The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Worst parent of the year award.

I think I may be the winner...sigh....
    My DD had a ski race Sat. She did great in the 2 Giant Slalom runs than crashed pretty hard on the first of two runs on the Slalom course.
    When I got her in the racers lodge to check things over & talk to her, she said her wrist hurt. Looked it over & there wasn't any swelling, marks, etc. She was able to move her fingers, hand, & arm with only slight discomfort. I just thought it may be a slight sprain or bruised from landing on it in the crash.
    At this point she was more nervous about doing the course again, than complaining her arm hurt.
    I told her if her arm really hurt we would scratch, but if she wanted to do the last course run than just go slow & take her time on it.
    She chose to go ski the course... not much "give-up" in her...
    She did say her arm hurt a couple times on Sunday, but it wasn't slowing her down much. I gave her some Tylenol every 8 hrs & it seemed to help.
    Today she didn't really even mention her arm hurt much, except when pulling on her boots & gloves. I honestly didn't give it much thought either. It was a crazy busy day with lots of running around & appointments for both of us. We got home around 5:30pm & she asked for ice for her arm as it really was hurting. I looked at it & went It was swollen & had an obvious (small) bump on one side.
    Took her in to the after hrs clinic for an x-ray. She had a complete break through the radius. At least nothing has shifted.
    Now I KNOW my kid, she is super tough with my high pain tolerance. Why didn't I just get it checked out to be on the safe side right away!! I feel so bad that she went for 2 days with a broken arm & I didn't do anything.
    It's now in a splint until we can get into the Ortho for a cast.
    Next time I need to just stick with my gut feeling...

OK, mommy peanut, I have you beat !

My DD at 4 fell off an otoman at my girlfriends house playing with my girlfriends husband, these two people are my children's god parents. She said she broke her arm and needed to go to the hospital. She was not crying, but she kept repeating that she broke her arm. We called the insurance nurse who said that she could not have broken her arm since she was not crying.

We finished our visit and took her to the ER 60 minutes away. Yes she broke her arm AND required surgery.

I still feel bad, she had her arm pinned and it is fine but some kids are tougher than others...

Edit: I just want to say that I hope your daughter is feeling better, and that we all do our best.

Well, I don't have you beat, but I have a story. I had a kid in class once tell me his ankle hurt. So, I told him not to walk on it. He went home, and his mother later informed me he had broken his ankle! He had walked home on a broken ankle!

I actually abused myself, too. I came off a horse, BAD, and was kidnapped to the ER. When I was finally coherent I said nothing really hurt but my wrist. They did everything but xray it and released me. I walked around for a week like that with an aching wrist and no healthcare, and finally went to the chiropractic college to get an x-ray for $10. I had SUCH a big break in my wrist they wanted permission to copy it for their records.

When my younger son was 4ish, he and his brother were playing - his brother was launching him off the bed. I heard a crash and some crying, and he said his foot hurt. Well, I was a busy mom, and although he said it hurt when I put his shoe on, if I laced it up nice and tight, he seemed to be able to walk ok. Three days later he kept complaining so I finally took him to the dr. Sure enough - three bones in his foot were broken. I thought I'd won the mom-of-the-year award, but it seems as if I'm not the only one - nor are you!

Meh, my mom did similar with the same injury. I lived.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Its ok i recently fractured the bone below my big toe, i heard the crack awesome!

My mom.'s a nurse and she never catches when i get cellulitis in my eyelids, dont feel bad!

Teach your kids to tell you when things feel off ,
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by mommy peanut View Post
    I think I may be the winner...sigh....
    My DD had a ski race Sat. She did great in the 2 Giant Slalom runs than crashed pretty hard on the first of two runs on the Slalom course.
    When I got her in the racers lodge to check things over & talk to her, she said her wrist hurt. Looked it over & there wasn't any swelling, marks, etc. She was able to move her fingers, hand, & arm with only slight discomfort. I just thought it may be a slight sprain or bruised from landing on it in the crash.
    At this point she was more nervous about doing the course again, than complaining her arm hurt.
    I told her if her arm really hurt we would scratch, but if she wanted to do the last course run than just go slow & take her time on it.
    She chose to go ski the course... not much "give-up" in her...
    She did say her arm hurt a couple times on Sunday, but it wasn't slowing her down much. I gave her some Tylenol every 8 hrs & it seemed to help.
    Today she didn't really even mention her arm hurt much, except when pulling on her boots & gloves. I honestly didn't give it much thought either. It was a crazy busy day with lots of running around & appointments for both of us. We got home around 5:30pm & she asked for ice for her arm as it really was hurting. I looked at it & went It was swollen & had an obvious (small) bump on one side.
    Took her in to the after hrs clinic for an x-ray. She had a complete break through the radius. At least nothing has shifted.
    Now I KNOW my kid, she is super tough with my high pain tolerance. Why didn't I just get it checked out to be on the safe side right away!! I feel so bad that she went for 2 days with a broken arm & I didn't do anything.
    It's now in a splint until we can get into the Ortho for a cast.
    Next time I need to just stick with my gut feeling...

Yup, GUT is better than ANY symptoms...

I jumped off the roof of a two story barn on a dare when I was six... Couldn't walk, the neighbor kids wheeled me home on a dolly, scraped me off on the porch and ran home.

My mom pish-poshed me and had me walk on it. Two weeks later I had a regular well-kid appointment, and had two broken ankles.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

5 members found this post helpful.

My daughter was with her grandmother when she was 9, and fell off the monkey bars at the playground. Her wrist hurt, and her grandma (my ex-husband's mom) told her it was fine, and put some Noni juice on it. My daughter said "no, I really think it's broken" and insisted that she take her over to the local fire station. They strongly recommended that she take her to the ER (DUH). And yes, she DID have a broken wrist - my MIL was some embarrassed! My DD has always been an independent cuss!

I am convinced Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a parenting parable:

1. Too hot! Parent over reacts, turns out it's nothing.
    2. Too cold! Parent under reacts, turns out it's serious.
    3. Ah, just right ... Parent reacts appropriately, and injury is property cared/not cared for.

I have been lucky, and so far an no tummy ache has turned out to be appendicitis, that sore neck *wasn't* meningitis (but, seriously, thank heaven for my sensible husband who talked me down from that one) and while I did miss that rash bullseye that rather astonished my pediatrician (Good heaven's, woman, he has LYME!! Can't you see the circle rash??), the child does not appear to suffer repercussions.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have the exact opposite story!

My younger sister cried non-stop from ages, oh, birth to about 14. I'm not joking--it was really more common to see her crying than not, half the photos in the family album have her with freshly-wet cheeks. She would burst into tears over anything.

When she was five she fell off the arm of the couch. Total drop of about 2'. True to expectations, she started crying....and crying....and crying....and nobody was surprised. My parents tucked her into bed and assumed everything was fine. It was only when she was still crying the next afternoon that they took her to the ER and found the compound fracture.

I use this story all the time to illustrate what a PITA my sister was to grow up with. She cried SO MUCH that my parents had no reason to believe that she had BROKEN something!

5 members found this post helpful.

There were some so-called friends of the family (friends of grandparents, not my part of the family), and they had so many kids that I never even figured out how many there were. The six year old boy started complaining his tummy hurt, and everyone ignored him. After days of complaining and being ignored, he started crying and one of the older brothers looked, and saw the little boy had a huge strangulated hernia. He was rushed to surgery, and the doctor told the family that if it had gone untreated for another day or so the boy would have died. As it was he lost some intestine, and had a long recovery. So no one on here is a bad parent, because the parents in this case really didn't care at all.
    Last edited by JanM; Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'll make you feel better --

My youngest son was playing goalie for his brothers' in the backyard (soccer) and he came in saying his wrist hurt. Being a horseperson, I felt it, saw no swelling, no redness, could run my hand down it without pain -- so I said "you must have pulled a muscle, you're fine".

Only when his older brother kept telling me I should get him to the doctor a week later did we find, yes, broken wrist. There were no tears (crying) at all, and he later told me the wrist only hurt in certain positions.

I try, now, to take every injury a bit more seriously.

Even worse than kids, I did it to my horse.

I had a lovely shire who came in limping in front. Called the vets, out they came and diagnosed, "He's got an abcess, make him walk and keep him out in the field so he can move around."

For two days I'd come out and walk him...being a draft horse, he walked for me. I felt so guilty I'd tell my wife I was going out to torture my horse.

I'm out of town in a meeting on the 3rd day and I get a call. My horse has foundered in both front feet. I'd been walking my poor horse while he foundered and keeping him out on grass making things worse. 2 days later when I got home I sped to the barn, my horse was laying in his stall, shaking and moaning in pain. Talk about feeling guilty.

My vets said, "Ooops, well, we thought it was an abcess...he should recover, just give him time." LIARS and total unethical crooks. The owner of the practice even lied to me and they wouldn't euthanize my guy after 3 months of him being kept in a stall with all sorts of treatments/shoeing. A well known Maryland vet practice and evil.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Don't feel bad! I fell off a horse as a kid at a show. Went to ER and they said nothing was broken. Later when I went back because it was still hurting, they found a hairline fracture. I think it might have just been bruised at first and then actually fractured later, just walking on it, as I heard it "pop" at one point. In any case, even a broken bone is sometimes hard to detect!

When I was a kid I fell off a horse. Of course I didn't tell anybody for fear of not being allowed to ride again. But my shoulder hurt. A lot. After a couple of days I finally admitted what happened, and Mom took me to the Doc. It was a broken collarbone. When Mom was out of the room I was basically asked if I was an abused child I guess because of the delay in treatment. Mom got a good laugh for years out of that one!

1 members found this post helpful.

My friend told me a story recently about a friend of hers who got a bouncy castle for his daughter's birthday. Apparently she was nervous about it so he got in with her. And got a little too exuberant, because in the jumping around, he landed on her and broke a major bone (forget whether it was an arm or a leg, but one of the big long bones).

Added that immediately to my list of "DONT EVER DO THIS" along with going down slides with kid on lap.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was that kid. At 4 I got tossed off a pony. Cried lots and lots but mom and trainer thought I was just scared and put me back on pony to finish 30 min lesson. After lesson was over, I told mom my arm hurt and needed to go to the hospital. Again, she thought I was just sore. Wasn't until I got home and she took my jacket off that she realized my arm was pointing the wrong way. It was so bad that she had to put me under to set it.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

3 members found this post helpful.

I loaded my son into my car and drove him to the hospital with what turned out to be a completely broken femur. Sitting in that car seat had to be excruciating for him (he was 4). I learned 2 night later at my First Responder course that you should ALWAYS call an ambulance for a broken femur due to the risk of damage to the femoral artery.

Poor little guy spent 2 days in the hospital and 6 weeks in a body cast.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I broke my elbow when I was 12 and my grandmother wouldn't believe there was anything wrong. I couldn't bend or straighten my arm, so I called my Mom at work and told her I was walking to the ER, which I did, by myself (it was all of three blocks). Mom met me there, and yep, broken.

OTOH, I stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle so badly It caused an avulsion fracture (and my dumb behind walked another mile; it was during a charity walk)...and when they x-rayed that injury, they discovered an old, healed fracture in the top of my foot. They asked when I'd injured it. Um, beats me, that's the first I've heard of it. It was several years old, and I'd never known I'd broken it.