The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Combing manes and tails when wet

What do you all do following baths for your horses, do you let the tails dry before combing, or start working through wet hair? My friend sprays show sheen in right after a bath then leaves the tail to dry, but I thought hair was more flexible when wet and wouldn't break...

What do you guys say?

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Thats the directions for Show Sheen and I find the way your friend does is the best for my guys.

I spray in a leave in conditioner/detangler (like Mane & Tail) and then brush while they are still damp, but not wet wet.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's much easier and kinder on the hair to wait till it's dry, though if I am impatient I will sometimes brush it will it's slightly damp.

I almost always wait until it's dry....i hate how the hair stretches, same with my own hair....makes me cringe to brush when wet. I'd rather wait til it dries and then use Cowboy Magic detangler.

Well, human hair breaks more easily if combed when wet; i'd assume equine hair is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Well, human hair breaks more easily if combed when wet; i'd assume equine hair is the same.
    Just curious but I wonder if this is true because for me it can't be. My hair must be wet, totally soaking, if i want a comb to go through!!!

Yes, I have curly hair and any attempt at brushing my hair while dry will result in awful knots, a comb stuck in my hair and tears of frustration!

So I always thought it was kinder to the hair to get untangled while wet then dry.

A long ASB tail is no quick wash session. After a thorough wash and rinse, it gets conditioned and hand picked while the conditioner is in it. After that rinse, I use an ethnic leave it hair conditioner while again hand picking the damp tail. I never touch a tail with a brush. When dry, it's braided and put back up.
    While I never use Show Sheen on a tail, manes are another story. I just wash, rinse, apply Show Sheen while wet and comb through.

My horse has a long frizzy mane and taming it is always a goal- I wouldn't want tangles drying in- and "setting" I want the mane to set as smooth and flat as possible- so yes on wet.

If anyone has any trade secrets on taming the frizzy mane- I'm all ears.

After washing, rinsing, conditioner in, THEN I comb the tail hair with a wide spaced comb. Tails here tend to be thick, though how they tangle can vary. One horse gets the big corkscrew curls, while others are just tangled from being windblown outside. After getting the comb thru the conditioned hair, I rinse it out well, braid the length up wet and tie it with a big rubberband. Tails are dry by the time we arrive at our destination, so they get unbraided, comb run thru again. They are good to go then, with minimal tangles for several days.

They have very good quality hair, plenty of it, thick hair strands, lots of shine, so being extremely careful is not an issue with them. But I did use the same method on my old Appy bred horse with a fine mane and less hair in her tail. Not rat-tailed, but not Shetland Pony thick either. Her hair was very straight, was easy to keep untangled and "flowing" appearing.

None of ours get special care outside. No tail bags or left in braids. Good hair (and hooves!) comes from a good diet, so I work on that part and enjoy their nice manes and tails without extra work. Things applied to the dry hair help keep it from being brittle, add some shine in daily life, but can be plenty of extra work for me. We have everyone turned out daily, so they are not overly pampered or wearing things that can get snagged to pull the hair right out! Seen that happen and it was NOT nice for the horse!!

I also spray liberally with Show Sheen and comb it out once it's dry. Tangles practically just fall out.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Infusium 23 worked in while wet... starting from the ends, slowly picked through with wide-tooth comb and then brushed when fully dry.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Choco, is this the watery Infusium?

I used the leave-in, thick conditioner until that bottle ran out, it was wonderful. Tangle free for DAYS AND DAYS! However the only Infusium 23 we can get now is regular conditioner, rub-in-hair after shampoo rinsed out. Then conditioner is a rinse out too. Or the watery stuff Infusium 23, for preventing wildly curly hair. Can't find the thicker, leave-in stuff anymore at all!

Any link to the kind you use, so I can view the bottle for searching?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    My horse has a long frizzy mane and taming it is always a goal- I wouldn't want tangles drying in- and "setting" I want the mane to set as smooth and flat as possible- so yes on wet.

If anyone has any trade secrets on taming the frizzy mane- I'm all ears.
    Quick Braid every day wet or dry.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Choco, is this the watery Infusium?

I used the leave-in, thick conditioner until that bottle ran out, it was wonderful. Tangle free for DAYS AND DAYS! However the only Infusium 23 we can get now is regular conditioner, rub-in-hair after shampoo rinsed out. Then conditioner is a rinse out too. Or the watery stuff Infusium 23, for preventing wildly curly hair. Can't find the thicker, leave-in stuff anymore at all!

Any link to the kind you use, so I can view the bottle for searching?

Thanks
    Yeah, this is the watery/leave-in version.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

not dealing with anything past fetlock....
    wash and rinse tail, hand pick, leave to dry. No brush.

Ok, the last horse I had descended from a Shetland pony posing as TB mare...you could brush his tail without doing damage.

but other than that, hand picking is more thorough and pretty quick when you don't have any dreadlocks to undo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have a product suggestion!

Also here.

Weirdly, the product gets poor reviews from Tractor Supply but good reviews from Schneiders. It's the same product!

At any rate, I love mine so much I called back and ordered one for my fluffy dog.

That brush, along with a dab of Cowboy Magic got through my horse's enormous tail in moments. I honestly had never combed out his forelock completely before getting that brush! It's also great as a body brush for getting through my guy's thick winter coat, which is somewhat like a draft horse (long hairs on chin and legs). When I used it inside his furry ears, he nearly rolled over and squealed.

It's a good product.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

We hardly ever comb/brush tails...I have a rule against it. Show Sheen gets sprayed on tails every few days or so about midway & down to the end. Suds-ed and hand picked at bath time; Show Sheen again and left to dry. Hand picked the next day; comb the very end of it. Seems overkill w/the show sheen but w/the greys it really helps keep their tails cleaner.

The kids will brush/comb the tail right off/out of the critter if I don't watch them. if they are really into Day of Beauu-tay, I let them have at the Baby White Rhino...he's a Haflinger/Welsh cross with enough mane for 40 horses. And he's usually toting around some gumballs or tree branches in it. They wear themselves out trying to comb through that!!