The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have to say that Effex is the answer as well----the conditioner, not the cleaner. Sadly, it contains whale oil. I found this out after I had purchased a bottle, so I used up the bottle and then switched to olive oil as needed.

Oh, and my saddle wasn't new when I got it, but it had been sitting around for years (I think) and I got it from a pawn shop. It's a Hennig, so the leather is doubled and wears like iron. It's noticeably softened up with time

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Sadly, it contains whale oil.
    They should replace that with baby seal oil.

1 members found this post helpful.

As always, check with the manufacturer about recommended conditioning etc products - I expect he knows his leather very well & may find some more suitable than others

I keep checking this thread to see if the pictures are working yet... I'm itching to see your new saddle!

I bought a new English made dressage saddle with an XW tree last summer, so I feel your pain. I also use the Effax in the brown container. Brought it home, sat with it in front of the tv and applied, rolled, waited til it dried, and repeated.

As for the stirrup bars, I'd be careful with that. If they are that tight, they may need to be pulled out by a fitter.

I was sent a new saddle on trial and had a horrible time getting stirrups on. In three days my horse had a super sore spot on his back where the stirrup bars had been digging into his back from being too tight. I was told "it happens," they pulled them out, and it was sent back to me. It was then very easy to get the leathers on and my horse was fine in it.

My saddle was made by a different company, but if it's as common as I was told it was, I'd keep an eye on that. Check underneath and see if you can easily feel the bars through the panels.

Every other new saddle I tried was not difficult to get the leathers on and I use Prestige's nylon lined, calfskin covered webber-type without the buckle. They are thick, but I don't notice them under my leg like I do with a pair that has a buckle.

Well, to be totally honest, I broke my new Albion SLK in by riding in the rain and then slathering it with Effax Lederbalsam... That's also how I broke my new leather half chaps and paddock boots in.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by dappled View Post
    I keep checking this thread to see if the pictures are working yet... I'm itching to see your new saddle!

dappled--the second link in the thread worked for me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    dappled--the second link in the thread worked for me today.
    Thanks!

And how lovely it is!!

As for the stirrup bars, I'd be careful with that. If they are that tight, they may need to be pulled out by a fitter.
    Agreed. A fitter. Or a random person who happens to have a specifically designed stirrup-bar moving tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ponies View Post
    When I got a new Albion, I used the Albion cleaner and balsam on it per the saddle fitters advice. She also told me to never oil it, just use the conditioner. The saddle is super- duper sot and supple now. I conditioned it daily for a few days before I even rode in it and it broke in- no time at all. Have Fun!

http://www.albionsaddlemakers.co.uk/...er-balm-1.html
    This is exactly what I did with my new Albion, I conditioned it all over for a few days before I rode in it and then made sure to condition it after each ride so buttery soft and comfy right away. Plus I love the smell of their swiss formula congrats on the new saddle!!!
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Well, to be totally honest, I broke my new Albion SLK in by riding in the rain and then slathering it with Effax Lederbalsam... That's also how I broke my new leather half chaps and paddock boots in.
    Omg, so brave!!! Lol mine hasn't seen bad weather yet.... Still being very much babied... LOL
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

OK, what is a "stirrup bar moving tool"? Is there such a thing? I'm brave enough to try it myself.
    Click here before you buy.

For thin, flexible leathers, I'd recommend the non-stitched Gary Mundy ones. Mine fit under tight stirrup bars with virtually no arguing.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.