The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Supplements - weight building and muscle

I'd like to hear some opinions or recommendations of supplements that assist in weight building and muscle tone. Not looking for the easy way out when it comes to muscle tone, he is in a fantastic program and i'm not trying to achieve the "I want my horse to get a big top line" goal that i've seen here a couple times. Also not trying to pack on the pounds, more so maintain his current weight. Have an elderly horse who has quite a few years left in him. He tried the pasture thing and wasn't to thrilled, came home and now has a new job teaching a younger rider. He is in a fantastic program, he stays fit but is not overworked. He's had a diet that he's been on for quite some time now so I am hesitant to attempt to fix something that isn't completely broken, just looking for some finishing touches. Have not consulted the vet yet and I would like some recommendations that I cold lay on the table to hear what he has to say. Funny thing, a friend of mine suggested Accel Lifetime by Vitaflex and MSM. Not entirely sure what the MSM would specifically target on this horse and not even sure if MSM does much in general. Muscle Matrix was suggested. Muscle Matrix is a new product made by Equine Matrix, formally known as Mushroom Matrix. I currently use one of their products and have had great success. There were various other products that I wasn't a fan of, or did't hear anything spectacular about. The last was Gleam and Gain. I actually used this for my thoroughbred when I was 14 or so. Being the brilliant kid that I was, I did absolutely no research but the title seemed to fit the bill and it was cheap. It actually worked like a charm. At the time all I saw was that she was getting "fatter". I wish at the time that I had the appreciation and knowledge for products such as the ones listed above. In final note, somewhat of a reinstatement, In no way am I looking for the cheat or a fast acting solution. Simply wanting suggestions that I can bring to my vet, along with the ones he'll recommend to me.

Regarding the Accel Lifetime, I am not opposed to it, just cautious. It contains selenium at 0.29mg per ounce, the horse is not deficient. However nor is the horse that my friend has on it. The recommended feeding dose is 2 ounces pr day. I've heard both dreadful things about selenium supplements that are purely selenium, but have only heard positive things about this specific product. It also contains various other ingredients, ingredients that will be discussed with my vet first hand.

Creatine is the muscle building supplement. I have used it and use it, though I can't say if it really works. I prefer to buy the straight supplement instead of concocted products. It's cheaper and you know exactly what you're giving.

Either go with an all purpose "supplement" or target the specific amino-acids needed to build muscle.

If you choose an all purpose "supplement" I would go with Hemo 15. I've had great results with it on many different horses. Its a pretty complete formula that pretty much covers anything a horse may be lacking in, so in a couple of injections you have a completely different animal. I've never had any issues with it, and neither has my vet.

If you decide to go the specific amino acid route, try getting L-Lysine and L-Methyonine from your local livestock feed merchant. Its one of those things that if you buy a brand specifically marketed for horses, it costs you an arm and a leg, but if you buy the cow stuff its exactly the same and pretty cheap. Lysine and Methyonine are the specific amino-acids the body needs to build muscle mass.

I considered Creatine, actually that was one of the first things that came to mind, but I seemed to recall that it tested positive by USEF standards. I could be completely wrong though.

Need to know what he's eating now before anyone can possibly suggest a "muscle" supplement

1 members found this post helpful.

I personally won't touch creatine. I've used Body Builder and Corta-Flx's More Muscle (not at the same time!) (both gamma oryzanol supps) with good results. Not a magical solution for sure, but combined with a good feed and exercise program, I think it helped.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Well McCauley's rice bran oil has as much or more gamma oryzanol with the added benefit of fat. It gives them a beautiful coat.

The best thing I've found for both weight and topline/good body condition is a combo of Progressive Nutritions Pro Advantage Ration Balancer along with Envision Classic(extruded fat supplement)

I've heard track trainers liking the Bodybuilder supplement

This is what I've always used to put weight on a horse
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/weight-builder-816p.aspx. Always worked well

And I've used this for muscle support before on my guy that was getting sore with the work. It worked well
    http://www.animedproducts.com/images...son_06-11_.pdf
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Agree that we need to know what you're feeding now. A little scoop of supplement is probably not going to do much for building muscle, unless he happens to be deficient in the first place. In general though, for weight gain and maybe ​some muscle help, I second the rice bran.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I noticed a big difference in muscle of my current ride after adding Tri-Amino by Uckele. He gets it in his Smart pak.

2 members found this post helpful.

What's he eating now?

I've had surprisingly amazing results in a short period of time adding lysine to my horses' diets, especially with my old horse. And it's dirt cheap.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Currently he's getting Kompeet, Cosequin ASU, rice bran oil which was added only a few days ago, and the vet has a product that his practice makes themselves which is a multi-vit supplement. This is accompanied with Cavalor Performix. In all honesty he's not necessarily "getting thin" but could use a little help. If only I could say that I have the same problem.

How much rice bran oil are you giving? Personally, I'd see how it works before adding anything else.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I can't find anything useful about Kompeet, other than it has magical properties LOL What exactly is in it? Can you take a pic of the tag, or write down the first 5-6 ingredients, and given the protein, fat, lysine, methionine, copper, zinc, calcium, phosphorous, selenium amounts?

how much of that is he eating?

As an older horse who isn't underweight, if the Kompeet is a quality grain, low in sugars, and he's getting enough of it, it's unlikely he's going to gain any more muscle by feeding him more/differently. His work has to be doing the muscle building.

Is this the Kompeet?

http://www.calabasassaddlery.com/sto...plement+20+lbs.

It looks to be a dry fat supplement?

I've had the best luck with plenty of hay with alfalfa (if you can get it) or alfalfa pellets or cubes (if you can't), plus something high in fat (I prefer to use oil) and tri-amino.

In other words, plenty of calories via hay and fat plus the limiting amino acids.

Cool, you found a page that hadn't shown up for me. Yes, it appears to be a nearly 100% fat supplemen t- 99.5%

I missed the Cavalor Performix earlier - how much of that is he getting? That's the actual grain in all this.

Why is he getting Kompeet AND rice bran oil?

I had a decent amount of success with Legends brand Omega Plus fat supplement....40% fat feed supplement. comes in greasy-feeling little pellets that look like dog food.

But the horse is already getting not just a fat supplement, but also an oil.

Unless the horse has EPSM, fat doesn't put on muscle, just weight, and it doesn't seem the horse needs actual weight, just muscle

I'm sorry the Kompeet isn't his, I have two others on Kompeet which are in the same shed.