The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off - Yoga Mats

I didn't want to hijack the other yoga thread, but as another newbie to yoga I'm wondering if the expensive mats are worth the price?

I've been doing home practice with beginner DVD's until I feel confident I'm not going to fall on my face in a group class. I bought a cheap $15 mat from Target. My hands and feet slip and slide around on it, and it bunches up when I'm moving between some of the poses. I've wiped out a couple of times. I'm better at judging when I'm getting unbalanced now, but down-dog and plank still make me slip.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if going up to a more expensive mat will eliminate the slippage?

Also if you have any mat recommendations that would be great.

I'd rather spend $$$ on a mat than a trip to the doctor's office
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Dunno. I have the cheap $15 mat from Walmart I take to class and I don't have any of those issues. Maybe it's the floor you have it on. Are you on carpet? My class has a wooden floor.

I have to cheap yoga mats and layer them. No slipping then.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a $20 mat and a $90 mat. The $90 mat is slippery and useless. I stick with my cheapo. Sorry, I don't remember the brand. I know it came from Dick's and has a carry strap.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

My instructor told me to just leave my mat outside in the rain.
    It worked. After a while, it wasn't slippery anymore.

Too bad we didn't have this thread a few years ago when I started Yoga. I would have bought the cheapo, no-slippage mat! I swear the first few sessions with my new mat, I spent more energy trying not to slip, than trying to hold the poses.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Are you taking your socks off? You should. I have a cheap mat and an expensive mat. Neither are slippery but the cheap one started to fall apart and left little pieces of pink rubber on the ground in the studio so I chucked it.

Oh yes, bare feet bare hands. Slipping like crazy on the new mat, probably because I'm sweating like crazy when doing yoga (Ashtanga). It's perfectly fine now tho, and still in great shape.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I've only ever used cheap mats. Until it starts raining, you can throw a dish towel down and kind of put the heels of your hands there for downward dog. And I find certain angles will cause my feet to slip more, so for example if my feet are slipping a bit in down dog I'll move them closer to my hands.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I bough an extra thick yoga mat from Target. On sale was around $30.00. Thought I was being a big wimp at the time, now I'm so glad I did.It's great for my knees!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I have one cheap one and one expensive one. I have to say I like the expensive one much better. It is thinner (easier to do balance poses) and provide better traction.

I get mine from Ross or TJ Maxx. $50 mats for cheap, like $15/$20 and they don't slip. I have a $10 mat that I got from Target or something and doesn't slip. Both are different textures. Have you tried baby powder on the mat? Keeps mine from getting slick.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I got one cheapo one that looks like the shelf liners for the kitchen

It's been a while since I tried, I think there was no slippage though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have to use a thick spongy type mat for yoga and all the floor exercises. It is not a yoga mat as per say, and it is at least an inch. Got a thin one hate it.

Got mine at a sporting goods store. It is a Dura Mat, pro series, and is navy blue. I have it on an old piece of carpet in the house, and the mat has velcro so it sticks to it. It also folds up easy for me to take with me to class. No slipping.

Love it!

I have two manduka mats and they are totally worth it. I keep the big black mat at my yoga place and I have a smaller one, maybe it's the pro lite, at home. I use the smaller one for travel and, honestly, it's a super mat. I love it. It's not a skinny or thin, but it's also not a big heavy thing either.

Most or all mats come slick. My experience is that they become sticky through lots of washing and sweat.

Default yoga gloves and socks

I've tried using yoga gloves and socks (toeless ones - look for Toesox). They definitely stick to the mat, but sometimes I can feel my hands/feet slipping inside the gloves/socks (not enough though that I feel like I"m going to fall).

I saw some of the toeless socks at Target when I bought the mat, but I have didn't think about using them to stop the sweating and slipping. I've been doing barefoot as much as possible, although I do wear a wrap if my plantar fasciitis is too painful.

I have carpet in my house, so my mat is on carpet.

I could try the baby powder and the dish towel tomorrow night. I think I just need to make my hands/feet stop sweating!

Manduka and Jade were two of the mats I'd seen online. Amazon has quite a few too. I just didn't want to buy a new mat if they're all slippery.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

I have the manduka. Very nice mat, and no, no slippery at all. I myself don't like to wear socks or gloves. I think barefoot and hands, especially for the balance poses, are the the way to go. I would think baby power is going to make it more slippery though. Also, you really don't want to be on a thick mat. Thick mats are good for sitting poses, so some people add an extra blanket for those but not anything standing or float poses.

I like the Manduka mats too, but I'm a sweater as well and the only thing that really stops me from slipping is a YogiToes towel: http://yogitoes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JenLS View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other yoga thread, but as another newbie to yoga I'm wondering if the expensive mats are worth the price?

I've been doing home practice with beginner DVD's until I feel confident I'm not going to fall on my face in a group class. I bought a cheap $15 mat from Target. My hands and feet slip and slide around on it, and it bunches up when I'm moving between some of the poses. I've wiped out a couple of times. I'm better at judging when I'm getting unbalanced now, but down-dog and plank still make me slip.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if going up to a more expensive mat will eliminate the slippage?

Also if you have any mat recommendations that would be great.

I'd rather spend $$$ on a mat than a trip to the doctor's office
    I actually read your post and I have two comments.

Go to the group class. Falling on face or whatever is common in yoga class. NO big deal. Everyone has been a beginner. I have been going for years and there are yoga poses, heck reverse triangle can still get me!, that will help me fall on face. Acknowledge where you are in yoga and let it go. Enjoy the awkwardness. If a teacher or class makes you feel uncomfortable, then maybe it's not the right class. But go to a class!

To me, my medium-sized manduka is the perfect mat. There are others that work well also. Even with the manduka, I would wash vigorously before using to help activate the sticky element.

Personally, I don't like anything to come between me and my mat besides bare feet and hands. Most days that's enough. Every now and again though I will use my yogitoes towel. The towel is expensive and I must admit that I received it as a gift. I'm not sure I would spend the money as a towel works okay, but it does come in handy.

Buy nice mat, then the towel if you do power yoga. I do ashtanga and only use the towel in the summer on super hot days as my yoga place doesn't have central air, only fans. Hot yoga practice on hot days equals sweaty mat.

My manduka mat is wonderful :-) my mom gave it to me because it was heavy for her to carry to class. She was about to send it to Goodwill, a $90 mat used twice! Oh, mama...
    the first few times I used it, yes it was slippery. Washing the mat helps, same with just using it. My studio has spray bottles with water and tea tree oil, which I use after every class, which helps too.
    A few people in my usual classes have cheaper mats but they've practically worn holes through them. Can't say how long they've had them so maybe it takes a long time for that to happen... but my instructor also says it helps to switch the head and foot of the mat every once in a while (spin it around so your hands aren't always on the same end).
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)