The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am SO DONE with winter!

Just a rant. This winter has been horrible! Just as an example, yesterday it was nearly 50 degrees and then it POURED rain for several hours, basically flooding everything. This morning it was 15 degrees, so now all of that water is frozen. The paddocks where I board are frozen lakes - quite literally.

The BO is awesome and does a great job managing ice, etc. (our horses have been out more than others in this area all winter - thank goodness for that!), but at some point there is only so much you can do.

This rain, followed by deep freeze thing has been going on all damn winter, and I'm just sick of it!

The horses are all nuts, the people are all crabby. I feel like I need to light incense and say some kind of prayer before getting on my horse each day...the slightest thing can set him off in winter. I spend ridiculous amounts of time managing him, rearrange my schedule to work him at quiet times, and so on. I'm exhausted. I thought about giving him the winter off, but I can't do that because he can't move around much in turnout due to the ground conditions even when they are out and he gets stiff and tight and dangerously crabby if he isn't doing enough.

A horse at a nearby barn recently broke its leg running like a nut in the indoor because that barn has not turned out practically all winter.

Just ENOUGH ALREADY!

On the bright side, this winter is actually better than last winter because I finally have my horse in a place that values turnout and will do what they can to get the horses out safely. So, this winter, he isn't losing his mind bucking and rearing and falling down in his stall (fingers crossed!) like he was last winter. But still, I've just HAD ENOUGH OF THIS!

Ugh.

I am with you. If it isn't blowing 30mph and too cold to ride, it is wet and rainy. I have the day off (by virtue of a scheduling conflict) and I was soooo excited because it was almost 50 and sunny........but before I could get my chores done and to the round pen it had clouded up and the wind shifted. It is supposed to rain the rest of the day.

We are lucky here ice really isn't a problem; it is just always windy and wet here this winter. We are all crabby!

Sounds exactly like my feelings this morning.

Given the fact, I'm in S Wisconsin, I have a feeling we aren't that far from each other, hah!

I wanted to go out this morning, but I have a hard time navigating and dealing with the ice and my horses are out 24/7 right now. At least I know I have a great BM who keeps a close eye on my girls (and they live with her horses in their own pasture, so an even closer eye).

But I'm ready for spring right about now. The michelin man look is way overrated.

Yes, starrunner, I'm in SE Wisconsin. I finally reached my Honey Badger Limit this morning!

New England's been pretty bad recently, too. Snow is fine, but snow plus super-cold plus wind? No thank you! And then throw in freeze-thaw, sometimes with rain, so there's ice everywhere and the snow is waterlogged and gross to ride in...

This is how my mare felt about it on Sunday when it was lightly snowing, 20 degrees, 25+ MPH winds. She normally loves being outside...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    New England's been pretty bad recently, too. Snow is fine, but snow plus super-cold plus wind? No thank you! And then throw in freeze-thaw, sometimes with rain, so there's ice everywhere and the snow is waterlogged and gross to ride in...

This is how my mare felt about it on Sunday when it was lightly snowing, 20 degrees, 25+ MPH winds. She normally loves being outside...
    Yep. That's how all of the horses in WI feel right now. Mine particularly hates wind.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post

Quietann, your horse is a lovely color!

I share the sentiment about this winter. I hate snow, hate cold, hate wind, hate ice, hate mud, hate frozen mud covered with ice and snow.

Spring better hurry up! No, better than Spring.....Summer.

I also agree!!!! My boy has had off since early December. It started as a slight injury but with the weather I have yet to ride him again!! It is just too damn cold! This is also the first time I have boarded the boys without an indoor. I hope it is just the fact that I have to ride in the direct weather that I have no desire to ride!!!! They are turned out every day though.

It seems to have been really cold and foggy/smoggy and miserable for months here. We had far too much wet, heavy snow down in the valley, which doesn't want to melt off our outdoor, at the barn I board one of my horses at, and we've had too little snow at home in the mountains where my retirees live, so they are dealing with icy, lumpy pastures.

