The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Ariat Monaco's - HELP!

So after much deliberation I decided to bite the bullet and get new tall boots. They arrived tonight... oh, just about 5 minutes ago, and I can only get the zipper about half way up my calf. My question is to other Monaco owners, how much do they stretch? Or should I order the next calf size up.

My previous boots had a stated calf size of 13.1 inches. I got the Monaco's in their slim size, which is 13 inches, thinking I would be able to stretch that .1 of an inch.

My trainer has a pair as well and mentioned that she rode with the zipper down for a few rides before zipping them all the way up, but I'm curious if that was just due to pain or if she actually couldn't.physically.zipper.them.

I will bring the boots to the barn in tomorrow to get a few second opinions, but I figured I'd see if anyone else had the same issues, but ended up with the most gorgeous custom looking boots in the end.

Thanks!!

I have the Monacos and also got them in the slim size. My calves are half an inch different, with my right one being 13.5 inches and my left being 13. I went ahead and got a pair based on the smaller calf because I'd rather have one boot too tight than one that is too loose. I have to say, the stretch panel on the Monacos is awesome! I'd just work on getting them zipped a little further each time. Since they're brand new they'll be a little stiff, but I found that mine stretched out nicely and now look custom. I don't even feel like one is tighter than the other either. Mine have the heavy duty zippers, so I never felt like I was risking a busted zipper. Good luck!

Mine were tight when I first got them. I am in between the medium and full in the talls. The first time I put them on I thought I was going to bust them, but they ended up fitting perfect after I got them zipped and rode a couple of horses in them. Feel and look custom now. Love them.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Also, make sure that you're giving your legs and boots a fair shot of fitting. Make sure you are wearing your thinnest pair of pants at first. I couldn't get my new boots over my older TS's but they fit fine with my Trophy Hunters. Also, make sure you aren't trying them on after a day of eating lots of salt and such. Or an intense workout.... I did a lot of running/squats/weights/etc one day and the next day I could barely get my zippered boots on which I had been wearing for a year and thought were getting decently stretched out!

Same here (but not the boots, the half chaps and paddocks). Bought the slim size and couldn't move my legs much for the first few rides. I now show in them and they fit perfectly.

To help you out further, OP:

Put 'em on first thing in the morning.

Wear nylons.

Dampen the inside of the boots with rubbing alcohol.

Wear them around the house zipped up as far as you can go, for as long as you can.

Your calves will be smaller in the morning. Late afternoon/evening is the worst. They are all fluffed up then.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks for all your feedback. I feel a bit better. I was able to get one pretty much zipped up to the top last night so I'm hoping that these are my proper size. Although I am prepared for some gruesome breaking in due to the tightness... LOL. They are gorgeous though. So it's worth it!

Thanks again!

They should break in pretty quickly. The der-dau boot stretch spray worked wonders for mine.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

When I first got mine, I was unable to zip them up. Waited until the next morning, put on boot socks and that was it. It was a little bit of a struggle to get them on, but then I walked around all over in them and rode a few horses. After that, they have been easy as pie to zip up! They will stretch! My right calf is 1/4"-1/2" bigger than my left!

Wear them around the house each day barelegged but with nylons, I always do that when I buy new half chaps.

i had to ride with my zipper down a bit before they stretched. the monaco's generally do not stretch as much as other boots, but you should get just enough after they are broken in and worked out to zip them all the way. try storing them with the calf shoe inserts or rolled up newspaper in the calf to help with stretching

They will for sure stretch and mold to your legs. one thing that helps me is to run a piece of string (baling twine, whatever's handy) through the hole in the zipper pull, and use that to pull the zipper up. I find if I put my heel behind me a bit and lean forward, it makes them easier to do up. Love mine... they're great boots! Oh, and once you get them done up, ride in them and get your legs good and sweaty... then wear them around for a couple of hours. Voila.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    They will for sure stretch and mold to your legs. one thing that helps me is to run a piece of string (baling twine, whatever's handy) through the hole in the zipper pull, and use that to pull the zipper up.
    Beval sells this, which does the same thing. http://www.beval.com/Products/Brass-Zip-It/6175001.aspx

Or you could save a lot of money and buy a dog choke chain and put a hook on the end of it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NinaL aka Chrissy View Post
    Or you could save a lot of money and buy a dog choke chain and put a hook on the end of it.
    That's another option but its under $20, hardly worth the effort of finding a hook and adding it, especially if you can afford $900 Monaco boots, what's another $20?

Don't use a hook, it'll void the warranty, the trick is warm water, and they should stretch.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thanks again everyone! I am riding this evening after a long day, so don't think I will attempt to ride in them tonight. But am planning on riding tomorrow morning so hoping my legs will be nice and slim before gorging on lunch and dinner... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Same here (but not the boots, the half chaps and paddocks). Bought the slim size and couldn't move my legs much for the first few rides. I now show in them and they fit perfectly.
    Just wondering how tight the chaps were. I'm thinking of getting some and I'm .5 inches under/over in one size, on one leg and the bigger size on the other. Do you think they would stretch an inch or better to size up?
    Thanks!

It looks like they will be going back, and I have to order the regulars. Unbeknownst to me, I have two different sized calves! I can zip the right one up, but not the left. And I'm terrified that if I keep playing with them that I might bust the zipper!

Has anyone had boots stretched? I just don't want the regulars to stretch and be too big.