The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I switched over to barefoot shoes. I wear them everywhere except in the saddle. Great benefits from them. Back pain gone after two days. Had orthotics, high arches, nothing helped. Took my shoes off and cured all ails. My friend had bad plantar facaitis (sp) and it's gone with the barefoot shoes. Who knew feet can do so much when they're out of shoes and allowed to function. Its really kinda weird, in a nice way. Surprising.

Well dang we have a plurality of anecdote and testimonials.

Next we'll see professional athletes wearing these barefoot shoes, football, baseball, basketball, soccer.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Haven't there been studies done in the military regarding "barefoot" type footwear that have found significant benefits?
    IIRC, those studies found that it is the style of running that may afford benefits. Of the five branches of the military, thus far, only the Army has banned the use of 'barefoot"/minimalist footwear. There have been several lawsuits against the companies that manufacture the 'five finger glove' style footwear mostly revolving around false claims regarding the benefits of using their minimalist footwear. In fact, many of the claims regarding the 'barefoot footwear' resemble the [Junk Science] claims proffered by the intelligentcia of the equine BUA movement.

AND there is a person who posts here that did the whole "barefoot transition" on herself, only to stress fracture her foot about 4 months into it....just sayin'

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure my podiatrist at the VA would be really happy with me and my diabetes related foot problems if I was to tell him that I was going the 'barefoot way' and from now on would only wear the foot gloves when I wore any foot protection/support at all................ Its also interesting that none of the choices I am afforded at the VA include the minimalist or foot glove options. Wonder why that is? lol!

So you can't use them, therefore they must be useless?

I've only heard of one lawsuit and there were a whole lot more people saying they get benefits than the one person complaining.

I've been using them for two years. No broken feet, no problems, haven't been stepped on, etc. Can't say a bad thing about them.

2 members found this post helpful.

So barefoot is BAD for human feet?

I would like some links to papers / studies that show barefoot is unhealthy for the human foot. I am finding many links to the contrary, but I would like to learn how barefoot / natural foot is unhealthy for a normal foot (besides protecting from cuts etc).

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    So you can't use them, therefore they must be useless?
    Nah, they're not useless. They have been able to separate many a sucker from his money, they have increased the bottom line of many podiatrists, physical therapists, and orthopaedists, and they can be held up as a shining example of near worthlessness.

I've only heard of one lawsuit and there were a whole lot more people saying they get benefits than the one person complaining.
    Lawsuits, including at least one class action lawsuit( which, in case you are unaware, involves multiple plaintiffs) have been filed against Vibram, Reebock(settled), and Sketchers.
    http://running.competitor.com/2010/0...epidemic_10118
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/47875555/Mini...arget_In_Court
    http://pa-law-blogs.com/legal-inform...love-injuries/
    I've been using them for two years. No broken feet, no problems, haven't been stepped on, etc. Can't say a bad thing about them.
    Well, there 'ya go. Next thing we know they will be mandatory in foundries., for motorcyclists, steel workers, commercial fishermen, postal delivery personnel, stable workers, lumberjacks, chemical plant workers, longshoremen, auto mechanics, factory workers, skiers, ice skaters, farriers, the list is endless.
    Last edited by Rick Burten; Feb. 28, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Demonstrably, it can be.
    I would like some links to papers / studies that show barefoot is unhealthy for the human foot. I am finding many links to the contrary, but I would like to learn how barefoot / natural foot is unhealthy for a normal foot (besides protecting from cuts etc).
    "Cuts, etc" coupled with common sense isn't enough for you? OK, OK, lets leave common sense out of the equation.

Why and how are you all comparing a hoof to a human foot? Does anyone here wear a steel plate nailed or glued on the bottom of their foot for comfort and support?
    Might be worth a try ......
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Why and how are you all comparing a hoof to a human foot? Does anyone here wear a steel plate nailed or glued on the bottom of their foot for comfort and support?
    I have on occasion worn shoes with a steel plate on the bottom, but only when I want to walk on water.

2 members found this post helpful.

IIRC, and someone with more time and inclination can fact check me, there is a fairly well documented history of running shoe style and injuries.

Years ago, when minimalist shoes were the norm, so were stress fractures and more of your bony column type injuries.

Then someone decided that a heel strike was the way to go and designed a shoe to accommodate that. The bony column type injuries went away but were replaced with the soft tissue injuries we see today- ITB, PF, etc.

Many injuries from both types of shoes stem from the over achieving nature of runners- too much too soon, and not from the shoes or running style.

People really do run 100+ mile races in minimalist shoes. Successfully. Other people run 100+ miles in conventional shoes, successfully.

Rick, type 2? Have you ever looked into HIIT training?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Why and how are you all comparing a hoof to a human foot?
    Good questions Charlie. I am heartened to see that you have put your critical thought process to work.
    Does anyone here wear a steel plate nailed or glued on the bottom of their foot for comfort and support?
    Does this count?
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...image008-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    My friend had bad plantar facaitis (sp) and it's gone with the barefoot shoes.
    Apparently that's a medical miracle because according to the research I've done, recommendations for immediate relief and reduction of inflammation from plantar fasciitis include heel and foot stretching exercises as can be tolerated, rest, and wearing shoes with good support and cushions............

Please note the first sentence of the second paragraph of this:
    http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/shoe...fasciitis.html

Medical miracle. That's a good one. I'll have to tell that to all the people I kmow who have experienced the same results as pal-o-mino's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    My nephew's fiancé (aka "Frankentoes"), owner if this foot, might say it CAN be...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...60100737_n.jpg

I have a pair of the Vibram's Five Fingers that I love. Do I walk/run differently in them than I do in regular shoes, you betcha. Do I think they replace shoes in every situation, not hardly. But they are great for appropriate situations.

As someone who got sucked into the majickal world of the BUA, I strongly feel that the barefoot movement uses "proof" to substantiate their claims that just doesn't pass my smell test and ignores or discredits generations of healthy, functional hoof knowledge because it doesn't mesh with their agenda. There is a middle ground that many hoof practitioners cannot compromise on and that lack of compromise renders their arguments as sketchy, at best, in my humble opinion.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    I guess it would.
    I will say this, she would not be hard to catch.
    Last edited by Charlie Piccione; Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

I'd have to be in a pretty serious world of hurt before I'd wear those Vibrams. They are the ugliest things I've ever seen.