spot with huge grass turnouts and, at the moment, a waiting list. I would suggest, if considering a move to L.I., that you look into eastern Suffolk County (Riverhead east to Orient Point) and see if that area would suit your needs.

If you are now living in Texas, LI will be quite the culture shock, and not in a good way. I live about an hour north of NYC and LI is like another world. Traffic, crowds, congestion and just about any other inconvenience you could think of. Turnout is not a priority at many barns and you might be better to consider a retirement barn in Putnam or Dutchess country for your horse. It would be a drive from LI but your horse would be able to see the light of day for more than a few hours. There are some very nice places that take good care of the horses. I don't think you will enjoy living on LI after being in TX. Not to mention the attitudes of NY people (especially LI) vs. Texas people. Not quite the same..

Quote Originally Posted by nypony View Post
    Banshee - I live on the North Fork (on the East End of Long Island) and board at BJ Farm in Jamesport. It is a lovely spot with huge grass turnouts and, at the moment, a waiting list. I would suggest, if considering a move to L.I., that you look into eastern Suffolk County (Riverhead east to Orient Point) and see if that area would suit your needs.
    Hey nypony, say hi to Robin for me (BJ farm is another world, it's gorgeous!)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I don't know how far east the OP will be willing to travel but Connetquot Park is also a beautiful place to ride and there a number of backyard situations bordering the park that may work. You can check www.liequine.com for listings.
    Eventer55 - I'll let Robin know you say "hi"!

Quote Originally Posted by nypony View Post
    I don't know how far east the OP will be willing to travel but Connetquot Park is also a beautiful place to ride and there a number of backyard situations bordering the park that may work. You can check www.liequine.com for listings.
    Eventer55 - I'll let Robin know you say "hi"!
    Bj's is great. I kept young horses there for years.

But as far as checking LIequine for leads? You were kidding right?
    All they post there is real estate adverts.

Try contacting Nassau Suffolk Horse Owners or Islip Horsemen's. They should be able to help.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Actually, I am serious about liequine.com. If you click on "services & classifieds" and then scroll down to "training/lessons/boarding" there are about 16 different listings for board - both private settings & barns - OP may find a situation that works for her horse. Just avoid the site's message board!