The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keratin Hair Treatment - Anyone?

As the title says, has anyone had Keratin treatment done to straighten their hair? I'm curious if it really works?!

I have curly hair and normally wear it curly but this winter I have been using a flat iron to straightening it and LOVE my hair straight! I get so many compliments on my hair now!

But once spring / summer hits and I constantly have to wash my hair between riding / swimming / working in the yard....taking time to straighten my hair will not happen!!!

So does Keratin work? Did it reduce time dealing with your hair? I want the good, the bad and the ugly!

I did a keratin treatment on my hair a few months ago and I really liked the results. It does NOT make your hair straight, in my experience, although I only had the "express" treatment done because I couldn't afford a full one. I found that my hair is much less frizzy and much easier to tame. It's also super shiny and so soft! If I want to straighten it so it's pin-straight, it takes me less time, but if I just leave it on its own, it's wavy (which is normal for my hair) without being frizzy.

I use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, as those don't strip the keratin off, and my hair has been super soft and shiny since I got the treatment done, which was right before Thanksgiving. If it didn't cost so much, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

2 members found this post helpful.

I LOVED it, and already have an appointment scheduled for May (I would happily have it done year round if I could justify the cost, but May gets me through most of the summer at least). I will admit that it didn't give me quite the results I was hoping for (which were that I could just blow dry my hair and it would look perfect), but it was well worth the money. I could spend about 30 seconds with a flat iron and just smooth it out a bit instead of really flat-ironing all of it. My hair is straight with just enough wave to it that I have to do something - it's not really curly or straight enough to look good with no intervention :-). For my hair it worked really well for about 2 months, and probably partial effect for another month and a half or so. I did use sulfate-free shampoo, which is apparently a must, and from what I've seen, different types tend to last longer in certain types of hair, so I would definitely go with a professional's recommendation.

It's sounding good. If it would help with frizzy mess, it could be worth it! When I use the flat iron now, it takes about 20 minutes and right afterwards my hair is a little wild for a while. It's best if I straighten it at night before going to bed, then the next morning my hair has 'calmed down' and looks nice. If the Keratin would help it not be so wild/frizzy that would be awesome!

Yes, summer time is the worst...darn humidity and my hair don't like each other!!!

It sounds like you would love it - getting rid of frizz is probably what it does BEST. The only other thing I forgot is to schedule it carefully - depending on what kind you do, you will probably have about 3 days that you are not supposed to wash it. After it has been ironed flat as a pancake. I almost went insane during those three days, and I thought it looked glued flat to my head, although ironically I got a ridiculous number of compliments on it. But it is miserable and feels gross by the third day, so you might not want to have any big meetings and such. My hairdresser also suggested not wearing a hat or helmet if I could avoid it for a few days. Sounds like a lot of planning I know, but I swear it was worth the results.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have lots of allergies and I had the express done and when I started to sweat in the humidity I swelled and turned R E D. Ditto above. The first few days are gross! THen it is quite nice for a few months. I can't do it again but you may like it!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

I've had the express several times, and it really does work With the express, I only have to wait 24 hours before washing though my hair smells like chocolate for weeks. Since the last one, my hair has stayed straight and shiny, though it has been months. I wonder if it's the sulfate-free shampoos that I've continued to use that are making the difference.

This is interesting. I hate what summer does to my hair.

Question - my hair is ugly wavy when left to its own devices - but is also very fine - not really thin (can take forever to blow dry the top back) but I could gather it all in one small, small pigtail type rubber band if needed. Does this weigh it down so it would look thinner?

Also, if you have your hair color treated (highlighted) is it ok?

Finally, appropriate for, ahem, older gals? (over 50)
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I have the same question as CVPeg - I have super baby-fine hair which falls between curly and wavy. I like the body and don't' want it straightened - but frizz is an ugly bitch. My hair is also, due to it's fineness, not terribly thick and I'd hate for it to come back all straight and thin looking.

Input appreciated.

My hair is probably pretty similar to CVPeg's - fine, but I have plenty of it (takes ages to dry), but it's not a huge ponytail. It has JUST enough wave to be annoying, and not enough to be cute, and definitely volume products are my #1 purchase. Your hair will definitely look flat and gross for the couple of days before you can wash it (though like I said, everyone else thought it looked great, so maybe we're the dumb ones for thinking we need more volume ), but once I could wash it, volume was no different - just that it was straighter. Actually, It was probably better, because I could use less product and less flat-ironing.

