The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Link doesn't work

I concur with Rick's opinion.

6 members found this post helpful.

Energetics PHW Poly-Wrap

I'm no hoof guru so I'll just try to help the OP with the proper link. Is it working now?

ETA: I just went thru the website and at first I was, yep that could protect the wall of a shoeless foot but then I read this :
    The hoof wear is not used for protection, but rather for support of proper physiological function.
    I highly doubt it works that way.

I have a kit of wraps for 4 feet that KC sent me last year to try. It came with an application DVD that gives a very good tutorial on applying the wraps.

Haven't had a horse yet that I thought would be a good candidate for an experiment. Being a full service farrier with a fully stocked rig and the ability to fabricate anything a horse needs from metal or composite materials, I really don't have much use for "alternative" hoof protection/support products.

I think they are probably a good option for a non-farrier that is looking for an alternative to boots.

There is also a plastic shoe insert that can be applied with the wraps.

http://store.appliedequinepodiatry.o...pro-4-p52.aspx

The hoof wears "shoes" kit costs about 5 times as much as the materials for a set of metal shoes. OTOH it takes years of practice to develop the skill set required to do an adequate shoeing job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I concur with Rick's opinion.
    Great minds.........

I've not used Mr. LaPierre's product as I use Equicast products. http://www.equicast.us/

As with any product, there is a time and a place for Equicast and since it doesn't 'go bad' unless the foil pouch is penetrated, and it doesn't take up much room in my truck, I keep some on hand for those 'just in case' moments. I've used it on bare feet and then amended an orthotic, I've used it to put/'bandage' in place a steward clog or a urethane/aluminum/steel shoe, I've used it as a 'stand alone' application. I should also note for the record, that many of the things I can accomplish with the Equicast material, I can also accomplish by using only a PMMA or the like, or by using a cuff with various appliances attached. As seems to be ever true, It Depends But then again, Tom and I are full care hoof care providers..............

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Energetics PHW Poly-Wrap

I'm no hoof guru so I'll just try to help the OP with the proper link. Is it working now?
    Yep. And, Thank You!
    ETA: I just went thru the website and at first I was, yep that could protect the wall of a shoeless foot but then I read this : "The hoof wear is not used for protection, but rather for support of proper physiological function. "
    I highly doubt it works that way.
    As much as I appreciate a skeptic, I appreciate it even more when someone employs critical analysis and thought. Not to mention, reading for content in contest with comprehension. Well done!

I was actually looking at this as an alternative to glue ons. Since all the issues I had with my previous horse's hooves, I can't help but feel hammering something into the hoof every 6 weeks can't be too awesome for the laminae...

Why, what has happened to your horse's hooves that nail on shoes are not an option?

I don't think the product is appropritate for "instead of shoes" but I'll let the knowlegable ones comment on that.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

My current horse has great hooves, fortunately. But I have dabbled with enough hoof and laminae issues to be cautious, and if I can find a better option to nail on shoes, great.

A while ago, someone here linked to a product similar to Equicast but @ something like 1/3 the price. Let me see if I can find it...

Aha! Here we go: http://search.orthotape.com/gsearch....casting%20tape

Haven't looked at the LaPierre product. He might have something to offer, I don't know, but I just can't take him seriously.

I use this product regularly and it is the same as the more expensive products available. Also comes in pretty colors
    It is great for building frogs on barefoot horses amongst other things. Makes thin soled horses all comfy, solar abcessed horses seem to like it too.
    Can be used in conjuntion with shoes. Uses are as varied as your imagination.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Could it compress the hoof? I guess thats my major concern as right now my farrier is trying to increase my horse's shoe size.

And for those of you using the products Frizzle posted about, what width do you use?

Pictures of the hoofs would probably get you some good advise from the farriers here.

Increase shoe size?
    Charlie Piccione

Yep, when I bought her she had very contracted feet (she's 17' and wore size 1 shoes). It has been almost a year and we've managed to up her to size 2, but the farrier feels she will only be ok once she's a size 3 or 4.

I love the idea of these casts but wouldn't even dream of suggesting it to my super farrier unless its actually a viable idea.

I've used something similar on my mare's feet as a way to transition from shoes to barefoot, they worked well, but she needed more support and we went back to shoes. I have seen these work well to grow out the hoof and fix a few other problems, I don't believe they'd be a long term solution, but IMO would be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    It is great for building frogs on barefoot horses ............
    How does it do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    How does it do that?
    It allows a good amount of protection to weak/thin/under developed/thrushy frogs so the horse can use his heels properly without the sting of loading the heel, when makeing contact with the ground, which in turn should build a conciderable amount of frog in a short time.

As in anything to do with hoofs....must be properly applied to a proper trim for the horse in question.
    Charlie Piccione

I'm curious as to how well such a cast would stay on a really underrun foot.
    We have used a cast on my mare when she had torn off a good bit of wall when she was in a shoe-pulling phase, but my farrier put her regular shoes on and tacked them in place with 2 nails, and put the casts over top, so there was something for the cast to grab around at the heels, since there was no heel to wrap *around* per se...
    Would be interested in something like this since she really resents being hammered on (significant ringbone), but her feet are complete pancakes and her heel bulbs are pretty much on the ground when barefoot.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.