The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Yep, when I bought her she had very contracted feet (she's 17' and wore size 1 shoes). It has been almost a year and we've managed to up her to size 2, but the farrier feels she will only be ok once she's a size 3 or 4.

I love the idea of these casts but wouldn't even dream of suggesting it to my super farrier unless its actually a viable idea.
    Why can't you talk to your farrier?

It doesn't sound like you trust your farrier much. Why so?
    If you think he doesn't handle your horse properly, maybe you should seek for another farrier's opinion that would suit your beliefs and your horse's needs better.

Your horse is quite big, and should have enough feet to support him. What is the reason your farrier gave you as to why your horse needs larger feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Yep. And, Thank You!
    As much as I appreciate a skeptic, I appreciate it even more when someone employs critical analysis and thought. Not to mention, reading for content in contest with comprehension. Well done!
    Merci!

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    It allows a good amount of protection to weak/thin/under developed/thrushy frogs so the horse can use his heels properly without the sting of loading the heel, when makeing contact with the ground, which in turn should build a conciderable amount of frog in a short time.
    I again ask, How? For example, how does covering(protecting?) a weak/thin/thrushy frog help it or allow a horse to use its heels properly without the sting of loading the heel.......? Can a horse use its heels properly without loading them? If so, how?

You also first stated that the product will allow a horse to build frog but later add the qualifier 'should build", so which is it? The difference between your initial and second claim is, significant.

I again ask, How? For example, how does covering(protecting?) a weak/thin/thrushy frog help it or allow a horse to use its heels properly without the sting of loading the heel.......? Can a horse use its heels properly without loading them? If so, how?

No...

You also first stated that the product will allow a horse to build frog but later add the qualifier 'should build", so which is it? The difference between your initial and second claim is, significant.
    If you want to split hairs or frogs......It should build a conciderable amount of frog material as it will allow a more comfortable (key) use of the heels if the horse is so inclined and or able to physically do so.
    I hope that helps.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

So it makes the foot numb so the horse is more comfortable? I think metal shoes do a much better job of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    It should build a conciderable amount of frog material as it will allow a more comfortable (key) use of the heels if the horse is so inclined and or able to physically do so.
    I hope that helps.
    Sorry, but it doesn't help. How does it allow a more comfortable use of the heels?
    What if the horse is not so inclined and/or able to physically do so> By the way, what does 'physicaly do so' mean? How does creating an artificial anaerobic environment over an area already afflicted by anaerobes, help improve an already "thrushy" frog?

Can you provide any links, cites, etc. to research that has been done that shows that the application of this material actually builds a considerable amount of frog material.

Why do you continue to use the qualifier "should"? Either it does or it doesn't, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    So it makes the foot numb so the horse is more comfortable? I think metal shoes do a much better job of that.
    Now, Tommy, why are you giving the Fluff Bunnies suffering from TSS more ammunition? You know that its going to bite you/us in the butt. Soon, I expect to read that "Noted East Coast farrier, Tom Bloomer says that metal shoes do an excellent job of numbing the foot......." Then, we'll have to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining the sarcasm that is contained in that reference. Perhaps if you were to edit that post and add a disclaimer to the effect that what you wrote was written both in jest and sarcasm. it would save us from the onslaught of stupidity that is bound to occur. Even if you just added the icon it might forestall the non-intelligentsia from doing what they do best......

1 members found this post helpful.

Tom Blommer says: "So it makes the foot numb so the horse is more comfortable? I think metal shoes do a much better job of that."

Eh, I got a kick out of it!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

So, could you please translate the last few posts to "hoof ignorant" people like me?

Tom and Rick, do you feel this "bandaging" system would be useful in situations like mine? (Contracted hoof, minor laminae x-ray changes, high demanding sports career, stabled most of the day?)

Why do you continue to use the qualifier "should"? Either it does or it doesn't, right?
    As in all things Equine...and in your own words of wisdom "It Depends"
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Tom and Rick, do you feel this "bandaging" system would be useful in situations like mine? (Contracted hoof, minor laminae x-ray changes, high demanding sports career, stabled most of the day?)
    All disclaimers apply..........

That said, No.

So, could you please translate the last few posts to "hoof ignorant" people like me?

Can you buy the idea that socks are better support and protection than shoes?

I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but that may be one of the most profound and *head desk* provoking statements that I've ever read on COTH. Once again, I'm reminded why I find both TB and RB's COTH posts absolutely spot-on.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

3 members found this post helpful.

This is something anyone could understand. Thank You!!

Got it, thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but that may be one of the most profound and *head desk* provoking statements that I've ever read on COTH. Once again, I'm reminded why I find both TB and RB's COTH posts absolutely spot-on.
    Rick and I are TWINS <link

Rick and I are TWINS <link
    Yeah, I got the good looks and brains, Tom got the height and the webbed feet...........

I'm the one in the middle in the picture..........

No dog in this fight… but the socks vs. shoes comment.

What about the movement in humans towards “barefoot” type shoes – and the preference of many runners to use a very minimal, almost sock like shoe as it allows the foot to function properly, while adding a bit of protection / comfort?

Or that many podiatrist say that going barefoot is healthier for the human foot than wearing shoes?

Or is that just a bunch of new age hooey?

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

What about the movement in humans towards “barefoot” type shoes –
    The movement is glacial.
    ....and the preference of many runners to use a very minimal, almost sock like shoe as it allows the foot to function properly, while adding a bit of protection / comfort?
    How many is "many"? Does the foot really function properly? Every time/every person? Personally, I prefer a lot of protection and wear shoes/boots that provide both protection and comfort.
    Or that many podiatrist say that going barefoot is healthier for the human foot than wearing shoes?
    What about all the other podiatrists? And, trying to compare the human foot and its bio-mechanics to that of the horse(or other equidae) is a straw man argument.
    What makes you think its only 'new age hooey'?

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

What about the movement in humans towards “barefoot” type shoes – and the preference of many runners to use a very minimal, almost sock like shoe as it allows the foot to function properly, while adding a bit of protection / comfort?

Sounds like a good marketing campaign. I'm sure this will result in many industrial workplaces, hospitals, factories, etc. change their requirement for employees to wear hard soled shoes in order to promote better foot health for said employees and subsequently save on workers compensation insurance premiums due to lower incidence of orthopedic problems and foot injuries in the work place.

Haven't there been studies done in the military regarding "barefoot" type footwear that have found significant benefits?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.