The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GastroMax3 as alternative to Guastro Guard ?

Has anybody used this ? Does it work ?

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...rguard%20paste

Thanks !
    Last edited by Elfe; Feb. 19, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Is it new ?
    Nobody heard of it ?

I have heard of it but wouldn't use it because there are products that have worked for me that are cheaper ie www.abler.com

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have heard of it but wouldn't use it because there are products that have worked for me that are cheaper ie www.abler.com
    Thanks !
    Have you used the granules or the paste ?

Elfe, if you are interested, I am about a month away from finishing my mare's treatment with abler's paste and will be rescoping at that time. I may start a thread then to show you guys the results, but if for some reason I forget, please feel free to PM me

1 members found this post helpful.

It's not that much cheaper than the brand name stuff.
    Click here before you buy.

I just bought 6 tubes to use as a trial. It does work out to be cheaper because there's 2x as much omeprazole in one tube of GastroMax3 as in one tube of Ulcergard. So it works out to be about $10/dose for the GastroMax3. Blue pop rocks are cheaper but I am not sure if my horse would eat then. I'm doing a little empirical trial to see if omeprazole changes his girthyness. If it does, I will have to suck it up and find a way to get him to eat the pop rocks. But for the trial, I don't want to fight so I want a product that is in a syringe that I could order and get quickly (Big Dee's took 2 days).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

One tube of GastroMax3 is 4.25 grams and Ulcergard is 2.28 grams. I have to double check whether either tubs says the exact amount of omeprazole as opposed to other stuff in the tube. They're labeled totally differently. For whatever reason the GM3 says to give 1/3 a tube. UG says 1/4 a tube for maintenance. I'm going to be annoyed if there's loads of filler in the GM3 or something.
    ~Veronica

2.28g omeprazole per tube is exactly the same as GG . . . the ad says 2.28g/tube of omeprazole. The 4.25 grams is the "proprietary formula", which probably means half of it is bicarbonate/buffer. Sorry. You are officially annoyed.
    Click here before you buy.

Grr... annoying. Well, it's only a week's worth. What's some more money in the world of owning horses.
    ~Veronica

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Elfe, if you are interested, I am about a month away from finishing my mare's treatment with abler's paste and will be rescoping at that time. I may start a thread then to show you guys the results, but if for some reason I forget, please feel free to PM me
    Yes, I would really appreciate the information.
    Thank you !

1 members found this post helpful.

Just adding my experience:

I ordered 4 tubes of GM3 to see how it compared to UG. I had given my mare 1/4 tube of UG once a day for 8 days and def saw improvements (less pacing/weaving/finishing dinner/etc). I started with the 1/3 tube/dose of GM3 and really didnt notice much of a difference until I went to 1/2 tube/dose. Even still, I really felt that I saw more consistent and stronger results with the UG but there were def improvements with the GM3. I think maybe for a horse that just a little upset stomach or maybe gets anxious hauling, etc it would work well but for anything other than that, I would go with UG or GG. JMHO.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I've used GM3 and GastroAideXtra that you can get from Big Dees...both seem to work equally as well and are a good alternative ....but even better prices than those are the Canadian Omeprazole from www.horseprerace.com ....at $7.95/tube you just can't beat it...and the horses take it much better than the others! I have a new ottb mare who just took 30 days of it...along with Succeed and she's a Hoover now!!

The GM3 worked fine for my empirical study and convinced me to go ahead and treat. Waiting for my package from Abler now!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    I've used GM3 and GastroAideXtra that you can get from Big Dees...both seem to work equally as well and are a good alternative ....but even better prices than those are the Canadian Omeprazole from www.horseprerace.com ....at $7.95/tube you just can't beat it...and the horses take it much better than the others! I have a new ottb mare who just took 30 days of it...along with Succeed and she's a Hoover now!!
    Wow, that's an amazing price! And shipping isn't much either. Why would anyone buy anywhere else? I will be ordering there.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp