The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm jumping up and down bursting with joy!!!!!!!!

I remember a topic about valentine's day last year, "what do you want for Valentine's day" I remember posting on it that I just wanted a SO.

well...

exactly one year later my dream came true!

My dad told me we need to see our chiro then we will just get dinner in town (we always do, it's not close to home). Then he said he wanted to take the family our for V-day so we should get dressed up. It was sweet. He said our friends ( won't mention their last name, but we'll call them the C's) would be meeting up with us to celebrate their two younger boys winning the homeschool science fair. We have been friends with them for about 5 years. I have liked Logan (the oldest boy still single) for quite some time and we had been in a courtship for about 3 months, but seems like it was going nowhere. I was really discouraged. But after hearing that I get to see him at least, I was happy!

So we plan for Olive Garden, but the wait was too long so they changed it to some mexican place. seemed to have no significance. After being seated outside, where we had the whole patio to ourselves (my family and his) I noticed he had my mandolin with him (I loaned it to him to play and learn while laid up from motorcycle accident) and he was returning it to me. But he said he had a song to show me that he learned first. He played "as fast as I could" by Josh Turner.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ps52a7bae4.jpg
    I didn't think much of it because I didn't think my parents had given their blessing, I thought it was odd that he was saying those words to me with out my dad aiming a shot gun at him. lol and I was thinking "is he serenading me?"

when he was done he pulled put a paper and told me to read it. everyone said it took me forever to read it. I couldn't believe it. But it was pretty much an official letter saying that both our parents have agreed to let us start a betrothal, it was signed by our parents.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ps5e63751f.jpg

Then he grabbed my hand and asked if I would be his beloved.
    :') :') :')http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ps580189d4.jpg
    after saying yes, and sobbing and lots of hugs. He said "are you ready for more?" http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...psdf01df2a.jpg

Then he handed me a box (same box I wrapped a hand made christmas gift in for him, http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...3/IMAG0470.jpg)
    that had a beautiful locket in it. He said that as we make memories together I can put them in it.http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...psa014f6a9.jpg

Oh My gosh!!! I was in so much shock! they all had this planned for over a week, he had been so patiently waiting to make it a Valentine's day I'll never forget!!! http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ps31355bec.jpg

I had to share with you all! sorry some of the photos are blurry, I'm so excited! we are now betrothed, we have the permission and blessing of our parents to marry, we will use this time to grow closer to each other and fall in love. Then he will propose. :-D

I found out later that that this little mexican place, was where he first met with my dad to pursue me in a courtship. It did have significance :-)

Thanks for reading this if you made it through my ramble! lol

2 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations.

Do you love him? It was hard to tell from your post. I am not sure if this was an arranged marriage, or not.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That is SO romantic. I want. Jets--I think she loves him big time. Look at her smile. So was just being romantic and asking the family if he can pursue her first.

1 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations! Ahhhhh, young and in love. Such an exciting time. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Wow. That is SO romantic. I want. Jets--I think she loves him big time. Look at her smile. So was just being romantic and asking the family if he can pursue her first.

Ahh..good. It did sound romantic, as far as the setting, note/songs, but the first paragraph threw me.

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I like the old skool touches your family and your betrothed have.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It is not an arranged marriage. But parents highly involved. the first few months of courtship, I didn't even really know he was pursuing me. not until basically my dad approved that he would be a good man. but dad wasn't choosing him for me. I still had to get to know him, and decide if I wanted this.

The betrothal just shows that yes, both our parents have given their blessing, but the choice was up to me. and I have chosen yes! :-D

This was all to protect my heart, so I didn't love him at first, I guarded my heart, I didn't want to get my hopes up then be broken.

even now, I have not told him I love him. I don't know that I'm quite there, I want to love him, who he is, but I have guarded my heart so much, that I don't fall in love that quickly, lol, but he's trying hard to make me fall in love fast! ha ha, it's working! he is so romantic, and such a flirt!

on Sunday we announced it to our church, and he brought me flowers, chocolate, and a journal that he wrote the song in, and we'll be sharing notes back and forth in it. He also left me a sweet note in my mandolin case that I found today.

yep, love is there! he he!

sorry if it seems confusing.

What a blessing!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Not my cup of tea by any stretch but happy you are happy.

11 members found this post helpful.

What decade is this? Time warp?

20 members found this post helpful.

Reading this was so odd. Like, rl Downton Abbey without the epic setting or something.

I mean, I'm happy for you OP. Just weirded out by the idea because I don't get the context (I understand the context of arranged marriages in some cultures, but this is not the case here as OP said, just...something else).

7 members found this post helpful.

Hey, to each their own. If it works for them, they should do it!

(I would point out, there is not too much difference between this situation and the arrangements made in other religious cultures, like Moslem ones).

Tobias, congratulations and I'm so happy that you are so happy!

Just to keep this conversation going before they close OT day, is this something your family "requires" ie would they frown if you said "Hey Mom and Dad, meet my Boyfriend Joe, we are talking about getting engaged someday relatively soon." If they did frown would you back off or hope they got over it?

This post gives a bit if background

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...66#post6819166

I'm still single (though not for long ;-) ) I have never been in a relationship, I struggled, wanted to be married by now, but God has His plan for me. It saves me from a broken heart to just wait, enjoy being single.
    I'm 25 and the guy I'm umm...interested in is 27. Fine age, he also wanted to marry younger, but now we are "investigating" each other so see if we want to move forward. (actually we do want to move forward, but are waiting for some family issues to work out first)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

4 members found this post helpful.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Congrats, and best wishes for a lifetime of happiness!

I'm curious: how old are you and do you live in Provo or Salt Lake City?

3 members found this post helpful.

Different strokes, folks. OP, I am very happy you are happy. Congratulations.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I think it is so wonderful that we live in a day and age where so many forms of dating, relationships, and courting are accepted.

think it is so neat that you have approached this relationship in a way that allows the people who know and love you best to help guide you and play a role in such a big decision.

I wish y'all the best of luck and I hope that your relationship is everything you imagine and more.

8 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations

Wow, people are RUDE, obviously religion is playing a huge role in this. So what if it's not your cup? It's hers.

Congrats OP!!

8 members found this post helpful.