The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mine was I think $250 for a full treatment, with a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, and a haircut, included. I'm in Greensboro, NC, and have been with my stylist forever, so her prices are usually good. I would definitely not pay $600 for it - for that I could just get a blowout twice a week and be done with it!

Default Bump cuz humidity is coming!

My hair is now a big deal to me, to cover surgical scars. I now have bangs, wear my hair down 99% of the time, and blow dry it regularly. Pulling it into a pony is difficult because 2" long baby hairs along one incision (from temple to back of head) poke out a la a Fjord's roach and look very silly.

This morning I got all ready for work then stepped outside for 30 seconds for Joey's last potty break. When I came back in, I noticed my hair looked like a chia plant. Harrumphhh . Frizz! Guess what? Those baby hairs curl/frizz. Nooooo!

My hair is fine and I'm constantly wanting to increase volume. I know the curl in it aids volume, though I curse the frizz. Will Keratin treatment make it flat or thin?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I have super baby-fine hair which falls between curly and wavy. I like the body and don't' want it straightened - but frizz is an ugly bitch. My hair is also, due to it's fineness, not terribly thick and I'd hate for it to come back all straight and thin looking.
    As summer progresses, I will blow dry my hair and the instant I step outside all is lost. My hair blows up like a cartoon character grabbing a hot wire. My arsenal of anti-frizz products is useless. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pookah View Post
    I found a sulfate-free purple shampoo on Amazon and that totally resolved the problem.
    Would you mind sharing the name, or a link?
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    My hair is now a big deal to me, to cover surgical scars. I now have bangs, wear my hair down 99% of the time, and blow dry it regularly. Pulling it into a pony is difficult because 2" long baby hairs along one incision (from temple to back of head) poke out a la a Fjord's roach and look very silly.

This morning I got all ready for work then stepped outside for 30 seconds for Joey's last potty break. When I came back in, I noticed my hair looked like a chia plant. Harrumphhh . Frizz! Guess what? Those baby hairs curl/frizz. Nooooo!

My hair is fine and I'm constantly wanting to increase volume. I know the curl in it aids volume, though I curse the frizz. Will Keratin treatment make it flat or thin?

As summer progresses, I will blow dry my hair and the instant I step outside all is lost. My hair blows up like a cartoon character grabbing a hot wire. My arsenal of anti-frizz products is useless. What to do?
    I have fine, thin hair (but a lot of it) that has an annoying amount of funky curl/wave. Between the thickness of my hair, the small bathroom, hot flashes, and the amount of time it takes to blow dry it straight, along with NC humidity... I was ready to take a set of clippers to my head!!

Getting a keratin treatment was one of the best things I ever did. It now takes about 5 minutes to dry my hair and another 5 or so minutes to run a flat iron through it. If you get the treatment, ask your stylist about what sort of shampoo/conditioner you need to use. My stylist gave me a cleansing conditioner that I use every day. I only use the shampoo she recommended about once a week. Even with sweating through my half-marathon training, the cleansing conditioner does a superb job. My hair is manageable and very soft. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Even the baby hairs don't go all corkscrew on me any longer. Of course, your mileage may vary, so discuss what you want before you get anything done.
    Alis volat propriis.

I'll be the voice of opposition and say that I absolutely hated the Keratin Express treatment that I had done.

I was under the assumption that the "Express" treatment that would last 4-6 months would be just that - temporary. However, your hair never goes back to normal. It would be like coloring, in that you will need to continuously go back and have your roots done, or else you'll end up curly on top and "relaxed" on the bottom.

Actually, my hair didn't even get to the point of being relaxed. It was stringy. And I felt like it thinned my hair - you could see my scalp around my hairline (which you never could before) and the thickness of my ponytails substantially diminished.

I'm sure your results are dependent on the competency of your stylist, but if you want to sacrifice your curly hair and get roped into the cycle of needing constant touch ups, go for it.

I'm sorry, can you tell I'm bitter? I used to have very long, thick, curly hair. I literally had to cut a foot of hair off to get rid of it. It's taking forever to grow back. I suppose I'm lucky if getting a Keratin treatment is one big regret in my life, but I miss my long hair

Quote Originally Posted by 3chestnuts View Post
    I'm sorry, can you tell I'm bitter? I used to have very long, thick, curly hair. I literally had to cut a foot of hair off to get rid of it. It's taking forever to grow back. I suppose I'm lucky if getting a Keratin treatment is one big regret in my life, but I miss my long hair
    I didn't do the keratin thing, but I'm bitter right there with you. Mine was taking birth control pills. Lost about half my hair (I had a LOT) and only about half of that came back, and the texture was awful. The texture has improved some now, but I still have much less hair
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Why, oh why, spend a gazillion dollars on this when it comes out pretty good when you do it yourself? I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Rejuvenol-hour...ment+rejuvenol

I do this every 4 mos. or so and it comes out great! I spend at the most $50 a year on the keratin formula. The one I buy that I linked above is used in some salons.

Prep by washing 2-3 times with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo, no cream rinse, let dry overnight. When totally dry, I put on rubber gloves, spread about 1/3 of this smallish bottle evenly throughout hair, then iron lots & lots & leave for 2 days. I don't spray it in, I use rubber gloves as the formaldehyde bothers me less that way. I only use 1/3 of this small bottle or else my eyes burn. I put an old towel on my pillow for the next two nights, also, until I can wash the hair.
    Last edited by sonomacounty; May. 8, 2015 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chestnuts View Post

I was under the assumption that the "Express" treatment that would last 4-6 months would be just that - temporary. However, your hair never goes back to normal. It would be like coloring, in that you will need to continuously go back and have your roots done, or else you'll end up curly on top and "relaxed" on the bottom.
    Oh ya, no, the Express/Blowout is only supposed to last 6-8 weeks, the full treatment is supposed to last 4-6 months.

I've gotten 3 of the 'full treatments' and a handful of the express treatments. I switched to the express once they were available, as 3 days of not touching my hair is horrible!
    Good news is, the keratin blowout/express lasts me 3 maybe 4 months, but I have yet to notice in the 5-6 years I've been having them done the effect you talk about where you need touchups at your roots. Were you sure to use the sulfate free shampoo? Even one wash without it can really mess it up. Typically my hair just is all pretty or all frizzy- ha! And I have super super frizzy hair, so it'd be easy to tell!

IME, my curly (but not cute curly, like some super tight curls, some more relaxed curls, a few random strands of super straight hair, so I just look like a hot mess) hair becomes wavy with the treatment, but if I wear my hair up in a bun for a few hours it becomes this magically perfect salon-quality blowout looking straight hair. I pay $250ish (tip included) for the blowout/express. The 3 day/full treatment I believe was $600? But you couldn't pay me to do that again!

Holy cow! Such strikingly different experiences. Now I don't know what to do and the frizz is getting bad!

Does anyone know if you can use a sea salt texturizing spray if you have done a keratin treatment? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use a sea salt texturizing spray if you have done a keratin treatment? Thanks.
    Check the bottle- anything with 'sulfate' in the ingredients is a no-go