The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question TAKE POSESSION OF A HORSE

My partner sold a horse to a man who keeps the horse in the same stables. He has had the horse 4 mo's or so and keeps running out of feed and hay. I have spent over $100 on feed and hay for the horse and he keeps putting me off about paying me. As far as I know, he is up to date on his stable rent. He supposedly pays the barn owner to feed for him but the owner will not buy feed or hay when he runs out. I'm always the one buying feed and hay. I have told the new owner that when the price I spend gets to $500, I am taking posession of the horse. Can I legally take possession since I pay to feed him but am not the owner of the stable? This is in Louisiana.

Every state has different laws addressing such situations.
    You may ought to ask a local attorney what is legal for you to do there.

It may be as easy as going to the sheriff's office and writing up a claim for non-payment, as it would be here.

Don't wait any longer, because such situations some times may take long themselves to remedy, be proactive and get legal help right now.

Why are you buying the feed and hay? Do you have a contractual agreement to buy the feed and be reimbursed for it? If this is a self-care barn, what it the BO's policy on boarded horses not getting proper care? I think it is highly unlikely you can take possession of the horse, any more that you can take possession of any other asset. If there is no written agreement, you may even have a hard time going after him to be reimbursed for the feed in small claims. If you do have an agreement, what does it say?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    Why are you buying the feed and hay? Do you have a contractual agreement to buy the feed and be reimbursed for it? If this is a self-care barn, what it the BO's policy on boarded horses not getting proper care? I think it is highly unlikely you can take possession of the horse, any more that you can take possession of any other asset. If there is no written agreement, you may even have a hard time going after him to be reimbursed for the feed in small claims. If you do have an agreement, what does it say?
    I think the OP stated the horse had not been paid for yet, is putting him off on getting paid?

The post is unclear...says the partner sold the horse but OP is buying hay/feed that is unpaid for. Maybe the OP can clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think the OP stated the horse had not been paid for yet, is putting him off on getting paid?
    I have spent over $100 on feed and hay for the horse and he keeps putting me off about paying me.
    I read it as "he keeps putting off paying me for the feed" Which brings us back to the question, Why are you buying it? Horse is sold = Not your horse = not your feed bill

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I read it as "he keeps putting off paying me for the feed" Which brings us back to the question, Why are you buying it? Horse is sold = Not your horse = not your feed bill
    Definitively so.
    Why feed someone's horse without previous agreement to do so and then demand you be paid or given the horse?

No, you can not take possession regardless of how much money you spend on the horse. You can however report him to animal control.

OP is paying for feed because she can't stand letting a horse she knows starve. BO should be more proactive. If the new owner is not doing anything with the horse, perhaps the thrill of ownership has worn off or at least dimmed, the OP could offer to buy the horse back. Doubtful he'd do it because people just don't want to admit they can't handle the responsibility and the animals are the ones who suffer.

If the owner runs out of food again, as HARD AS IT IS, document when the feed ran out. Let NO ONE ELSE feed it and call Animal Control and let them know. Take pictures. Perhaps having an A/C officer come by and chat with him will help the BO realize HE is ultimately responsible. BO can add $$ to the board for food purchased. If that money is not paid, then the BO can file a stableman's lien.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

LA attorney here. No, you can't take possession of the horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

And this is why every time someone asks if they can do self board with stalls or a paddock the answer is always a big no

contact animal control

Default No.

Stop feeding him. Make it the BO's responsibility. If you don't you're being a sucker.

You can't just take possession of a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque Russell View Post
    I have told the new owner that when the price I spend gets to $500, I am taking posession of the horse.
    kra-zee

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    And this is why every time someone asks if they can do self board with stalls or a paddock the answer is always a big no
    Yes, that's a big old NO!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    kra-zee
    Yeah, that is why I assumed he meant the horse's payment was not complete.
    I didn't think anyone would think by feeding someone's horse they now own it.