The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan for Cats or Dogs

My 15 y.o. Siamese, Otto Felix, Freiherr von Domesticus -- don't laugh, Google 'Otto Domesticus', though the insurance company didn't quite get his artistocatic title and name all down -- apparently among other age-related deficits, has touches of arthritis demonstrated by radiograph, that so far has been managed a bit with Dasuquin.

One of the vets at the NCSUCVM suggested that perhaps Adequan might be a good treatment choice. She'd forgotten that I turned up in breeches the other day to retrieve Otto, and so was surprised when I explained that I'd ridden a horse for whom that was routine.

My question is whether others here experience with Adequan for cats or dogs. I would particularly appreciate hearing from the veterinary contingent.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

The clinic I worked at used it for arthritic dogs with sucess. We did use it in one cat as well. The animals tolerated it well, I don't remember any issues. It was given IM, not IA.

My Old cat gets 1cc every week. She can't hardly get around without it and is doing great on it. I ave also used it with great success with my dogs as they've aged and gotten arthritic pain
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

I have a 10.5 year old German Shepherd who has been receiving weekly Adequan injections for about a year now. I do them at home in her neck scruff. Within the first 3 injections I noticed she was able to sprint up the stairs and jump in the car on her own without falling! Those are two things she hadn't done in many months because she wasn't feeling well, but I just thought it was some old age. Turns out it is old age but also arthritis. I have tried spacing the shots out to every other week but after about 6 days she starts getting sort of slow, not as quick to jump on the couch or get up off the floor to follow me somewhere, so I keep her on weekly maintenance and she continues to bounce around like a puppy again!

I would definitely recommend it for your cat. It isn't that expensive (in the scheme of things) and you will probably notice little changes in his behaviour that indicate he is feeling a bit more youthful. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone.

Sounds good. Did I understand correctly that subcutaneous injection works as well as IM? Wonder why it's IA in horses, a particularly challenging administration route for amateurs.

In such small doses, it can't work out to be all that much more costly than is the Dasuquin I currently use, assuming I don't contaminate the vial.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Thanks, everyone.
    Wonder why it's IA in horses, a particularly challenging administration route for amateurs.
    I always gave it to horses IM. http://www.smartpakequine.com/adequan-im-647p.aspx
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Sounds good. Did I understand correctly that subcutaneous injection works as well as IM? Wonder why it's IA in horses, a particularly challenging administration route for amateurs.
    Because horses have nice, large joint capsules where we can shove stuff and the drug is particularly effective if directly injected into the problem joint.

However, Adequan sees FAR more use in equines used IM, partially because it's so damned easy for owners to give it that way. (It's also effective.)

I don't think there's a downside to giving Adequan to small animals, other than the cost. It's safe, it's usually pretty effective and there really aren't side effects.

I've also always wondered if small animal vets ever use Legend. The IM Adequan + IV Legend pair was very useful for my horse. If I ever have an arthritic small critter, I will make inquires.

I am curious about the comment about giving it subcutaneously. My vet told me to give it IM, like I do the horses.

I've just started my 9 year old Boxer on it. I was told to give the weekly loading dose and then every four weeks. I guess I will just see how he does and dose accordingly.
    Last edited by CDE Driver; Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: More thought put in to post ;)
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have used Adaquan (IM) for my Mastiffs in the past. The vet that originally prescribed it has since retired, and the mobile practice I got my last Rx from is very expensive, so have been using another local practice recently. The vet that owns the practice is all freaked out about owners giving it themselves. She is afraid owners will miss the muscle, and cause nerve damage or some such. If I want to get it through her, I have to bring the dogs in for a tech appointment each time.
    I saw improvement in my dogs with it. I am contemplating switching back to the more expensive vet, just so I can get my two old girls back on it.

I had great success giving Adequan to my older (now passed) dog. She was already on Cosequin and it was not working as well anymore so we added the Adequan and she certainly got the spring in her step again.