The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My corgi ate 60+ small rawhide bones *help*

Well today couldn't have been more of a Monday!

Horses were awful at work. Lost my bank card. And got home to find my 4yro corgi basking in the glory of a torn up wrapper from the bag. He somehow managed to superman his way onto my dresser (maybe the cat helped?) to where the bag was. It's the 100count bag. I'd say there were maybe 25-30 already fed out of the bag. He cleaned it up. He definately ate at least 60 of them, most likely more.

How worried should I be?

He isn't acting odd. However he hasn't thrown up or pooped at all since I found the bag and realized what happened. He has peeped and is drinking normally.

Do I make him throw up? I don't know how long ago it was. At some point between 430pm and 830pm tonight. He's used to getting one of the bones every day before I leave for work in the mornings but never this many! They are the little round ones that are about 6 inches long.

This dog has gotten into many a thing before, but never raw hides and I'm having a mini panic attack. My vet is closed and I don't want to go to the er vet if I can avoid it.

Any coth wisdom?!?
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

1) Call A vet. That's the best bet.

2) In my NOT A VET opinion, you're fine for now and inducing vomiting might be more likely to cause damage. Watch for vomiting, lack of stool, painful abdomen, etc. He very well could get obstructed. But I don't think that trying to get him to vomit will help. It could do more damage.

If I were in your shoes, I'd feed small meals the next few days. Small and frequent. Monitor stools. Look for signs of obstruction.

Hopefully, you guys will be okay. I will be jingling for you!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well we are on our way to the vet... I was waiting for a call back when I posted and I'm not willing to risk it after talking to two vets.

Jingles please!

So glad you are going to vets. That is just too many to risk not having him examined by a vet immediately. Prayers being sent up for his safety.

My cardi hoovered a pound of chocolate (out of my suitcase) and five pounds of flour (out of a supposedly childproofed cabinet) without any ill effects. Wishing his cast iron stomach on your boy. Also thinking that you might want to do some searching when you get home, in case your boy stashed some of the bones instead of eating them all. Best of luck at the vet!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Agreed----Going to the vet is the right move. It will cost you, but the peace of mind will be worth it. Of course it's not the corgi who is at fault. I know that none of mine would evvver do such a think. It must have been the cat!

Let us know what happens please.

Good luck! My dog had a cast-iron stomach for the first few years of her life. Then one weekend I went overboard on the rawhides (which she loved) and by Monday she was very sick. In that case, they really did trigger a bad response, so going to the vet sounds like the best idea. I hope everything's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post
    Well we are on our way to the vet... I was waiting for a call back when I posted and I'm not willing to risk it after talking to two vets.

Jingles please!
    That was quite a haul for the little guy, wasn't it? I would probably do the same thing. The peace of mind will probably be worth it in the end. ( hope the vet is able to resolve the issue quickly.

I am so glad you are seeing a vet. Please update us when you can.

Thanks all. I'm sitting here waiting as I hear him screaming in the back. I'm not fooled. I know those shrieks of death mean they are just trying your his front leg to give him a shot.

Well I know for certain he ate all of them. No doubt at all. They are gone. Only question is how the heck did he get to them on top my tall dresser!?! The cat? The fish? The boogie man? Corgi on stilts!? I wish I was there to witness the effort it took!

I have witnesses this dog eat 18 chocolate cupcakes, a box of Oreos and a box of fudge stripes in an hour once when he got into a college care package from my mom before I got home. You never would have know he did such a thing had I not found the trash neatly piled under my bed.

So far he's definately eaten all of them per his X-ray. They are inducing vomiting and hoping it cleara

Hoping everything goes through okay! My dachshunds have definitely schemed with the cats (or at least enjoyed the fruits of the cats' labours) to get to things way out of their stubby little legs' reach...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Poor dog! Why do I get the feeling the cat is home laughing?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Poor dog! Why do I get the feeling the cat is home laughing?
    Yup, the cat probably told him to do it. Hopefully by now you're home and all is well. I'm sorry you had such a rotten day.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Sorry for the late reply. We were there until about 1130. He was sent home after pulling out of his collar, running with no intention of being caught through the back room and screaming like a smal child when they went to give him the shot. He ended up tossing his cookies, and boy was there a lot!!! I don't know how he fit that much inside of him!

Thanks for all the jingles. He should be ok now. He's not a happy camper and does not want to do much of anything. He's not to eat today and it'll be a few days before he's allowed a full meal. And I'm seriously watching his water intake to make sure he doesn't over do it. He hasn't thrown up at all since the vet so hopefully we've made it out alive to live a life full of no rawhide ever again

I am glad your story had a happy ending. The peace of mind that comes from a late night E clinic visit is often worth the money. I think things would've gotten pretty hair if you'd let him try and pass all of that on his own.

I can imagine how pissed he is. He found and ate his weight in raw hides and everyone ruined his fun and made him barf them all up.
    When I was a kid, we had a mini Schnauzer who could somehow open closet doors. She got into my Halloween candy more than once, no matter how good I hid it. She'd eat everything except the green lollipops. Those she unwrapped and left stuck to the carpet. She was always fine even after hoovering up Hershey bars, those hard as hell peanut butter things, lollipops, M & M's, peppermint patties, Reese's Pieces, etc...
    You are what you dare.

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad your little guy is going to be ok. I had something similar happen to my little dog. I had a 10 pound yorkie/poodle mix that got into a brand new nearly 2 pound box of dog treats...these are the soft treats that look like beef sticks. She ate nearly the entire box of them. When I found her hiding behind a chair trying to consume the remainder of the box her tummy was tight as a tick. I immediately called the vet and they told me to bring her in. She stayed there all day vomiting the treats back out. When I picked her up that evening she was still feeling a little woozy but she was back to normal size. The vet told me she threw up all afternoon. When I got the bill they had only charged me $6.00 for day board! I laughed because I would have happily paid 10 times that amount and would have considered it a bargain since I didn't have to clean up vomit all afternoon!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Glad your baby's OK! As the owner of two corgis for 15+ years (as well as a feline enabler), I'm no longer surprised by what they can scarf down with no ill effects. At one time or another mine were responsible for the ingestion of a 4-pound bag of puppy chow, a pound-bar of dark chocolate, and most notably, 27 Dilaudid tablets from my bedside table where I was recuperating from shoulder surgery!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I am so glad to hear he's going to be ok! Whew.

Wow,scary...glad he's ok...Time for a safe to keep his treats.lol