And I've been sick as a dog for weeks. Which just tops it off.

Sun's shining at the moment. It would be nice if it would last until I get to the barn later, but there is a cold wind, and snow forecast for this evening.

Blah... I want drinks with umbrellas served poolside by bronzed cabana boys right now.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am SO WITH YOU!!! I'm so tired of winter!!!

we've had SO MUCH rain, mud, snow, ice here this winter - disgusting, SO TIRED of mud and so much nastiness!!!!! YUCK!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    I am SO WITH YOU!!! I'm so tired of winter!!!

we've had SO MUCH rain, mud, snow, ice here this winter - disgusting, SO TIRED of mud and so much nastiness!!!!! YUCK!!!!!!
    I would actually prefer mud at this point over our slick frozen paddock-lakes that are not even useable.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I would actually prefer mud at this point over our slick frozen paddock-lakes that are not even useable.
    yea i can believe that. It really sucks (literally) when you have to shovel the manure/mud mix out of the paddocks by hand since it's too muddy to get equipment in there. Usually twice weekly we clean all the paddocks out by hand....park the tractor outside the fence if the ground isn't too soggy to back it out, pitch thousands of pounds out. nasty. backbreaking work.

Rained again all day today! grrrr!

most of the day here today, too.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Just a rant. This winter has been horrible! Just as an example, yesterday it was nearly 50 degrees and then it POURED rain for several hours, basically flooding everything. This morning it was 15 degrees, so now all of that water is frozen. The paddocks where I board are frozen lakes - quite literally.

The BO is awesome and does a great job managing ice, etc. (our horses have been out more than others in this area all winter - thank goodness for that!), but at some point there is only so much you can do.

This rain, followed by deep freeze thing has been going on all damn winter, and I'm just sick of it!

The horses are all nuts, the people are all crabby. I feel like I need to light incense and say some kind of prayer before getting on my horse each day...the slightest thing can set him off in winter. I spend ridiculous amounts of time managing him, rearrange my schedule to work him at quiet times, and so on. I'm exhausted. I thought about giving him the winter off, but I can't do that because he can't move around much in turnout due to the ground conditions even when they are out and he gets stiff and tight and dangerously crabby if he isn't doing enough.

A horse at a nearby barn recently broke its leg running like a nut in the indoor because that barn has not turned out practically all winter.

Just ENOUGH ALREADY!

On the bright side, this winter is actually better than last winter because I finally have my horse in a place that values turnout and will do what they can to get the horses out safely. So, this winter, he isn't losing his mind bucking and rearing and falling down in his stall (fingers crossed!) like he was last winter. But still, I've just HAD ENOUGH OF THIS!

Ugh.
    I would like to just gently remind you that I sent you the perfect Life Plan this time last year... Come on down to civilization; we have decent weather!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

It has me so grouchy that I am considering taking my show on the road and going to florida jan-march..or maybe dec-march. This cold wind is making me and my horses very grouchy!!!!

Me too! I lost my pony in December, got a new pony in January, but have ridden her a total of about 3 times. No indoor, outdoor is a mess. We were shooting for a competition on April 7th, but now that's like just over a month away and I've only ridden this pony 3 times! I just want winter to be over so I can get to work! Weather report says we're getting another 12 inches of snow this weekend. I just want to tear my hair out!!!!! Make it stop!

We are having a snowstorm here....again.

The snow was gone and the temp was going up for the last few weeks...it was promising.

Now, we're back to square one. At least it is not freezing cold.

And my mare is sick/injured

Can't wait for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I would like to just gently remind you that I sent you the perfect Life Plan this time last year... Come on down to civilization; we have decent weather!!
    LOL, that's true. You did, in fact, send me a very detailed and compelling Life Plan last year.

And.... there's another snowstorm coming this weekend.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine