The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Horses abandonned in mountains - Rescue in progress in Canada

Just caught iton the news, 2 horses were found in the mountains by snowmobilers, starving, frostbitten... volunteers are digging trenches to walk them out. They have brought them blankets, hay and are melting snow.

Jingling for their safety.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

Rescuers free horses possibly abandoned by Edmonton man

Updated: Sun Dec. 21 2008 17:46:13

Sonia Sunger, ctvedmonton.ca
    Volunteers braved the bitter temperatures Sunday digging a trench to free two horses trapped near a B.C. mountain, which some say were abandoned by an Edmonton hunter this past fall.

Local residents have been working day and night to dig a kilometre-long trench to the nearest trail to get the animals out to safety.

"We can't get equipment there because it would get stuck. We can't get a helicopter into them because we're risking them if we have to tranquilize them, so the only option seems to be to dig them out by hand," said volunteer Lisa Levasseur.

The two horses were found by snowmobilers in a remote area of Mount Renshaw about a week ago.

"They've obviously starved....they're missing quite a bit of hair from rain scold (and) they have a little bit of frostbite," said Levasseur.

Nearby residents say the animals were left behind by an Edmonton hunter this fall, but SPCA officials won't confirm who is being investigated.

"At this point in time we feel we have an owner identified and the matter is open for investigation so we're looking to collect information," said Kent Kokoska, from the SPCA.

A local Edmonton animal rescuer is commending the efforts being made by the B.C. volunteers.

Donna-Rae Coatta, who helped nurse more than 100 abused horses back to health after they were found on an Andrew, Alta. farm says while the task will be difficult, it is necessary.

"It would be really easy to say just euthanize them on the spot, but you know what, they're two animals that are fighting for their lives and you have to give them that credit," said Coatta.

SPCA officials won't say whether they are recommending charges to be laid.

For more information on the volunteer effort and how to donate call Spindrift Powersports at 250-569-0070 or click here.
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Dec. 22, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Title changed

Throw in 6 ft. of snow and it sounds eerily like that godawful case of "let's play pioneer on weekends" case of abandonment in Montana a couple of months ago.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Can't find any updates this morning. Alberta Cothers????

http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f3/h...haw-10308.html

This is the thread I have been following for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by BTABBY View Post
    http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f3/h...haw-10308.html

This is the thread I have been following for updates.

wow. What a great group of people

The photos of the poor mare with her hair missing are pretty awful though... I hope they succeed
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

That is a great group of people .
    Thank-goodness for sledders, those horses would be dead with out them.

Wonderful group of snowmobilers there! Good for them for all their hard work...it's not often you see a group of non-horse folks going to such lengths to help out two abandoned horses.
    Hope like hell karma does them one great turn soon, they deserve it.

Those poor horses...frankly I'm amazed the mare has made it so far missing *so* much hair in the cold weather.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

What a great group of folks and what a cruel person to abandon them in a situation like that..

Here;s another link with updates (I do believe you have to look aroudn the blog to get the updates- sorry this isn't the most recent one). http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/2...t-renshaw.html

From what I hear, they are going to try to take them out today (Mon 22nd). This is only what I HEAR and I usually don't post heresay, so take it FWIW.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

That is some rough country up there, and cold to work out in! Good on those sledders (snow machiners?) for doing what is right. I know they catch a lot of crap down here in the states for noise and pollution, but who cares in this instance--they are true horsementarians. I hope they get those horses out, and they survive, and, most importantly, they catch the lazy, asshat wearing SOB who left them up there.

Holy crap! Did the horse on the left in the newspaper article picture lose its tail??! Damn, those are some awesome people to do what they're doing. I just tried to dig through a 6 foot deep snow drift on my driveway, and about died! Can't imagine doing almost a mile of it.
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Dec. 22, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more info
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by gwenrowdy View Post
    Throw in 6 ft. of snow and it sounds eerily like that godawful case of "let's play pioneer on weekends" case of abandonment in Montana a couple of months ago.
    That's exactly what happened...I pulled this from the blog:

"For the fellow who wanted to know about how they got there in the first place (kudos to you for knowing they shouldn't be there at all).
    A lawyer from Alberta was making a packtrip through there in the summer, for whatever reason decided it wasn't going well and left the horses while getting himself out. It is rumored that there were 3 but one has died."

So sad

Here is a link to some pics...

http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/memb...se-rescue.html
    Last edited by sickofcollege; Dec. 22, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Cool to see all the snowmobilers pitching in with time, $, effort!!!

..I'm only on pg 7 so far...

Link to the photos:
    http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/memb...se-rescue.html

Yowsers!!! That's quite the trench they are digging!!! Kudos to all those involved in trying to save those 2 horses!

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post

..I'm only on pg 7 so far...
    Yeah. I have mad speed reading skills. Why? I have no clue! But, its useful for message boards...I can get the whole story in a jiffy

Overall, I'm really happy to see the compassion the snowmobile community has for these two poor horses. Talk about Christmas spirit. I can only hope that the man responsible gets some sort of punishment for his actions.

There are some sick people out there who do this to animals. I hope they take him and dump him out there.
    Cloverfox Stables

Quote Originally Posted by sickofcollege View Post
    :

"For the fellow who wanted to know about how they got there in the first place (kudos to you for knowing they shouldn't be there at all).
    A lawyer from Alberta was making a packtrip through there in the summer, for whatever reason decided it wasn't going well and left the horses while getting himself out. It is rumored that there were 3 but one has died."
    That's exactly what crossed my mind when I read about this case on another board-that I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one other horse that went down and is buried under the snow.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

To play devil's advocate here and having no clue as to the actual circumstances in this particular case. It is not unusual for trail riders to "lose" horses in the mountains. When I was a kid, I belonged to a trail riding club. We'd ride in the mountains quite frequently, and on more than one occasion, we lost one or more horses. One horse (Chief) went AWOL when turned loose to follow the herd in to the campsite, should have been ponied in rather than just turned loose to follow. Another time, one of the horses (Smokey) was an escape artist. He went down the row of horses tied in tie stalls and turned them all loose; another time same horse opened the corral gate and let the herd out of one of the group corals. Usually we found most in fairly short order, but a couple of times we didn't find them until the following spring (and one had become pregnant over the winter). We spent many, many weekends hunting those lost horses. There are certainly small groups of feral horses that have been lost by their rightful owners over the years. Should have an update on these horses shortly, news is on, story will be reported towards the end of the newshour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobi View Post
    To play devil's advocate here and having no clue as to the actual circumstances in this particular case. It is not unusual for trail riders to "lose" horses in the mountains. When I was a kid, I belonged to a trail riding club. We'd ride in the mountains quite frequently, and on more than one occasion, we lost one or more horses. One horse (Chief) went AWOL when turned loose to follow the herd in to the campsite, should have been ponied in rather than just turned loose to follow. Another time, one of the horses (Smokey) was an escape artist. He went down the row of horses tied in tie stalls and turned them all loose; another time same horse opened the corral gate and let the herd out of one of the group corals. Usually we found most in fairly short order, but a couple of times we didn't find them until the following spring (and one had become pregnant over the winter). We spent many, many weekends hunting those lost horses. There are certainly small groups of feral horses that have been lost by their rightful owners over the years. Should have an update on these horses shortly, news is on, story will be reported towards the end of the newshour.

Perhaps...but that is not the case here, a few pages into the thread posted you would find that this hunter abandoned his horses, I think even said he was going back for them but did not.

This man should pay for the rescue efforts, the rehabilitation and the pain and suffering for these horses. If he is indeed a lawyer, he knows the process. Shame on him. God bless those who have helped these poor horses.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~