It's completely not a problem with haircolor, which is weird to me but my hairdresser swears, and my hair did fine. She will actually do color and Keratin in the same appointment (if you have the patience to sit that long, which I do not). My hair gets colored every six weeks and has for years, and did just fine with Keratin. The only problem I had is that I color my hair blonde, and have really mineral-y water at home, so I normally use purple shampoo. When I switched to the sulfate-free regular shampoo after the Keratin, my color didn't last as well. I found a sulfate-free purple shampoo on Amazon and that totally resolved the problem. My hairdresser says that most of her clients actually find that if anything it's better for their hair, because it reduces flat-iron use, which is the most damaging thing most of us do. I haven't tried this, but apparently there are some home versions of Keratin that don't last as long - might be worth a try if you want to see what it's like without committing to a few months of it. I will say for me personally, if money and time were no object, I'd absolutely be getting it done year-round, I loved it.

And here I'm thinking about having to cut back on the hairdresser. I don't use a flat iron, as I can blow dry my hair straight. But it NEVER lasts that way unless there is not one ounce of humidity. The worst is going to Saratoga, where by the end of the 1st race, I look like I just stepped out of the washing machine, almost...

And I can stand flat and gross for a couple of days. Like back to back barn days.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I looked into it for my daughter as she has long, thick wavy hair that she straightens (although I love her hair the way it is). I thought it was an interesting option and might help her get out of the house sooner. The salon we use (not the most expensive, not the least) quoted us $600!!!

That ended that discussion right there.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

This is by far the most amazing thing that I have ever had done to my hair (which is super curly but also really fine) It took almost all of the curl out of my hair and there is pretty much no frizz either. Before it would take me 45 min to dry and straighten my hair, now it takes 10 min and I hardly even need my flat iron.

It's expensive for sure, but there are some ways to cut the cost some. My sister is a hair dresser, and the first time I got the treatment done was at her school. They used the same product all the high end solons use (cappola keratin) and charged about half the price. Since she finished school, I bought a bottle of the solution online and she has been doing it at home.

It isn't really a hard treatment to do and a good beauty school will do just as nice a job for a lot less.

This sounded wonderful, and I was just about to ask if it would work on short frizzy hair (I wear mine in a pixie.) But, I decided to look before I asked, and, while I was looking, I found this article claiming that the treatment contains formaldehyde, which is toxic. I think I'll pass. http://www.oprah.com/style/Keratin-H...Smoothing-Safe
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I debated over getting the Keratin treatment done or Brazilian Blowout which is similar. My hair stylist said some of her clients have tried both and preferred the Brazilian Blowout. With the Keratin, you can't wash or pull your hair back for a while after the treatment - with the Brazilian, you can go home and wash your hair right away if you wanted. I decided to go with the Brazilian. I've had it done 2x now. The effects lasted about 3 months and started to fade as I got closer to the 3 month mark. I still blow dry and flat iron my hair, but it takes much less time to do. I love the straight look - otherwise my hair is a frizzy, curly mess. The Brazilian Blowout definitely helped with the frizz. I think the Keratin treatment does too.

I highly recommend the keratin treatment just keep in mind there is the express and full treatment. Express is good for slight wave and frizz and full for individuals with very curly hair. Well worth the money!

I don't know where you are in Georgia, but Shannon at Salon 313 in Marietta does a great job with straightening. I don't have it done myself since mine's already stick straight, but I've been in her chair for color while she was doing the keratin treatment on others. One woman left with the smoothest, softest long hair afterwards - she showed me her "before" picture on her phone and it was a headfull of frizz! Really amazing results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    I highly recommend the keratin treatment just keep in mind there is the express and full treatment. Express is good for slight wave and frizz and full for individuals with very curly hair. Well worth the money!
    Is the full treatment that costs $600+/- and the Express is around $250 or so?

I have curly, thick, dry frizzy hair....ugh! I probably need to expensive one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I don't know where you are in Georgia, but Shannon at Salon 313 in Marietta does a great job with straightening. I don't have it done myself since mine's already stick straight, but I've been in her chair for color while she was doing the keratin treatment on others. One woman left with the smoothest, softest long hair afterwards - she showed me her "before" picture on her phone and it was a headfull of frizz! Really amazing results.
    I'm on the other side of Atlanta... Snellville / Loganville area. I know the lady who does my hair does Keratin and I briefly talked to her about it. I need to get in soon to have my hair colored...too much grey showing up!!!

The express only costs me about $150, and it works great, just doesn't last as long. I would never have the patience to sit thought the full treatment. As it is, I can't ride the day after the express. My hair is colored and very thick. My age is a secret but lets just say the roots are coming out gray.